No buyer details for v5

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flowrider

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SL500 (R230) / Audi S5
Anyone ever sold a car but the buyer didnt give their address details for the v5. The car was collected by a Polish shipping company and the buyer wasnt present. We still have the v5.

Thanks

Had it in reverse. Bought a car where the current owner (a neighbour, no issues) hadn't actually registered the car in her name despite owning it for nine months.

A quick call to DVLA (who were very helpful) sorted it by just telling me to hand write my details on the V5.

I'm sure your problem will have a very similar and easy solution- they're on 0300 790 6802.

I think if the car is to be permanently exported , you can fill this in on the V5 and return it to DVLA , who will then de-register it .

Permanently exporting a car is akin to scrapping it .

It is an offence NOT to tell DVLA who you sold the car to.

If they were a dealer (as it sounds) fill in the yellow portion and send that to DVLA

If they were private, fill in their details on the main V5c (The UK name and address of the buyer) and send that to DVLA

You cannot fill in the export section as YOU did not export.

Basically, if you don't have their details your only options are a big fine by DVLA or report the car as stolen.

How did they pay you?

It is an offence NOT to tell DVLA who you sold the car to.

If they were a dealer (as it sounds) fill in the yellow portion and send that to DVLA

If they were private, fill in their details on the main V5c (The UK name and address of the buyer) and send that to DVLA

You cannot fill in the export section as YOU did not export.

Basically, if you don't have their details your only options are a big fine by DVLA or report the car as stolen.

How did they pay you?

The car was sold on ebay and paid for by bank transfer. We have tried contacting the buyer but have had no response. We dont know that the car was exported, but it is likely out of the country, all we know is that the car was collected by a Polish courier in a Polish registered truck. The buyer is on ebay with a location of Manchester.

we have written to DVLA explaining the situation.

DavidT99 said:
The car was sold on ebay and paid for by bank transfer. We have tried contacting the buyer but have had no response. We dont know that the car was exported, but it is likely out of the country, all we know is that the car was collected by a Polish courier in a Polish registered truck. The buyer is on ebay with a location of Manchester. we have written to DVLA explaining the situation.

Can't you use the ebay facility to get the winners contact details. Assuming the sale was "on eBay" they will disclose registered addresses and phone numbers. Similarly if you got a deposit via PayPal that could be another source of address,

I'm just wondering if the buyer as you have no details for the, may have sent you funds that may be reclaimed by the bank and you get no cash or car? That might be the doom option but it could happen.

Can't you use the ebay facility to get the winners contact details. Assuming the sale was "on eBay" they will disclose registered addresses and phone numbers. Similarly if you got a deposit via PayPal that could be another source of address,

Thanks, we are looking into that, ebay aren't exactly quick to respond.

Just fill in the blue export section and send it to DVla. You are in the clear then.

But what if it hasn't been exported, I sold it to a buyer based in UK.

How have you tried to contact eBay for the buyers details?

Last time I did this it was very simple and quick, form the Help & Contact tab, look for "Contacting a member"

"To find a member's contact information, you need to provide the other person's username and an item number from a recent transaction. You can only get another member's contact info if you have a transaction with them. When we send you their contact info, we'll send them your contact info at the same time. If their contact info is wrong or not working, contact us to let us know."

Click on the "request contact info" button, then enter the member name and item ref in the form that's displayed and it should just be emailed to you automatically. When I've done this in the past it comes through quite quickly.

Simples?

I dont think you have many options... You sold the car, its your responsibilty to know who you sold it to..
I cant see what the DVLA can do about this unless you can ascertain name and address..
If ebay then its quite easy to get as above.

Guys, we have the buyers email address and phone number but he doesn't answer his phone or respond to emails. He is still active on ebay though so I wonder if we can get his full name and address from Ebay.

OP; return the V5, filling in the transfer section with the information you have. That way you have demonstrated your obligation to notify the DVLA.
If anything untoward was to occur in the future, you can always use the eBay transaction details as proof of the sale.
In reality the likelihood of hearing anything further is practically nil.

DavidT99 said:
Guys, we have the buyers email address and phone number but he doesn't answer his phone or respond to emails. He is still active on ebay though so I wonder if we can get his full name and address from Ebay.

You definitely can get the details from eBay, I've done so before on a number of occasions. I have also posted the instructions on how to do so above, have you tried that yet? If not that is what you should do, I wouldn't delay...

Whether you get a genuine address for the individual or not is another matter ;)

Just follow the process I mentioned above it really is straightforward assuming the deal completed within eBay (i,e, they were the winning bidder and that you didn't conclude the sale "off-eBay")

If it were me and I believed the car had been exported, I would just fill in the exports section and send it to DVLA. If the car is still in the UK and someone tries to register it (unlikely) it will be for the new owner/DVLA to resolve, the important bit is that you have declared that its no longer in your possesion.

Whether you get a genuine address for the individual or not is another matter ;)

At the end of the day , you can only fill in the details you were given - even if they subsequently turn out to be false .

Joe Bloggs , anystreet , anytown , UK ........ not your fault if the buyer gave you false details and certainly not your responsibility to vet information given you by any buyer .

For anyone interested this matter is now closed, the DVLA have replied to our letter stating that they have updated their records and my son is no longer the registered keeper. Much simpler than i thought it was going to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom