No ambient lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyT69

Car
2017 C class estate amg line
I recently purchased a 2017 c class estate amg line but it doesn’t have ambient lighting, and It not an option on the command menu. Do all mercedes of this age/ spec have it?

Recently purchased a 2017 c class 220d estate amg line. It has no ambient lights or any options on the menu in command? I would have thought all mercedes of this age and spec would have this ???
I find it very dark inside around the centre console and doors areas at night!!
Any info would be appreciated

Probably best to keep with the one thread on the subject. Answers split across sections gets very confusing (and annoy the Mods!)
Your first one is in the correct section

Recently purchased a 2017 c class 220d estate amg line. It has no ambient lights or any options on the menu in command? I would have thought all mercedes of this age and spec would have this ???

My 17 plate C250d had three colour Ambient Lighting! :rolleyes:

Even my wife's cheapo 2015 B-class has ambient lighting ......not the fancy selectable colour type but certainly in the footwells, doors, above the glovebox under the rearview mirror to light radio & a/c area etc .......your's must have something!

Why on earth would anyone want unnecessary light inside a car at night ???

This is just plain crazy , apart from minimum necessary light to see instruments and switches : they should ‘only just’ be visible , there should be NOTHING inside the car to distract from the view outside : otherwise you run risk of not seeing that pedestrian or cyclist all dressed in black on an unlit country road as soon as you otherwise might .

So called ambient lighting is a stupid and dangerous idea - period .

This is just plain crazy , apart from minimum necessary light to see instruments and switches : they should ‘only just’ be visible , there should be NOTHING inside the car to distract from the view outside : otherwise you run risk of not seeing that pedestrian or cyclist all dressed in black on an unlit country road as soon as you otherwise might .

I recently purchased a 2017 c class estate amg line but it doesn’t have ambient lighting, and It not an option on the command menu. Do all mercedes of this age/ spec have it?

Is it a premium or a premium plus model? If its not got either of those packs it won't have it.

The ambient lighting in my RC was in no way bright enough to distract or desensitise my night vision. I wasn't aware of it until I looked to open my door.
Clearly not dangerous or the car wouldn't gain type approval..

Ambient lighting is very subtle - it’s dim and usually low down. In old cars it was very subtle, illuminating areas in a way that meant they didn’t even look “lit” and the bulb was usually high up, carefully directed, and well hidden.

In more modern cars, it’s more visible (as it’s now considered cool) and it’s adjustable image brightness as well as colour, so it can be even more subtle, or for those who enjoy the novelty it can be brighter - the novelty wears of though!

ANY unnecessary lighting inside a car at night is undesirable, and potentially dangerous.

Just wait for the first case of a pedestrian run over at night by a car with these lights . This should , by default, be OFF with doors closed and engine running .

A driver should not be looking around the inside of a car when his attention should be on the road . Any and all distractions are dangerous.

ANY unnecessary lighting inside a car at night is undesirable, and potentially dangerous.

Just wait for the first case of a pedestrian run over at night by a car with these lights . This should , by default, be OFF with doors closed and engine running .

A driver should not be looking around the inside of a car when his attention should be on the road . Any and all distractions are dangerous.
See my post above ...
I appreciate your point of view but it's way off here. The ambient lighting is not distracting. I don't look around the inside of the car when driving. My passenger does and appreciated the soft glow. Even MB back in the 2000's had ambient lighting, from below the RVM. It didn't distract.
How much 'ambient lighting' is present in Police patrol cars, with all the tech/computers/video running?

I’m sure it would have happened by now. My 2003 C-Class had ambient lighting so I dare say that it’s been in the S-Class for 20 years or more. It’s not distracting.

See my post above ...
I appreciate your point of view but it's way off here. The ambient lighting is not distracting. I don't look around the inside of the car when driving. My passenger does and appreciated the soft glow. Even MB back in the 2000's had ambient lighting, from below the RVM. It didn't distract.
How much 'ambient lighting' is present in Police patrol cars, with all the tech/computers/video running?
IT/Comms kit in a police vehicle performs a necessary function ; ambient lighting does not .

I find ANY unwanted lighting inside a car distracting : that includes instrument and switch lighting , as well as illumination of the radio : I keep the former set to the lowest possible level and the latter turned off .

I’m sure it would have happened by now. My 2003 C-Class had ambient lighting so I dare say that it’s been in the S-Class for 20 years or more. It’s not distracting.
Not distracting to you - I don't want it , and even one injury/fatality caused by the distraction will be one too many . It wasn't on any of my W126s , nor on my W140 and I don't recall it being in the W220 , of which I've driven or travelled in several ; only been in one W221 and that was daytime .

Even Mercedes-Benz , some years ago , ran an advert stating that there was little to look at inside a Mercedes-Benz , because it was more important to be looking outside the car - something the little boys designing their rocket ship interiors seem to have skipped over when they presumably went to design school .

Not distracting to you - I don't want it , and even one injury/fatality caused by the distraction will be one too many . It wasn't on any of my W126s , nor on my W140 and I don't recall it being in the W220 , of which I've driven or travelled in several ; only been in one W221 and that was daytime .

Even Mercedes-Benz , some years ago , ran an advert stating that there was little to look at inside a Mercedes-Benz , because it was more important to be looking outside the car - something the little boys designing their rocket ship interiors seem to have skipped over when they presumably went to design school .
You don’t have to buy a car with ambient lighting, and if you buy an older car with it then you probably won’t notice for a while. If you buy a newer car with it then you can turn the brightness right down so you’d have to look for it to know that it’s on.

Ambient lighting can be an aid to safety. Whilst you should be looking at the road, upon the odd occasion that you need to look away from dead ahead, then ambient light will help you to do what you need to do or see what you need to see more quickly and more clearly. You can’t see it when you’re driving.

Vive la difference.

Anybody who is distracted by a constantly illuminated dash and switches (as opposed to brighter, flashing lights) has a bigger problem with their concentration...

That said, oop Norf in the dark skies in the middle of the highlands, it might be a different story...can the stars in the sky be turned off as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom