NIP (again)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamsh

Car
2000 SLK 320
:mad: :mad: This morning's post brought my 3rd NIP in 2years. 48mph in a 40mph zone. Must watch that right foot, it seems to have a mind of its own. It's almost enough to make me an activist.

nips

That's why I purchased the origin b2 no speeding tickets not evan a parking ticket,so I thought a sound investment equated it like this

3 points = £60 pounds + insurance increase say £70+1/3 of fine=£90 over the 3 years the fine is active = £270..2 speeding tickets double it +a bit more on insurance maybe etc...+ protecting my LGV1 licence top priority

cost of unit including fitting by the dealer and the belkin serial port 2 usb £510 been great so far fitted in ashtray not visible from outside top buy

Last edited:
How does it not get you a parking ticket ? ;)

jamsh said:
:mad: :mad: This morning's post brought my 3rd NIP in 2years. 48mph in a 40mph zone. Must watch that right foot, it seems to have a mind of its own. It's almost enough to make me an activist.

Gutted for you mate :( I would take note and go and find some form of help before you get a 4th :( Apparently the courts take an awfully dim view of chaps that clock their points up over successive fines, as it shows they are habitual speeders :( I got my ban in one go, so I got a slap on the rist and 14 day ban. The chap sat next to me in court got a 3 month ban for clocking them up instead :( go figure four times doing 8mph over the limit = 3 months doing 90 in a 60 at 2 in the moring = 14 days :confused:

peterchurch said:
Gutted for you mate :( I would take note and go and find some form of help before you get a 4th :( Apparently the courts take an awfully dim view of chaps that clock their points up over successive fines, as it shows they are habitual speeders :( I got my ban in one go, so I got a slap on the rist and 14 day ban. The chap sat next to me in court got a 3 month ban for clocking them up instead :( go figure four times doing 8mph over the limit = 3 months doing 90 in a 60 at 2 in the moring = 14 days :confused:

What kind of help does one need in order to reduce one's speed by 8mph?

Out of interest, what did the ban do to your subsequent insurance quotes?

nickg said:
What kind of help does one need in order to reduce one's speed by 8mph?

Out of interest, what did the ban do to your subsequent insurance quotes?

Three methods :D

1) buy a road angel or other speed safety device....

2) Ask to go on the police speed awareness course (run regionally and very good I am told) (basically shows you what a total **** you are for speeding )
8 miles an hour to your 2 year old is a big difference trust me :)

3) Buy a slower car :D ( I have stuck with this course of action over the years since the ban)

Getting caught speeding in a nice car is a very bad idea.

The courts take one look at it and take the view that if you are crass enough to afford it, then you are rich and stupid enough to take a fat fine (tax) I got £1000 and 14 days :D don't think that means testing will help you either the only means they are interested in is the fact that you run a Merc/Porsche/BMW etc and thats enough...

Insurance
By the time I was banned (it can take months), I had disposed of the Megane which cost about £620 in insurance for both me and GF to drive, and had a company car for 18 months when that went I bought a Saab 93 LPT cabrio, a bit more sedate (it was stuck on the works insurance till I left when I got a whopping bill for £2800 to insure it as a private individual !

that abuse carried on for the rest of the Saabs time, and half my MR2s life as well!

All in all 1 event in 15 years = about 8K :devil:

People do speed and most of us get away with it most of the time. But if you keep getting done then you need to examine how you drive because you are missing something the rest of us are not, and luck has nothing to do with it.
Dont take that as harsh words, Its what I did after the ban and it does make a difference.

What's the penalty for not providing a driver's name after getting a NIP? Or paying an illegal a few quid to act as registered keeper? Maybe it's time we stopped co-operating with the system.

Birdman said:
What's the penalty for not providing a driver's name after getting a NIP? Or paying an illegal a few quid to act as registered keeper? Maybe it's time we stopped co-operating with the system.

Had this very incident happen to me. My wife is the registered keeper and I was driving at 62 approaching th New Severn Bridge tolls (50 limit) The summons is sent to the registered keeper, who if it was not them driving must inform the authorities, who was driving or the fine and points will go to the registered keeper. Me, being the gent I am, owned up. You can change the gent word if you like :D :D Now, this is the reason when you sell your car, you MUST notify the DVLA correctly or the new owner can do what he wants and you could get the fines and points :(

Birdman said:

What did the Hamilton's do to get away with the fine?

Regards,
John

glojo said:
What did the Hamilton's do to get away with the fine?

Regards,
John
They conviced the court that they do so many miles and share the driving so that they couldn't possibly know who was at the wheel at the time. They both admitted being in the car but claimed not to know who was driving. Basically they both owned up so the court decided that they couldn't issue a fine or points as they may have given them to an innocent person.
Justice very much depends on how "good" a lawyer you can afford.

birdman said:
Maybe it's time we stopped co-operating with the system.
If everyone who got a ticket insisted on their day in court instead of meekly paying it the system would collapse in 24 hours

The double denial and double admission defence works provided you have the nerve.
But what if you have a registered keeper with no driving licence to endorse. Sure, the court will fine the keeper for failing to supply a name but provided the driver pays the fine (which he would either way) and escapes points it's a winning strategy that emasculates the gatso. Perhaps dimwit politicians would be forced to put police back on patrol and we'd get fewer uninsured, unlicenced, untaxed, thieves on our roads. Good all round.

Birdman said:
But what if you have a registered keeper with no driving licence to endorse. Sure, the court will fine the keeper for failing to supply a name but provided the driver pays the fine (which he would either way) and escapes points it's a winning strategy that emasculates the gatso. Perhaps dimwit politicians would be forced to put police back on patrol and we'd get fewer uninsured, unlicenced, untaxed, thieves on our roads. Good all round.

Thats a very interesting point. I wonder if there would be a market for a company that did nothing but be the registered keeper of vehicles... :devil:

Many many moons ago I too got a ban for speeding. It happened in Lecestershire where I was followed for six miles between 96mph and 116mph on the M1. I had no idea the police where there as they were some way back in a white Vauxhall Astra GTE with white wheels, white bumpers and no markings whatsoever. I soon realised they were police when they came along side and waved me down!

Sounds pretty bad you might think. Not so. Firstly, I knew they couldnt disqualify me without me being present in court. So when the summons appeared I pleaded guilty by post. Court accepted my plea but deferred sentencing. Second summons appears requesting me to attend. At this point I knew they intended to ban me. So I sold the car. Got a relative to drive me to the court. Letter from my employer saying I'd be fired if I was disqualified. Letter from mother saying I was the only income in the house and she would suffer financial hardship if I lost my job. Acted extremely repentant. Got a right telling off from the magistrate. He then said, can you confirm that you have no motor car? I confirmed it as true. Little point in disqualifying you then. Fine £50 AND a four week ban. Ban had no effect on me as I was cycling to work and my mates picked me up when we went out. I thought it was a right result. That was so long ago now that I dont even have to mention it to my insurers.

A close friend of mine told me of an incident with his father. His father is a builder. Driving home one evening after work and a few pints! gets pulled over for erratic driving. Police car pulls up behind mates dad gets out and walks over to the police car leaving his colleague in the van. Police officer smells drink on him, breathalyses him, he fails and is arrested. Taken down the station fails the test there also. Spends night in cell then goes home. Sure enough summons appears. Goes to court and pleads not guilty. Gasps from all around. Magistrates asks him if he failed the breath test. He said yes. Magistrate then asks him why he is not guilty. He explains that he wasnt driving. The police officer is then asked if the man was the driver or not. Police officer says yes. Mates dad shows the court the details of his van. Its left hand drive. Mates dad got out of the right hand side and walked up to the police car. It was in fact his mate who was still in the van who was driving. His mate corroborates this in court and both walk free. Police not happy. Now of course one could speculate that they were probably both over the limit. But it was then too late to prove it. Mates dad advised to sell van quickly. He did.

Alfie said:
Now of course one could speculate that they were probably both over the limit. But it was then too late to prove it. Mates dad advised to sell van quickly. He did.

Congratulations on the first example and commiserations to the local Police on the second. The constable in my opinion was incompetant. If he believed he had arrested the driver, then clearly he should then check that the passenger was qualified and insured to drive the van, and finally SOBER enough to drive it.

I will defend the Police wher I believe they need defending and with your humurous examples I am merely passing my own personal thoughts on it as a hyperthetical example. Parade the Constable before me and I will dock his pay!! :( :( :D or give him a Vauxhall Vectra!! :D

Regards,
John

glojo said:
Congratulations on the first example and commiserations to the local Police on the second. The constable in my opinion was incompetant. If he believed he had arrested the driver, then clearly he should then check that the passenger was qualified and insured to drive the van, and finally SOBER enough to drive it.

I will defend the Police wher I believe they need defending and with your humurous examples I am merely passing my own personal thoughts on it as a hyperthetical example. Parade the Constable before me and I will dock his pay!! :( :( :D or give him a Vauxhall Vectra!! :D

Regards,
John

The really silly thing was that the Police didnt even check if there was a passenger :eek: . Probably wouldnt have been an issue if they were in a car

Alfie said:
A close friend of mine told me of an incident with his father. His father is a builder. Driving home one evening after work and a few pints! gets pulled over for erratic driving. Police car pulls up behind mates dad gets out and walks over to the police car leaving his colleague in the van. Police officer smells drink on him, breathalyses him, he fails and is arrested. Taken down the station fails the test there also. Spends night in cell then goes home. Sure enough summons appears. Goes to court and pleads not guilty. Gasps from all around. Magistrates asks him if he failed the breath test. He said yes. Magistrate then asks him why he is not guilty. He explains that he wasnt driving. The police officer is then asked if the man was the driver or not. Police officer says yes. Mates dad shows the court the details of his van. Its left hand drive. Mates dad got out of the right hand side and walked up to the police car. It was in fact his mate who was still in the van who was driving. His mate corroborates this in court and both walk free. Police not happy. Now of course one could speculate that they were probably both over the limit. But it was then too late to prove it. Mates dad advised to sell van quickly. He did.

Heh heh

I always wondered who was the source of this Urban Myth.

Who'd have thought it.

Now I can tell everyone...

...it is the father of a good mate of a bloke on t'internet.

So it MUST be true!!!

:crazy:

And tonight, all across the country, blokes are telling their mates..

"The father of a good friend of mine, was in a van when..."

:bannana: :rolleyes: :bannana:

Sp!ke said:
Thats a very interesting point. I wonder if there would be a market for a company that did nothing but be the registered keeper of vehicles... :devil:

I did come across this site, (maybe posted on here) and I've sent an email just to find out what they will be offering. The site isn't open yet and clicking on the pic just opens an email. I'll let you know if and when I get a reply.

Take my Points

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom