No Auto box gear display

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

micky13

Car
C280 w202 and 280S w108 A class w169
A170. W169. 2006 Automatic.

Diagnostic message; Transmission Control CAN Interuption [ U0101 ] DTC Status

Have just finished a timing chain renewal. Had engine out. All back in now BUT there is no display on the dash as to what gear the box is in. The car goes into gear okay. But when you go back to park there is like a ratchet noise lasts for a few seconds. Any ideas please. Thanks for your time.

Did you remove the box as well?
Maybe something to do with the shifter module.

Thanks for reply. Left the box connected to engine and removed together. Just replaced the timing chain etc. and then refitted. Obviously had to unplug electrical connection and removed selector cable from bracket and refitted. Wondered if the selector cable may need a bit of further tweeking at the bracket.

Correction for original, Does not engage gears when going into drive or reverse. Slight dip in engine but no gears. and just that rattle when going back to Park.

If you have a ramp get under the car and get someone to move the gear shifter and see if the lever at the box is moving.

If you have a ramp get under the car and get someone to move the gear shifter and see if the lever at the box is moving.
Thanks for reply. Yes did that from top and the lever at box is definitely moving.

Hope to get a mechanic friend round with his PC diagnostic and see if we can get some sort of fault code to go by. As my icarsoft one not good enough. Thanks for your time.

Try unplugging the electrical connector and connecting it again.

Thanks for the reply Bob yes I will do that but first I think will get some of that spray electrical connection cleaner and give it a go.
Well I sorted the display out. Unplugged the box electrical connection. Gave it a spray with cleaner left to dry for 24 hours. Then as I was plugging it back in I noticed there was a small red slider on the outside that you pull out to remove and when you reinsert the plug you push the slider and it locks the two parts together. When originally put plug in did not notice this slider was in loclk position so the plug did not go in as far as should and thus no connection was made. So all gears etc displayed on dash and also activates the starter cut out relay. Just got yo sort out the crunch when going to park but think it may be due to cable adjustment as removed cable and may not have adjusted it correctly. Many thanks for all the replies I had,

All sorted now. The crunch noise was the off side drive shaft spring had failed and the shaft came out of the cv joint . New cv joint fitted all okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom