No front under tray on my car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DuncS3

Car
2017 C63S Coupe, 2005 E46 M3, 1988 Audi quattro
Was out in my car this evening and heading spiritedly down a dual carriageway when I heard a 'noise' and then a smell of burning plastic - got to the end of the dual carriageway and there was an awful noise, sort of scraping - I was with a mate and we both thought I had got a puncture.

Pulled over and tyre was fine so took a look underneath and noticed that the bits of the arch liner on both sides were hanging down and had been worn away by scraping on the floor and tyre (the burning smell) - then I noticed that there is no under tray whatsoever at the front of the car and the pipes/radiator/cooler are all exposed which doesn't seem right to me. There are a few clips that don't seem to have had anything attached to them either.

I have not hit or scraped the bottom of the car on anything and there is no evidence of a broken under tray so I will follow up with the dealer tomorrow a sap but I am thinking that perhaps I am meant to have a front under tray and it isn't on my car and a result of this is that the side liners have been caught by the wind and pulled down/off..

If anyone gets a chance, can you tell me if you have a front under tray?

Some images:

Last edited:
Arch liner hanging down - like this on both sides:

3A3D321A-2535-4BD2-B18B-E735AA5D6A06_zps4vtrqsd6.jpg

Something is obviously missing not good! Off to the dealer....

Went to dealer - they put it on a ramp and have had to order in a new set of arch liners and whatever gubbins make up the undertray protection - They even said it was obvious my car didn't have an undertray as there is no evidence of one being ripped off and there are a few clips/brackets for one that looked untouched - so either it came like that from the factory or during PDI it was taken off and not put back. I didn't ask why it was like that just booked in for fitting once the parts arrive.

I'd check mine if I was one of you guys with a new saloon just to be sure!

How many miles have you done? that spouge protection looks brand new so im guessing it did have one and its either been removed or ripped off.

The car was about 7 days old, approx 700 miles - hence how clean it looked!

Car is in today having it all done under warranty of some sort - new arch liners, undertray etc. Its how the problem is resolved that really counts for customer service and I get great service from my dealership. They have even given me their brand new E63 demonstrator as a loan car (arranged by sales).

Not that you necessarily would have wanted to, but I wonder under the new Consumer legislation whether you could have rejected the car and got a refund? Genuine query!

Picked my car up tonight - they had cleaned it as well and it looked fantastic. I will take a look underneath tomorrow (when I'm not wearing a suit) but there is definitely an undertray on it now!

Picked my car up tonight - they had cleaned it as well and it looked fantastic. I will take a look underneath tomorrow (when I'm not wearing a suit) but there is definitely an undertray on it now!

Glad it's sorted now. How did you find the E63???

Not looked under mine as it's in the dealers again however I'm not surprised by this. The build quality is shockingly bad and I'm truly disappointed in my first Mercedes myself. Mine is back at the dealers for I think the 6th time now so I am close to rejecting it.

On day of collection the plastic trim on the drivers seat near the seat belt fell off. After many attempts to re-attach and it falling off finally got it replaced so that seems sorted.

However I also have a buzzing noise that comes from the passengers door even with the stereo off and on smooth roads. It's random but happens most of the time and is driving me nuts. I've finally located what is doing it and it's the bottom seat adjustment button. Pressing on that stops the noise.

However I'm not happy with the service I've had either as I do not feel like they were taking the problem seriously. I've had them tell me that they didn't reproduce it but according to Mercedes Me they never took the car anywhere than moving it into their bay and back... This is not JBD's dealer as he isn't my local one just for reference.

In theory it's a great car but the build quality is awful. Unlike DuncS3 I've got a C200 which smells of smoke currently which pisses me off even more that I'm paying for a C63S yet spending my time driving a C200...

So close to rejecting the car for a full refund. I'm lucky that I'm home based so could even hire a car and expense it but even going to Enterprise and hiring a car for a full month would be less than what the C63S costs so ending up without a car for a while wouldn't be the end of the world. Just not sure at all what I'd replace it with...

Last edited:
Oppps - sorry to hear you are having a bad time with it. Lucky you didnt have the previous gen C63 as my impression is the quality in the 205 is better than that.

Here is my new undertray! Like I said I didnt bother to pursue who was responsible for it not being there - PDI or factory...

F4DDA6DA-E348-4956-A3BC-E166F88DD620_zpsgj6jlpkl.jpg

Dunc

Last edited:
Glad it's sorted now. How did you find the E63???

errr..:) The problem was it had less than 100 miles on it so as I learnt from running in my new C63, you cant judge a car on that experience - so I didnt get to try the real character of the E. Of course its a lovely car but it is quite dated inside Tech wise, when you are used to the new C Class. The one I had seemed to have a good spec but it had no reverse camera and with a car that size I would prefer to have one (plus I am spoilt by the 360 camera in the c class).

enjoy your new car

May I suggest that the reason you do not have a tray is that somebody nicked it,or removed it to get at something else,just a thought because the foam under your car is pristine and it would be filthy without a undertray on my S320 I suppose you could just about remove the air pump and fog lights.

I'm beginning to feel rather blessed as the only real gripe I have about my 63S are the 'groans' from the rear seats in the morning when cold and that soon goes away.

Had to go over a rather large speed hump in Nottingham today and the dash groaned as that was traversed. However all was silent afterwards.

Apart from that all is good (runs off and touches wood)

My undertray dropped down along front edge yesterday.....tied it up with a shoe lace for the 5 miles I had left to do. Phoned mercedes and they sent roadside assistence out to sort. Well, so they should as only couple weeks since service. Bolts had come loose and fallen out. Glad I was only doing around 35 mph at the time......was moving a 'little' faster over previous weekend and I think coming loose then may have made me jump a little!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom