No "Halos " for F1 DRIVERS next year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
Formula 1 bosses have voted against introducing the 'halo' head protection system next season.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/36919451

_90552474_halo1_getty.jpg

First proposed by Mercedes I believe its not going to happen in 2017. More detail and background here.

_90551086_red_bull_halo_getty.jpg

Formula 1 halo: Will sport put safety before style? - BBC Sport

Last edited:
Don't shoot me but I'm kinda glad.

I'm not sure the Halo would have been strong enough to save Jules.

Or help Massa from RB flying Spring.

I'm sure it will happen one day but more R&D needs to be done.

However, the decision to NOT use it next year will be condemned should anything happen in the future.

Ant.

Just fit a windscreen bubble like on a fighter jet. Simple

Then you hit the argument about rapid egress in case of fire etc.

Also issues with rain/oil etc. (Although they seem to just follow the safety car if it's raining these days!) if there's a canopy.

It just doesn't look right. Where the halo meets the bodywork, would this not restrict the driver's vision?

More research needed methinks.

Good, never liked the look of it

I hope this 'safety device' decision does not come back to bite them of the bum.

However, the pinnacle of motorsport should be exactly that.

The ultimate in technology coupled with a relaxation of the rules that don't pander to the teams at the back of the grid.

I really appreciate the passion and financial commitment that the smaller teams have but maybe a 'no-holds barred' approach would see factory teams from a lot more manufacturers push the envelope of technology and performance.

The future is fast, the future is McLaren. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
It's too soon for this tbh. It also looks stupid.

I don't think looks come into it. all about safety. I agree it's too soon for this particular design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom