nitrogen gas filled tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ricky s

MB Enthusiast
Car
cars
Nitrogen gas filled tyres, anyone done this and taken their car on track, in the quest for more traction, been advised by my local tyre place to do this for my next track day. Must confess to being a little nervous to doing this at such short notice, without experiencing what the changes are/maybe on the road initially.
Appreciate anyone's comments, experiences or thoughts on this, before I do or don't go ahead and do this.:confused:

Inflation gas will have no effect on traction.

Normal air is 80% nitrogen anyway.

I have my tyres filled with unobtanium , costs a bit more but the difference is incredible.

Inflation gas will have no effect on traction.

Normal air is 80% nitrogen anyway.

Whilst I had some of the logistics in my head, seems I have been sold a pup of information by local tyre centre:dk: but appreciate your quick response guys, thank you, looks like new tyres it is! but then!! am asking myself why do racing teams run with this gas in their tyres?? I must be missing something here.

Last edited:
.. am asking myself why do racing teams run with this gas in their tyres??

It doesn't change pressure so much as air with temperature.

In road cars it supposedly doesn't leak out as much as air, although it strikes me that surely over time, all that would be left in a car tyre was nitrogen as all the air would have leaked out?

I know when I've had tyres from Costco, where they fill with Nitrogen by default, the tyres pressures absolutely don't budge over time. But then they're only fitting Michelin tyres, and they were always renowned for holding their pressure.

Apparently, the main reason is bottled gases can be completely dry hence not variable with the weather like ordinary compressed air - avoids condensation inside the tyre. Nitrogen is cheap and readily available, other gases could be used...

It doesn't change pressure so much as air with temperature.

In road cars it supposedly doesn't leak out as much as air, although it strikes me that surely over time, all that would be left in a car tyre was nitrogen as all the air would have leaked out?

I know when I've had tyres from Costco, where they fill with Nitrogen by default, the tyres pressures absolutely don't budge over time. But then they're only fitting Michelin tyres, and they were always renowned for holding their pressure.

Thanks Rory, that's exactly as it was explained to me, more so as the nitrogen molecules are lager than air molecules, hence less leakage and less temperature sensitive, thinking I will just fit the SS cups now and pray for a dry day!;)
The tyre guys had told me that the tyre will then feel firmer, and have better grip, so had just been asking for peoples knowledge/experiences of this, thanks for your helpful reply.:thumb:

Apparently, the main reason is bottled gases can be completely dry hence not variable with the weather like ordinary compressed air - avoids condensation inside the tyre. Nitrogen is cheap and readily available, other gases could be used...

Thanks Balge, given what's been said, seems like, changing my tyres out is going to be a far easier route! appreciate your reply here, thank you.:thumb:

I use Helium. Reduces unsprung weight and leads to a far better ride:)

ricky s said:
Thanks Rory, that's exactly as it was explained to me, more so as the nitrogen molecules are lager than air molecules, hence less leakage and less temperature sensitive, thinking I will just fit the SS cups now and pray for a dry day!;) The tyre guys had told me that the tyre will then feel firmer, and have better grip, so had just been asking for peoples knowledge/experiences of this, thanks for your helpful reply.:thumb:

This is such bad science mate! There is no such thing as an air molecule!!!

dry air is a mix of gases that are each independent molecules. It is about 78% nitrogen gas (N2 molecule) nearly 21% oxygen gas (O2 molecule) and the last less than 1% is other gases.

If anyone sells you air molecules they are selling you a pup....
;-)

As Rory said, Costco use Nitrogen as standard.

Don't expect any noticeable difference though..

So do aircraft tyres by default... stable, dry and no/less corrosion to the al. hubs

When I was in the Air Force, we used to fill the aircraft tyres with Nitrogen, the main reason is that it's fairly inert, if a tyre gives way on landing, there's no Oxygen component to make it explosive next to the hot brakes. I can't see this being an issue for cars though.

IMO it's just another tyre seller gimmick to get you to part with some more of your cash.

I have my tyres filled with unobtanium , costs a bit more but the difference is incredible.

I asked about that but was told its hard to find.........load of hot air I assume? :D

I fill my with hydrogen. Even less unsprung weight and explosive performance. :D

Hydrogen? They used that for zepplins, so well suited to a merc:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom