Nightmare for two weeks in 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
anyone been to an Olympic city while it's on?

i have and its fantastic - cant wait

It's fantastic for those who like the events and don't mind the country being in debt for ever as a result.

For the rest of us (a majority I'm sure), it the exact opposite.

Is Atlanta not still paying off its debt from when it hosted the olympics ?

Thought it more or less bankrupted the city.

Complete waste of money .

No, Atlanta made a small profit. It was Montreal that took 30 years to pay for the 1976 olympics. And their flagship stadium is now empty of any regular major sporting activity.

It's fantastic for those who like the events and don't mind the country being in debt for ever as a result.

For the rest of us (a majority I'm sure), it the exact opposite.

We are already in debt forever thanks to you know who! :rolleyes:

Is Atlanta not still paying off its debt from when it hosted the olympics ?

Thought it more or less bankrupted the city.

Complete waste of money .

I visited Montreal in 2008, they were still paying off the Olympics of '76. 90% of the facilities are useless now....

A LOT of the money for this is coming from government coffers, which means that we are all paying for it one way or another.
I've seen three comments about Sydney.

1) There was a local economic benefit to NSW
2) The city suffered a dip in normal business/tourism
3) The rest of Aus actually lost out by a small amount

If the government want to cut the deficit quickly, they could just cut the funding to this.

We were misled about the costs when the bid was set out.

As soon as the economy turned in summer 2007 there should have been a political decision to slash and burn the budgets and tell the IOC and the organisers to stuff themselves if they were unhappy with the new arrangements.

And the disruption this will cause to the London area will just be massive. I spend a lot of time in London and spend a lot of money there while I do, but I won't go anywhere near the olympics and my money will be spent elsewhere.

Well that's our expectation.

We'll be avoiding travel to/through London during the period for business.

And this is what Sydney businesses apparently complained about.

Another cheque written by the previous administration without any thought or care as to where the money would come from and how viable it would be.

I have booked 2 weeks off in 2012...

...not to watch it, but to ensure work cannot send me to London during the games.

Im actually trying to get into the Olympics 2012 for 800m. Currently a european medalist in the juniors so i intend to make it. However they are trying to make it the most cost efficient Olympics with the facilities to be used to the full extent after the games too. Its not a total waste of money as the country needs a boost in moral imo it also needs to promote exercise as obeisity is becoming a huge problem in this country. Not going to rant and rave as i know some peoples feelings are its a waste of money but my personal view is its the best thing that could of happened for us.

Surely the first language of the Olympics should be Greek!!!:p
Damn French get everywhere!! Apologies to any French peeps on here!!

I like watching some of it, but why does it need soooooooo much money throwing at it!!!

Total and utter waste of money. I wonder what percentage of us tax payers actually want it? Personally I don't want it, others may-fine, they can pay for it!

I really hope that we don't stick to the french stuff being first ...

Can you imagine any other country in the world doing it ?

Knowing us though , we'll crack on , stiff upper lip and all that and cave in to the cheese eating surrender monkeys.

Britain is a laughing stock worldwide.

I really hope that we don't stick to the french stuff being first ...

Can you imagine any other country in the world doing it ?

Knowing us though , we'll crack on , stiff upper lip and all that and cave in to the cheese eating surrender monkeys.

Britain is a laughing stock worldwide.

it doesn't matter though .. we all know 95% of the world is listening to the English announcements :)

the costs should be shared by all the participating countries so a lot more countries would be able to host the event

Same as anything now, the true meaning of it has been lost, and it's just another money orientated event!!!!:wallbash:

anyone been to an Olympic city while it's on?

i have and its fantastic - cant wait

A whole bunch of people in Munich about 30 years ago probably wished they hadn't .

The one good thing would be to see a Concorde flying again in the unlikely event it happens .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom