Nitrogen in Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I like Clarksons quote on the Nissan GTr having nitrogen filled tyres and the general attention to detail...

The attention to detail has been extraordinary. For instance, the GT-R’s tyres are filled with nitrogen because ordinary air expands and contracts too much. And each gearbox is specifically mated to each handmade engine”

Does that mean "bolted together"..?:rolleyes:

Yep but if you unbolt engine A from gearbox A and fit engine B with gearbox A they will not work. It will be in the tranmission and engine control units will be pared.

Seems a bit silly really.

Few weeks ago I had some new tyres fitted to my Land Cruiser and one set of chancers, having offered a good deal on the tyres, when it came to it tried to load on a lofty "fitting charge" that incorporated £7.50 per tyre for "Nitrogen Fill!"

Ohh we had a full and frank exchange of views on that, especially the true worth of Nitrogen fill, which is as far as I can tell is approaching next to nothing for the vast majority of road users.

Still seething about this, I recounted the tale to a workmate who looked at me blankly and then said I was wrong because he had been told by an Audi main dealer that because of the Nitrogen fill the tyre pressures on his car never needed to be checked between services!:wallbash:

'Inflate your tyres the motor sport way '

I was offered this Free by STS Tyre Pros in Norwich, so had it done.

Its mandatory in the Airline industry, been used in F1 since 1992 and was used in the moon buggy tyres.

There are lots of claims on their leaflet but the main appeal to me is that pressure should be maintained for 3/4 times longer than air.

You can check them out at STS Tyre Pros, they are Nationwide and its free , just call in.

They will also check and top up on a regular basis, all for free.

What do you think, any opinions?

They can also supply a great range of Winter tyres, at reasonable cost,
Matadors (Owned by Continental) 4 x 225/55/16's for £432.24 all in.

I had a new front tyre fitted to our CLK at this dealer and was given the same spiel about how long the pressure would last because of the bigger molecules. When I pointed out that it was a pretty small difference, the guy said, no there's a big difference. he didn't know what the difference was though. It's about 10 picometers difference. That's 10 trillionths of a metre. So when I hear of tyres deflating slower with Nitrogen, I find it rather hard to believe.

Had a look at mine yesterday, can't remember when I last checked them, but horror of horrors about 1lb of air had vanished, I bet that wouldn't have happened with nitrogen :D

Had a look at mine yesterday, can't remember when I last checked them, but horror of horrors about 1lb of air had vanished, I bet that wouldn't have happened with nitrogen :D

No it would not. I can confirm that you would have had no air vanish if your tyres were filled with Nitrogen. :D

No it would not. I can confirm that you would have had no air vanish if your tyres were filled with Nitrogen. :D

Mine are only 70% nitrogen. I feel inadequate
frown.gif

The only alternative is repeated cycles of deflation, but I can't help but think that even three cycles would still contain sufficient traces of non-nitrogen gasses?

:dk:

Let me explain my reasoning.

You start with a deflated tyre which contains 1 bar (atmospheric pressure), this contains 80% nitrogen and 20% oxygen (approximate figures for simplicity).

You then pump the tyre up to 3 bar with nitrogen, so there is now 4 times the original volume in the tyre including the original 20% oxygen. So the new mix is 95% nitrogen and 5% oxygen.

Deflate the tyre and repeat and the oxygen percentage is now 1.25%

Repeat for the third time and the oxygen content becomes 0.31% oxygen, deflate and pressure up to required final pressure ( we'll say 3 bar again) and the final oxygen percentage would be 0.078%

My cousin in the Philippines had his tyres full of Nitrogen. I wish to have this done as well. Anyone know of any place in Bristol that offers this?

Thanks!

My cousin in the Philippines had his tyres full of Nitrogen. I wish to have this done as well. Anyone know of any place in Bristol that offers this?

Thanks!

Kwik Fit filled my new tyre with nitrogen last week .
They charged £1 .50 for this service.

Do I go for helium and reduce the unsprung weight :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom