Nikasil bore issue BMW 2000 330Ci?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSB SL AMG

MB Enthusiast
Car
300SL (R129 1992 pre-facelift), Volvo V70 SE D5 Auto Geartronic
Hi Gents,

I know some of you have good BMW knowledge, so, I have been offered a 2000MY 330Ci Convertible, been stored last 8 years on SORN, not sure as yet to storage condition, however genuine 15k mls only and I think has been moved occasionally...question I have is would this be a possible nikasill bore car or safe? or was it V8 bore only? thinking due to such low mileage it may not have been affected yet...I think safe but not sure:confused:

Any ideas on a value?, if good I am finding it really hard to understand what its worth as nothing like it on the usual market sites with that mileage? Going to view over next week...

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:
2000 model year car should not be affected.

I had a 1996 BMW 328i in the early 2000's that had the problem. Got a new engine fitted by BMW free of charge - happy days.

Well as regard the price,it all depends on the condition,as you have not seen it yet,bit difficult to give a accurate one,given it is sound and been well stored,top money about £4500,but with a car stored that long you would have to make sure everything worked.

Hi Gents,

I know some of you have good BMW knowledge, so, I have been offered a 2000MY 330Ci Convertible, been stored last 8 years on SORN, not sure as yet to storage condition, however genuine 15k mls only and I think has been moved occasionally...question I have is would this be a possible nikasill bore car or safe? or was it V8 bore only? thinking due to such low mileage it may not have been affected yet...I think safe but not sure:confused:

Any ideas on a value?, if good I am finding it really hard to understand what its worth as nothing like it on the usual market sites with that mileage? Going to view over next week...

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.
330i will be fine.

So if good with 15K mls top money £4.5K private sale...probably sounds fare, it's got no mot so some negotiation I would think...if bought I would probably just put it away...

Well as regard the price,it all depends on the condition,as you have not seen it yet,bit difficult to give a accurate one,given it is sound and been well stored,top money about £4500,but with a car stored that long you would have to make sure everything worked.

Last edited:
I had a 2001 version I loved that car, smooth to drive and nippy when you wanted it to be. Sounded lovely as well

Nikasil stopped being fitted in March 1998

Nikasil liners stopped being fitted in March 1998, so you won't have THAT issue.

However, you will have some serious work & expense to get that car rolling again after eight years so step carefully.

Pull in a proper Vehicle inspection engineer if you want to scope out the work involved.

At the very least, expect to replace all fluids and probably the tyres immediately.

Last edited:
Update: went to see it....engine ran, sounded okay, just not sure about the 8 year lay up. Apparently it was used as a photo shoot prop hence lack of any mls...jury out at mo.

Attachments

• IMAG2378.jpg
    IMAG2378.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMAG2381.jpg
    IMAG2381.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMAG2386.jpg
    IMAG2386.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 34
Precisely 15,000 miles looks odd, but surely no one would adjust mileage to that?

Only affected the *23 and *28 and old 540 (E34) I think.

*30 not affected at all.

Exactly what I thought but after going through the history docs and online MOT's it does strangely stack up:dk::crazy: the interior and engine bay condition also supported the mileage.

Precisely 15,000 miles looks odd, but surely no one would adjust mileage to that?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom