Nitrous Oxide......any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartB

Car
Mercedes C43 AMG/Aston Martin V8 Volante/Aston Martin DB7/ Mercedes S-Class
Thinking of putting NOS in one of my cars. Has anyone tried it and if so was it the reliable, cheapish performance upgrade it is portrayed as being (assuming you don't use it loads and try for too much bhp)?

PS: I watched to Too fast...too furious and it was poo and I am 36 so this is not a MaxPower type question!

Don't know anyone on here with experience of NOS - maybe Mark300SL - or he would know someone who does.

I would try the US forums for some info if I were you. There is a guy on www.e36coupe.com who seems to have sucessfully added NOS to his E36 M3, so you could also try there. I expect the jap car forums are more into NOS too.

stuart,

by what ive heard, nitrios is not cheap, also it is onl;y used for the final burst of power to get the edge in a race of 0-60 time.

no real advantage otherwise, and way too expensive!

A few guys on lexusownersclub.co.uk have Nos fitted (the only other car forums I read) and are very pleased with it. One guy has it fitted to a otherwise standard GS300 and one to an already Supercharged IS200. Have a look here and here if your interested.

One summary:
Well Mrs E not happy with lack of boot space (shopping @ bluewater is major hobby) but Mr & Mrs E were laughing stupidly when last night we armed it.....waited for the progressive controller to load up and floored the throttle in 6th at 10 mph (*10 ) and in 5/6 secs were at 13 mph( *10 ) and pulling like a train.....

In short amazing.....

I have it fitted to the Rex - But I wont use it at the moment until I have a new fuel pump fitted

Its already maxxed out on fuelling, and there is no longer enough to supply the supplementary fuelling required by the Nitrous

This is my 7th car with NOS, and every other one has been successful, though I have seen a lot of disasters through ill fitting and greed!

Mark

just make sure its a wet NOS system (injects extra fuel as well as nos)...for big HP you may need a bigger fuel pump or an extra one.

and not a dry system that just injects nos.........these are just too risky...as if the mixture goes slightly too lean you can overheat your pistons/valves ect... and bang goes your engine.

also the nos and fuel nosels must be possitioned correctly to mix with the incomming air perfectly to make sure each piston recieves an equal dose of nos/extra fuel......failure to get this right results in blown engines.

but appart from a these and a few other minor things nos is very reliable.......I've set up several systems in the past when I used to work @ a Ford garage.

If you've got a BOC depot near you its even quite cheap to refill the bottles.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom