Night driving glasses?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AnnasMerc83

Car
Mercedes 200 1983
Can anyone recommend a pair of night time, polarised glasses I could get to help with the glare from headlights?

Or maybe a treatment they’ve had on their glasses?
I tend to drive with contact lenses but can wear glasses too.

With the stupid modern, ridiculously bright, led headlights and a bit of astigmatism and am finding any excuse to avoid… which isn’t always possible!

When headlights are blindy its usually because they are aimed too high, pretty much every car i have ever done the first mot on needs the headlight aim brought down, i have considered getting a pair of these for my wife as she really seams to struggle when cars coming the other way, i did clean the inside of her windscreen and she did say it helped a lot, so i too am interested if these yellow driving glasses are worth the buy

Do they do night vision stuff?....never seen it in mine.....

I was sceptical about yellow/amber night driving glasses, but as headlight dazzle was becoming a concern I had to try something

I needed something compatible with my varifocals, so without much in the way of expectation, I bought a cheap pair of flip-up clip ons from Amazon - cost less than £7 delivered - and I was amazed at the difference they made.

OK, my prescription specs have various coatings, so I didn’t need much more than a coloured filter, but I’d say buy a cheap pair and see how you go.

I’ve found the yellow night driving glasses sold on Amazon are like a gentle tonic bath to tired eyes. Worth a punt at £6 if your eyes don’t react well to the latest million candle power LED thing coming the other way.

my optician abroad did a bunch of treatments on my specs for a fraction of the price in comparison to the UK. I have to admit they work great

When headlights are blindy its usually because they are aimed too high, pretty much every car i have ever done the first mot on needs the headlight aim brought down, i have considered getting a pair of these for my wife as she really seams to struggle when cars coming the other way, i did clean the inside of her windscreen and she did say it helped a lot, so i too am interested if these yellow driving glasses are worth the buy
interestingly one of the MB service items is to align the lights, i doubt it gets done much

Blinding lights are particularly bad on undulating roads.
Have tried yellow night driving glasses, useless

I have suffered with the increasing effect of cataract w/o knowing it.
Diagnosed by Specsavers both eyes were done by the contracting out new style at Spa Medica, for free.

Less than a year later Specsavers diagnosed a worsening of eyesight due to the developing after effects of the ops. Specsaver said it was growing crystals behind the new lenses, SpaMedica said it was growing scar tissue?? Last week Spa Medica got around to lasering the right eye. My right eye is back to v good vision.

The night driving became a fear. I was doing all I could to avoid it
The yellow lens specs, cheapos of't net, were a fair help, but not a cure.
In fact a few weeks ago I was off to collect mum with the wheelchair capable Viano, to take her for her escape from her old persons prison. I didn't feel I could drive safely so returned home. In fairness that wasn't due to headlights though.

I can now drive at night w/o the aggro to my eyes I had, but yes the competition for the brightest headlights is a failure of our legislators by allowing it.
Some cars are worse than others, and I've found Minis are particularly bad, possibly due to their swept back design.

On a flat road I guess most LED headlights (on dipped) are acceptable, but v few of our roads are like that. If I, the victim, are lower, or the attacker is on a slightly upward incline, I get a face full.
Then there are those automatically dimming lights that must first see me before dimming. Too late, the bloody thing has seen me, so got me, over a rise, round a bend, even from a distance.

We have come to a point where manufacturers have super bright headlights (does that encourage those drivers to drive faster?) We have super bright DRL's rear lights, and definitely brake lights. But some how it seems some cars are having the indicators sited more discreetly, and can't compete with the vehicles own other lighting.

With a lot of the worlds advancements I don't see improved intelligence.

Just thought my story might be useful for other aging bods who drive while increasingly saying "ffs those fing lights".

I'll expand later on but there is absolutely no clinical basis for "night driving tints". The last thing you want to be wearing at night, in the dark, is a tinted lens. Any positive feedback is purely anecdotal and has never been substantiated in a peer reviewed journal.

I'll expand later on but there is absolutely no clinical basis for "night driving tints". The last thing you want to be wearing at night, in the dark, is a tinted lens. Any positive feedback is purely anecdotal and has never been substantiated in a peer reviewed journal.
i actually have a laugh at people driving with sunglasses in very cloudy conditions. Stay off the booze and drugs people :p

I

That’s such a shame!

Is there anything that will help?
I’ve contacted my optician to see what, if anything, can be done to my prescription lenses. But if you have any nuggets of wisdom, please share!

I find wearing sunglasses, even on an overcast day, helps, as my eyes are very sensitive to light in general.

I find yellow lens 'sunglasses' a help.
A vehicle with a higher driving position helps too.

Laugh away, but sunlight reflected off of clouds can be as bright as direct sunlight.
Totally agree, I struggle to drive without sunglasses even on an overcast day.

I have heavily tinted glasses for a sunny day, and ones with a light tint for cloudy days!

I try now to avoid driving at night for all the reasons mentioned by others. Driving my wife’s Porsche is bad presumably because it’s low to the ground.
I don’t like the idea of tinted night driving glasses but I’m pretty sure that I’ve seen them on display when I’ve been in Boots Opticians.

Hi , These new lighting systems are a real pain in the ****. I must say the lighting system with all the toys and whistles are superb when correctly installed.
From memory in the 8 years I owned the car I was never flashed. ( C207E400 )
I changed my driving style rather than looking into a wall of dazzling light I keep flickering my eyes to the kerb and back and that reduces glare considerably.It really helps if the windscreen is cleaned both internally and the externally.
I have tried sun glasses that unofficially reduced glare but not convinced about the results obtained.

The real answer lies with the authorities in that headlights must be designed and adjusted correctly to eliminate dazzle.Next to impossible but a stance has to made.What has happened to the road side checks ?

My nest gripe is the one eyed monster syndrome.

When I was a boy we had local police cars on the road that proved a police presence , a rare sight now in South Worcestershire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom