Night driving glasses?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I honestly can say that apart from the odd idiot with HIDs or LEDs in headlights they were never designed for I've not really noticed the problem. My wife says they are all brighter these days....but Ive also noticed that she looks straight at them....I try to keep looking at my side of the road....where I should be rather than staring at the oncoming lights!! Maybe its the fading eyesight of you oldies!!!😄

I honestly can say that apart from the odd idiot with HIDs or LEDs in headlights they were never designed for I've not really noticed the problem. My wife says they are all brighter these days....but Ive also noticed that she looks straight at them....I try to keep looking at my side of the road....where I should be rather than staring at the oncoming lights!! Maybe its the fading eyesight of you oldies!!!😄
When I was learning to drive the new fangled ultra-bright halogen headlamps were just starting to replace the sealed beam iodide lamps. My instructor told me not to stare at them but concentrate on the nearside kerb.... How times haven't changed! :cool:

Don't think I ever had any driving lessons in the dark.......

Really? I’m 30 and I struggle.

In the car and on my bike, I’m having to regularly stop and wait. I actively avoid nighttime driving - esp in london where there’s so much going on from all directions you really cannot afford blindness for even a msec. And I know I’m not the only one, just the other day seen a standoff between two drivers with one getting out and having a right go at the other for their ridiculously bright lights (they were particularly bad!). I’ve pretty sure I’ve noticed this more on the newer cars (since 2020+).

My Porsche is rather low and small compared to newer vehicles so when another car is close up behind me their headlights shine straight into the cabin and blind me. Taller SUV’s are a real problem.
I really don’t like it.

As we age our night vision worsens and our sensitivity to glare increases. No doubt that there are some poorly aligned headlamps - and some dodgy bright aftermarket bulbs - out there, but it’s largely the uncomfortable truth of aging.

I find these bright modern lights actually painful to look at. I used to remember old London taxi headlights that were so dim they were actually quite nice to look into.

Now when I drive at night I am aware peripherally of bright lights and try to avoid being a moth and being drawn to them and instead concentrate on the darkest point on the roadside ahead of me.

I have read that wearing any kind of tinted sunglasses at night time is dangerous.

All my lessons were in the dark, quite a shock taking the test in daylight!
My lessons were in Scotland between November and March so likewise most were in the dark!
I found that to be a bonus as once I'd passed, a solo nighttime drive wasn't particularly a big deal.

There are now 4 pages on dazzling headlights indicates to me there is problem.
The same subject will come up again next winter.

I think the average age of the Mercedes owner might affect the percentage of people affected by the allegedly too bright lights. All these lights have to pass certain strict standards before they are cleared for production. I'm still sure that illegally modified lights or out of alignment ones are the cause of most dazzling....not just new style factory LED or HID lights....most of which have afar sharper cut off line with much less light bleeding over it than old style halogens.

Halogen.
1710839781221.png
LED in correct housing.
1710839963795.png

It depends on what the standards are for. Is there an actual standard for not dazzling people? I don't think there is.
Maybe another case of measure what you can rather than what you should.

There are now 4 pages on dazzling headlights indicates to me there is problem.
The same subject will come up again next winter.
There is. There always has been. We just notice it more because as we get older it affects us more. Had MBClub been around 50 years ago, there would have been a thread.

It depends on what the standards are for. Is there an actual standard for not dazzling people? I don't think there is.
Maybe another case of measure what you can rather than what you should.
If the light does not shine directly at you over a legally specified line then it should not dazzle you no matter how bright it is. I've got one of those silly bright LED torches that you can light a camp fire with......You can shine that as close to my head as you want.....and long as it does not shine directly in my face I wont be dazzled....shine it in my eye however and I wont be able to see for a couple of minutes.

Can anyone recommend a pair of night time, polarised glasses I could get to help with the glare from headlights?

Or maybe a treatment they’ve had on their glasses?
I tend to drive with contact lenses but can wear glasses too.

With the stupid modern, ridiculously bright, led headlights and a bit of astigmatism and am finding any excuse to avoid… which isn’t always possible!
I've looked at those yellow glasses they sell in petrol stations , but have yet to try any .

I agree some newer cars have terrible lights , but any I've been in don't light the road up as well as the H4 lights in my W123/124/126/210 cars - I think lighting has gone backwards .

H7 and later lights are rubbish in comparison /

There is. There always has been. We just notice it more because as we get older it affects us more. Had MBClub been around 50 years ago, there would have been a thread.
The Mercedes-benz Club was founded in 1954 ( I only joined in 1977 ) but I don't recall any such threads in The Gazette . Back then , my Ponton had tungsten BiLux lights with something like 36W on full beam ; older Pontons , like the 180 ran 6V electrics , as did VW Beetles , and would have been dimmer , but I remember feeling the lights on these cars were more than adequate ; my dad's W110 Fintail and my mum's W113 pagoda had such bright lights we used to see other people putting their hands up to mask the glare , yet these were only tungsten and pre-halogen !

The Mercedes-benz Club was founded in 1954 ( I only joined in 1977 ) but I don't recall any such threads in The Gazette . Back then , my Ponton had tungsten BiLux lights with something like 36W on full beam ; older Pontons , like the 180 ran 6V electrics , as did VW Beetles , and would have been dimmer , but I remember feeling the lights on these cars were more than adequate ; my dad's W110 Fintail and my mum's W113 pagoda had such bright lights we used to see other people putting their hands up to mask the glare , yet these were only tungsten and pre-halogen !
I would imagine that there were far fewer words and articles published in the Gazette in 1977 than there are words and posts/threads on MBClub in 2024, and so would cover the common/popular topics only.

I've looked at those yellow glasses they sell in petrol stations , but have yet to try any .

I agree some newer cars have terrible lights , but any I've been in don't light the road up as well as the H4 lights in my W123/124/126/210 cars - I think lighting has gone backwards .

H7 and later lights are rubbish in comparison /
Whether they are H4 or H7 or whatever they are the same 55 or 60 Watts filament. It's the headlight it's in that makes the difference ....reflector design, whether its a projector or not. Have you actually been in a car with modern HID or LED headlights?.... so much better than the halogen or tungsten bulbs.....its like....erm? ... night and day..... :DMy neighbours Mercs led headlights are amazing.

LED and later generation bi-xenon are indeed mind blowing in their effectiveness.

When fully automated you effectively have full beam everywhere except the specific position of approaching cars. It transforms driving on dark B roads, with no flashes from drivers coming the other way even in the darkest wettest night.

Amazing application of technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom