no boot with webcam connected

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coupe deville

Car
93 E320 coupe sportline facelift
friend of mine has gone to Prague for a few months and rather than keep in touch with emails and mobiles we thought we would go 21st century and skype it, so i bought a webcam/mic, a technika [ model H16BD5 ]
thats when the trouble started, the pc wont boot with the camera connected, works fine if i boot and then connect the camera. i have read the destructions and it says compatable with XP at 1280 x 1024 or 640 x 480 resolution, so i reset to 1280 x 1024 and still no boot, :confused:
i have removed and reloaded camera software, no change,:confused::confused: so i reloaded XP, no change,:confused::confused::confused:, any ideas b4 i take it back for a different model :dk:

My initial thoughts are that the machine thinks it's a USB Hard drive and is trying to boot from it - so check the BIOS for the boot order.

..but do you get any error messages or the BSOD when booting?
Have you also tried other USB ports - since undoubtedly some are USB2.0 and some are not (1.1, slower).

Last edited:
friend of mine has gone to Prague for a few months and rather than keep in touch with emails and mobiles we thought we would go 21st century and skype it, so i bought a webcam/mic, a technika [ model H16BD5 ]
thats when the trouble started, the pc wont boot with the camera connected, works fine if i boot and then connect the camera. i have read the destructions and it says compatable with XP at 1280 x 1024 or 640 x 480 resolution, so i reset to 1280 x 1024 and still no boot, :confused:
i have removed and reloaded camera software, no change,:confused::confused: so i reloaded XP, no change,:confused::confused::confused:, any ideas b4 i take it back for a different model :dk:

Dave

I had exactly the same problem and I think noodle pulp is correct it doesn't recognise it as a web cam and tries to boot from it. Theres a few articles about technica products and recognition if you google it. I switched mine to a belkin web cam and problem instantly resolved

thanks for the advice guys, boot sequence is
1 - hdd
2 - cd rom
at post with camera connected it says press control/s for options then i boot into safe mode and do a system restore, think your right about trying to boot from it, gonna swap for different type, on the plus side, pc is much sharper now with the fresh XP install

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom