Nitrogen in Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

effbee584

Car
Jag XF 3.0S and 10 yr old Micra 1.2 auto with Air Con.
'Inflate your tyres the motor sport way '

I was offered this Free by STS Tyre Pros in Norwich, so had it done.

Its mandatory in the Airline industry, been used in F1 since 1992 and was used in the moon buggy tyres.

There are lots of claims on their leaflet but the main appeal to me is that pressure should be maintained for 3/4 times longer than air.

You can check them out at STS Tyre Pros, they are Nationwide and its free , just call in.

They will also check and top up on a regular basis, all for free.

What do you think, any opinions?

They can also supply a great range of Winter tyres, at reasonable cost,
Matadors (Owned by Continental) 4 x 225/55/16's for £432.24 all in.

Helium is better. Reduces unsprung weight, so your can goes faster, uses less fuel and handles better*

*While true, you will need incredibly sensitive instruments to measure the benefits. Such sensitive instruments are not needed for the marketing benefits:)

Nitrogen makes the world of difference even more noticeable on performance cars, all our cars run nitrogen inflated tyres, try it and you'll never go back to air. Kwik Fit were also doing it free at one point

We are running out of helium!
Air contain 78% nitrogen so why would it make such as a big difference with 100 nitrogen?-not convinced especially when kwik fit charged £1.50 for a recent nitrogen inflation following a puncture repair (£20+ total)-would have been perfectly happy with air especially on a little polo 1.4 tdi!:doh:

Nitrogen does not accept moisture like normal air does so it keeps the pressures more constant.

Thats all.

You will notice your pressure remain very stable when checking them week after week.

Nitrogen does not accept moisture like normal air does so it keeps the pressures more constant.

Thats all.

You will notice your pressure remain very stable when checking them week after week.
You should always check your pressures with the tyres cold. Moisture only affects the pressure when it expands with temperature changes. Therefore the, questionable, ability of nitrogen to resist moisture uptake is irrelevent.

By all means if it is free have a nitrogen fill (actually a top up, you won't get 100% unless you start with a vacuum) you can talk about it in the pub. But if you are asked to pay for it don't bother, if you notice the difference it's the placebo effect.

Helium is better. Reduces unsprung weight, so your can goes faster, uses less fuel and handles better*

*While true, you will need incredibly sensitive instruments to measure the benefits. Such sensitive instruments are not needed for the marketing benefits:)

Helium isn't better as the molecules are smaller than those of oxygen / nitrogen so will loose pressure quicker through the (almost immeasurably) porous tyres.

Helium isn't better as the molecules are smaller than those of oxygen / nitrogen so will loose pressure quicker through the (almost immeasurably) porous tyres.

Think the post about helium was a bit tongue in cheek:)

if you notice the difference it's the placebo effect.

I can assure you that after 32 years in professional motorsport it's not.£1.50 a pop is well worth it more stable pressure for longer and hence improved mpg

Last edited:
Nitrogen in road car tyres as a ludicrous concept. It make absolutely no difference..

I think the technical term is "blowing smoke up someone's ass"

There's plenty of expert evidence on the net on why it's a waste of time..

Nitrogen in road car tyres as a ludicrous concept. It make absolutely no difference..

And theres plenty of evidence in motorsport why its not a waste of time, you think they use it just for fun :doh:

And theres plenty of evidence in motorsport why its not a waste of time, you think they use it just for fun :doh:

Don't fight boys - I feel deflated now.................

Last edited:
I can assure you that after 32 years in professional motorsport it's not.£1.50 a pop is well worth it more stable pressure for longer and hence improved mpg

I'm sceptical that it will bring any measurable benefits on a road vehicle. I can't see how a 95% nitrogen tyre content is going to be more pressure stable than 80% in road use. Tyres just don't get hot enough.

Racing and aircraft, certainly, the temperature difference are much bigger.

For a road car, I'd say checking the tyre pressures properly and regularly is a better bet.

I'm sceptical that it will bring any measurable benefits on a road vehicle. I can't see how a 95% nitrogen tyre content is going to be more pressure stable than 80% in road use. Tyres just don't get hot enough.

Racing and aircraft, certainly, the temperature difference are much bigger.

For a road car, I'd say checking the tyre pressures properly and regularly is a better bet.

I'll have to look this up but I think air is 78% Nitrogen but the destabilising effect is caused by the oxygen content @ 21% and argon content which iirc is ~1% :dk: This is not present in a nitrogen filled tyre. I just think I get consistent mpg and more stable tyre pressures using nitrogen, also there seems less corrosion on the inner of the rim. JMHO but I would be happy to spend £1.50 a corner on nitrogen fill.

Yep I agree with you 100% in motorsport it will make a difference, especially in F1 where the smallest advantage makes an impact when added to all other small percentage improvements.

Isn't garage compressed air that inflates tyres 80% nitrogen and 20% oxygen anyway ? Oh just like our atmosphere :thumb:

The second you check your car tyres (once a week) you let the precious nitrogen out and refill with "air"..

p.s. Costco don't charge for nitrogen and they gave a cheeky wink when asked does it make a difference...

Surely Costco does it for free if you are exclusive member?

Yep I agree with you 100% in motorsport it will make a difference, especially in F1 where the smallest advantage makes an impact when added to all other small percentage improvements. I Agree

Isn't garage compressed air that inflates tyres 80% nitrogen and 20% oxygen anyway ? Oh just like our atmosphere :thumb: Yes it is but because it is "compressed" air it contains higher water content than atmospheric air

The second you check your car tyres (once a week) you let the precious nitrogen out and refill with "air".. My tyres are checked with an inflation guage attached to a Nitrogen cylinder once a month no need to check once a week with Nitrogen fill

I agree it it each to their own but I'm happy with Nitrogen :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom