no access to behind the driver's seat - motor malfunction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SLVee6

Car
SL 350
Purchased a 2004 SL only days ago and have found that the driver's seat won't do as it should to allow access to the rear bin. Everything works perfectly on the door buttons so there is nothing stopping it moving but when pressing the forward switch on top of the seat it goes forward 6", stops and goes back to where it came from with no movement at all from the backrest.
It will be fixed by the seller but it would help if I knew the solution first. They sell quality vehicles and are used to working on all kinds of cars but if they haven't come across this before it may take several visits and they aren't exactly around the corner.
Anyone any ideas. (passenger side works as it should) ?

Purchased a 2004 SL only days ago and have found that the driver's seat won't do as it should to allow access to the rear bin. Everything works perfectly on the door buttons so there is nothing stopping it moving but when pressing the forward switch on top of the seat it goes forward 6", stops and goes back to where it came from with no movement at all from the backrest.
It will be fixed by the seller but it would help if I knew the solution first. They sell quality vehicles and are used to working on all kinds of cars but if they haven't come across this before it may take several visits and they aren't exactly around the corner.
Anyone any ideas. (passenger side works as it should) ?
The (electric) drivers seat refused to move on a previous car and it turned out to be a pound coin in the rail. How it got there I have no idea, but worth checking that the rail is clear before spending money.

Yeah thought of that one already. The seat goes all the way forward on the door controls and there's no problem with the movement on the memory settings.
It must be something to do with whatever controls the movement specific to the switches on top of the seat.
Thanks for the reply though.

Could you try the switches from the passenger and see if it does the same?

The passenger seat works fine. If you mean taking the switches out and trying them in the driver's side that's not a bad idea. If it was out of warranty I'd try it but I'm loathe to try anything that might mark or damage anything. I'm taking it back next week to have a jammed 6 cd magazine fixed anyway. I'm just looking for ideas to give to the trader's workshop if they end up scratching their heads. Although it's only 45 miles away it takes way more than an hour to get there (over the pennines to that place they call Yorkshire) and I don't want to do more than one trip although on a sunny day the Snake Pass is a very pleasant drive.

It may be worth mentioning to them about swapping the switches over to see what happens.

Hopefully they can sort it in one trip.

Just days after purchasing my 2004 SL the passengers seat got stuck halfway when using the rear access button. I had to drive home with the seat stuck in position, fortunately I didn’t have a passenger.

Next day I motored the seat all the way forward and back a few times as well as the recline then tried the rear access button. Success, so I reckon I may have reset the action of the seat. Maybe worth a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom