Night shift in Iraq

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Captain Peacock

Car
E320 cdi Avantgarde
Glad to be back, not been to good as lately, but back and as fit as a fiddle

here we have a little insight to whats going on in Iraq on the night shift in this case, if you don't like death or things like that don't view it, this is real, read the intro on the Signals site, to which I am a member, here it is, turn up the volume and see it for yourself, read the intro first then go to the video
http://www.royal-signals.org.uk/index1.html

Good video, interesting (don't you love the age of mass free media).

My freind who is now back here sent me this last nearly 18months ago whilst working as a Liason Officer in Iraq.
It's quite amazing that that helicopter was so far away and yet in pitch blackness can get images like that and work out what is happening and then finally take out the insurgents.

That footage shows why you *really* don't want to be a foot soldier in this day and age. :eek:

I wonder where the first burst of shots ended up? They didnt seem to be concerned about it in any event. :confused:

marcos said:
My freind who is now back here sent me this last nearly 18months ago whilst working as a Liason Officer in Iraq.

Yes, I think I first seen this video around 18months ago. I think it has made its way onto alot of soldiers mobile phones.

This video was in fact shot at the tale end of 2003 by a Apache Unit operating in Northern Iraq belonging to the 101st Airborne.

Hi CP Glad your back, scary stuff seen an awful lot of this from army pals.
Hope it all end sooner rather than later

SEM

I liked the Queen one. Note the subordinate at the feet of the junior officers, the things you have to do in the Navy to get your Commission.

andy_cyp said:
page cannot be found ?????

Broken link maybe ?

Ditto,
Has anyone got a copy that we access?

Regards,
John

Captain Peacock said:
read the intro on the Signals site, to which I am a member, here it is, turn up the volume and see it for yourself, read the intro first then go to the video

Your link doesn't work but thanks to Zooman I have now watched it.

Unfortunately there is no intro. Could you possibly give a brief resume of the incident?

My first question is:

How on earth does this get into the public domain?

Combat is ugly, would we prefer a platoon of regular soldiers risk their lives and try to speak to this group?

I have no idea how this helicopter 'stumbled' across this incident and was it a tractor that was also involved? The 4 x 4 is clearly close to the Mercedes lorry, but I am talking about the tractor in the field It looks like after the first shots, one of these casualties took something from it and started unwrapping it?

I do wonder about the killing of the wounded person. Getting away from the moral side of it, this person might have had information (It might have been good, or it may not, but IF he were a terrorist\insurgent then it would be highly likely he would of been a source of information.

Like Zooman, I wonder where those first shots went, but again getting away from the moral aspect. The instant the helicopter fired, it broadcast its intent and all those rounds were wasted. Luckily there was no bad guys hidden anywhere. After those first rounds were fired I was impressed by the accuracy of the weapon and the fact it fired less than one hundred rounds.

Modern military technology has advanced in leaps and bounds, we often see propaganda laser weapon accuracy, but these are cherry picked. This footage appeared to show a complete picture??

A chilling video which shows that combat is not nice.

John

glojo said:
How on earth does this get into the public domain?

A chilling video which shows that combat is not nice.

John

There is far, far worse knocking around especially on some US military forums. Some of it you could not make up if you were a propagandist attempting to blacken US activities in Iraq & elsewhere.

This is not one of the worst but shows how the process can be reduced to a form of dehumanised video game. It is shot from an AC-130U gunship which to the casual observer looks very much like one of those nice ever so friendly Hercules transport aircraft.

Except is has, for reasons that will become obvious, the nickname "Spooky" and is used for special forces close support and take-out operations. Comes with side firing 25mm Gatling-gun, a rapid-fire 40mm Bofors cannon, a 105mm Howitzer and a shedload of technology to track multiple targets. Circles at altitude and picks targets off. We all better just hope they are the "right" ones.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8082230997659400086&q=gunship

Last edited:
Satch said:
This is not one of the worst but shows how the process can be reduced to a form of dehumanised video game.

In my own mind I can justify the first video as legitimate warfare. Without knowing the full facts of your footage it is hard to condemn or condone. it is though more the computer type video game that gradually esculates.

Hopefully there was a ground unit that authorised the engagement??? It appears that authority was given to destroy the target but the occupants get out of the vehicle before it is destroyed???

They eventually start 'blowing apart' (there words) people on the ground but from the restricted footage I saw it was impossible to tell where these targets came from? Clearly because of all the shells that were exploding it would have been impossible for a ground source to offer pin point locating.

In fairness to the gun ship there did appear some accurate firing, plus there was a number of secondary explosions which may, or may not have been significant. The shell down the tunnel was very impressive.

I would certainly not want to be a ground unit that was anywhere near that incident and that is FOR SURE!!!

John

Moved plz delete post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom