Nightmare with Norwich Union

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kusanku

Car
A180cdi Avant Garde
Has anyone here had any experience of Norwich Union Car Insurence? I'm having a lot of problems with them at the moment.
I'm insured via kwik-fit as brokers, with the policy underwritten by Norwich Union. Two weeks ago, I had a minor collision, when somebody on a roundabout attempted to turn right from the left hand lane. I was in the middle lane going straight on, and he seemed not to see me, driving into the side of my car. Both cars pulled over, all exchanges were very civil, and he appologised twice for having driven into me. Unfortunate, particularly as I was going to part-ex the car soon, which will now have to be delayed. But nobody was hurt, and a clear admission of liability from the third party.

I went home and phoned kwik-fit immediately, who gave me a number to call for Norwich Union to report the details. When I got through to Norwich Union, they refused to take the details as they said there was no record of me on their system. So I went back to kwik-fit, who took the details and said they would pass them on. A few days elapsed, and I heard nothing, so I phoned back. The chap from kwik-fit spoke for some time to the Norwich Union man, before passing me over. They still claimed there was no record of me on their system, but took the accident details, and obviously all the details about myself and the car. The "advisor" somewhat irritated to have to do so, but told me to go to their approved repairer for an estimate. I have done this, and booked the vehicle in for two weeks time. All very straightforward.

However, I had some concerns. The first one was that I should not have to pay any excess as the third party has already admitted liability, whereas the repairer stated clearly that I have to pay all excesses in advance when I drop the car off. Secondly, I thought it a bit strange that the third party insurer does not want to inspect the vehicle before it is fixed, as they are going to be paying for it. Thirdly, I have received no paperwork from Norwich Union: not even a claim form. I've always had one the next day when I've had to claim in the past.

I just phoned them up to ensure that they had contacted the third party, and that he was not disputing liability. After attempting to avoid the question, it became apparent that they have not even tried to contact him yet - two weeks after the incident. When I said this was unsatisfactory, and asked when they would contact him, I was told they could not answer that question as they have not allocated a "handler" to the case yet, and probably won't do until next week. So I know for a fact they have done no work on the case, as they have not allocated anyone to work on it.

The question is what do I do about this? The third party probably thinks he has got away with it by now. Even if he still admits liability when they do finally contact him, if the car is repaired before his insurence company inspects it, I guarantee they will refuse to pay. All of this is because Norwich Union are not even fulfilling the basic requirements of the policy. I have tried speaking to them directly, and it gets me nowhere, so who should I approach next? As the brokers, do kwik-fit have a responsibility to ensure that the companies on their books actually carry out their duties? Does the Insurence Ombudsman get involved in cases at this stage?

Any advice much appreciated.

First thing is to get all the events in writing, just copy and paste the above, and send a copy to both kwik fit and NU.. this way you will be covered no matter what.

I assume you have some sort of hard copy of an insurance certificate?

This kind of thing is very distressing and on top of your problems with part exhanged etc Im sure you could do without it..

I would suggest that you put your concerns in writing to both your Broker and to NU by recorded delivery immediately. I assume you have an Insurance certificate and policy; there should be help lines, contacts and advice as to what to do if you are unhappy, in this paperwork.

Good luck and just make sure you make full notes and records of all calls ( get the names!):(

Just seen Jays post...agreed!

Hi

Have to be quick...

You don't pay any excess until you collect the car from repairer and are happy with the work, but you will have to pay your excess.

NU should approach TP insurers - you could as well to get a claim reference and find out if its been reported. Also, advise them you are getting a hire car whilst yors in in the shop. Kwik Fit might organise this for you.
Then advise them of this again in writing - email or letter.

Kwik Fit should have sold you LX cover - so use that to get your excess back from TP

If in doubt rattle Kwik Fits cage and complain - (politely) - and in writing

At this stage everything is going forward with your car due in to the shop and you not out of pocket, so give them a week or so to get sorted, but do not pay the excess before accepting the car!

Good luck

Fabes

If it is straightforward there is nothing stopping you dealing direct with the other sides insurer. Advantage is no excess to pay out and they should hire you an equivalent car.

David

If it is straightforward there is nothing stopping you dealing direct with the other sides insurer. Advantage is no excess to pay out and they should hire you an equivalent car.

David

That's what I did in a very similar scenario.

This is a **** up - if I were you I'd write to the insurance ombudsman and get someone on the case. As soon as NU hear the ombudsman is on the case you will see a massive change of attitude...

This is a **** up - if I were you I'd write to the insurance ombudsman and get someone on the case. As soon as NU hear the ombudsman is on the case you will see a massive change of attitude...

I think you may find the IOM wont want to know until you have been through the complaints procedure with the member office. In this case a complaint has yet to be made.

May be wise to get the car fixed before starting complaints procedures...

This sounds exactly like my experience with NU. A couple of things:

1) As advised above, just start dealing with the 3rd party's insurer.

2) Whatever you do, do NOT hire a car or engage in credit hire until full culpability has ben agreed between all parties (and they have all agreed that it isn't you to blame). Otherwise, you could be picking that bill up yourself. If the other party has admitted 100% liability, a loan car and your choice of repairer are normal benefits of being the innocent party.

Thanks for the replies. I think letters of complaint are definitely in order, and dealing directly with the third party's insurer sounds like the way forwards. I am amazed at how appalling Norwich Union are, considering they are hardly a small, amateur company.

I have just had a long conversation with kwik-fit customer services, who said they would arrange for the repairs to be done via the unisured loss recovery people, but this could only be done if the third party had admitted liability. Unisured loss recovery people (Albany) got on the case immediately, and contacted third party insurer. Unfortunately, despite admitting liability at the time of the accident, third party has reported the accident, but not admitted liability to his insurance company. Unsurprising, as insurance companies advise clients to never admit liability.

So I am stuck with going through Norwich Union, and then trying to claim excess back later. The one thing kwik-fit did confirm was that I should not pay the excess when I drop the vehicle off.

I looked up some of the on-line review sites last night to see how other customers find Norwich Union. I hardly found anyone with a good word to say for them. Most common complaints appeared to centre on dreadful customer service, with some people losing out when third parties were at fault because NU had not contacted or responded to correspondence from third party insurance companies. None of this bodes well, but at least I should get my car repaired relatively quickly.

That's what I did in a very similar scenario.

me too.

NU should write to the other party and hopefully they will admit liability. It doesnt matter what the Third party insured thinks - if he has put the correct events down on his claim form then his insurer will admit fault, regardless whether he does or not.

Last edited:
standard practice with NU to pay the access and they recover it later.

Unfortunately, despite admitting liability at the time of the accident, third party has reported the accident, but not admitted liability to his insurance company. Unsurprising, as insurance companies advise clients to never admit liability.

So I am stuck with going through Norwich Union, and then trying to claim excess back later. The one thing kwik-fit did confirm was that I should not pay the excess when I drop the vehicle off.
I must confess to being extremely surprised when I first read your post. I have not seen any motor insurance policy that recommends the policy holder admits liability and in my experience they always state we should NOT admit any liability?

It could be argued a driver could be in breach of a contract when they hold up their hands and do this, but i would suspect a good excuse could be shock!!! I have always maintained the circumstances of an event should simply be agreed by both parties, preferably in writing or in front of witnesses, but I do accept this might not be practical.

All you need is for the offending driver to state how they changed lanes and in doing so collided with your vehicle. Your car was travelling at a steady speed, had not deviated, or given any indication that could have caused any confusion.

A nice, "I'm sorry, I didn't see you!" is NOT admitting fault, it is simply an acknowledgement "I thought it was clear and tried to change lanes" Is a similar confession.

I go along with all the excellent advice that has been offered about going through the other parties insurance and who cares whether he has admitted liability? All that matters is that they agree with the facts regarding the incident.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom