No ambient lighting option in a S350D AMG Line 2014?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alfl23

Car
'14 S350D, '15 S63 Coupe, Tesla S P100D, Roadster '20, McL 720S, Ferrari F12
Yesterday I became the proud owner of a wonderful S350D AMG Line, 2014 make.

Being the simpleton that I am, shortly after revving the engine and all the goodies, I wanted to admire the interior, sadly I was disappointed to find Ambient Lighting option is nowhere inside Vehicle Settings, all I had was Ambient Lighting: Display(On or Off).

I have checked everywhere that I could, and all the brochures in the world, thought this was a standard feature. Am I wrong or is there something wrong with the car?

Thanks for the VIN. Your car does not have option 877 which is ambient lighting. Ive only ever looked at this on a W212 type car, and that needs all kinds of stuff fitted (light strips etc etc)

However, according to EPC on W222, the lighting strips may well be there on yours. just all the wiring is missing (which is actually a significant job to install, and still quite a lot of money as its all new door card looms, loom in the dashboard that goes somewhere awkward etc - if indeed EPC is actually correct and the lighting is there.
Also, the option code adds lights in all kinds of other places such as footwells, below front seats for rear passengers etc, various stowage boxes etc etc

So, in summary, it probably wasn't a UK standard feature for model year 2005 which your car is. Your car was definitely built without it. It provides extra mood lighting in the doors and dashboard and compartments etc. I think some or all of it could be added to your car

R

Richard

Hi Richard,

Many thanks for looking into it, however I can assure you my model year is 2014, the car was first bought and registered in June 2014. I'm not sure how you got 2005, something must have gone wrong somewhere.

I definitely have the new shape, no face lift, S350 AMG Line, a post 2013 model.

Regards.

Hi Richard,

Many thanks for looking into it, however I can assure you my model year is 2014, the car was first bought and registered in June 2014. I'm not sure how you got 2005, something must have gone wrong somewhere.

I definitely have the new shape, no face lift, S350 AMG Line, a post 2013 model.

Regards.

Alf, that was just a typo. According to the VIN your vehicle is Model Year 2015 and not 2014. It was delivered on 05/05/2014 (I assume delivered to the dealer or to UK, i've never worked that one out), and is a S350 Obsidian Black with beige leather.

Yes, MY2015 production started much earlier in 2014 than normal, presumably because of the facelift. (MY2005 C class started in March 2004 for instance)

Normally Model Year changes happen somewhere between June and September depending on the type of car. SL's used to happen mid year, my GLC is 2017 but was in the dealer's car store from early August waiting for 1st September

I hope that helps with the model year terminology Mercedes use. In USA they seem completely focussed on Model Year, the UK dealers don't talk about it. I guess this gives a reason for USA buyers to go and buy cars in the middle of the year, whereas we have 2 plate changes and 1st Jan all affecting used values helping dealers sell cars.

Cheers

Richard

The 'Delivery' date from the datacard is the date the car left the production line, can be many weeks before the car arrives at the dealership

Standard on AMG Line with the "Premium" pack. You're not missing much, I'm being generous describing it as "subtle".

Standard on AMG Line with the "Premium" pack. You're not missing much, I'm being generous describing it as "subtle".

Sadly it was one of the nicest features in my small book, design wise of course. By now with some degree of confidence and the reassurance of several dealers, I think Ambient Lighting is indeed a standard option even in the bare bones SE model of the 2015 S class, without any packages.

I've read I wouldn't be the first in my shoes, to have a car walk out of the factory with missing features, what's the best course of action if this were true?(e.g factory issue).

Sadly it was one of the nicest features in my small book, design wise of course. By now with some degree of confidence and the reassurance of several dealers, I think Ambient Lighting is indeed a standard option even in the bare bones SE model of the 2015 S class, without any packages.

I've read I wouldn't be the first in my shoes, to have a car walk out of the factory with missing features, what's the best course of action if this were true?(e.g factory issue).

Stick on leds work a treat.

Back in 2010 I bought a brand new 221 and it was missing the auto dipping wing mirror feature. A batch of cars had left the factory without it. Brooklands had to re-install all of the software into the car which took a day. I didn't pay a penny.

Where you would stand I'm not so sure. In theory your car isn't a full UK spec but there is bound to be small print somewhere allowing them off the hook.

It does make you wonder what else is missing though.

Yes it really does make me wonder what else has gone missing, anyway time to make a few great friends at the dealership, and take it up with Mercedes.

Hopefully it's an easy fix, but based on Richard's input the odds of that are non existent.

Not sure about the UK market but 877 should be standard for all markets on LWB cars, could be an option on SWB cars (like in Germany).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom