Nintendo Wii

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C240Sport97

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SL400, VW California Coast and 911 GT3
Anyone know where the cheapest place to buy is?

Also grateful for recommendation on which model and what games to buy.

The Wii is for my 10 year old godson who is recovering from serious brain injury .. his right side (he's right handed) needs encouragement and training, as does his overall physical accuracy and fitness.

Wii actually recommended by the hospital!

Thanks.

Best place to go would be GAME as they do preowned and still give a 12 month warranty.

Having gotten my first videogame console prescribed to me following a serious injury (~1year in hospital... started when I was almost 10 and got out of hospital on my 11th b-day) I know exactly where he is!

Model-wise, the Wii is nice and simple: Black or White. You may be tempted to chip/mod the console to allow it to play "backups" - though the legality of this is contested. (or at least, I'm not sure what it is!)

Gamewise start with simpler games or it will frustrate him. As his motor-skills and co-ordinaton build up, move into more complex games that require finer controls. So start with something like Wii Sports, not the latest button-mashing Street Fighter/Killer Instincts replica.

One thing to be wary of is relying on the "good" side of the body. My left arm was paralised from the elbow down; so I learnt to play the Sega Mega drive (D-pad + 6 buttons) with only my right hand. My thumb would control the d-pad and my other fingers the buttons. While this may be an easy way to beat the game, at the end of the day it's counter-productive as it prevents the brain from recovering fully and "pushing itself" to use the weaker arm/side of the body.

It will be VERY frustrating at first. He will hate it. But in not long he'll find his way.

Good luck,
M.

One issue is - whilst he requires physical rehab, would a Wii be the best thing?

Maybe it's me but I've always found the arm/body movement required to be quite dramatic.

such as:
- wii sports - running requires rapid up and down movement or arms.
- tennis, you tend to have to reach at arms length for some things
- boxing - well obviously...

Baseball and bowling would be on the easier side of things.

However, maybe just a normal games console might be better to keep him entertained? As whilst a Wii encourages some movement will it be enough, or useful?
Maybe ask the doctor involved?

One issue is - whilst he requires physical rehab, would a Wii be the best thing?

Maybe ask the doctor involved?

See below:

Wii actually recommended by the hospital!

Thanks.

Great Idea getting a Wii - I would take a look on the WiiWare online menu once you have it up and running. There are loads of simple motion control type games which would be good for him to start with.

Try E-bay or a 'cash converters' type place for a 2nd hand one or use a cashback site like Quidco (I know there's a deal for an X-box 360 £160 on there!)
I know Paul's physio said it was good after he had a stroke.

Kate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom