No Hot Water (in da house).

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Folks

For reasons that we do not need to discuss in here (please ;^) We have found ourselves still needing our heating/hot water system, delivering hot water on occasional evenings. It just so happened, last night was one of those nights!! Or, rather last night, was NOT one of those nights, one of those lonely old nights.

No. Our oil fired boiler decided that it would make (accompanied by a really strong fuel oil smell) all the noises that it usually does when it is making hot water, but without actually producing any hot water. It would click, followed by the re-assuring clunk, then the sound of a Meteor Jet Firing up at Full Chat, followed by the dull but comforting background roar that signifies water production has started.

I have (this is important to note) two teenage daughters and a wife, who all like to use the liquid nectar in roughly the same time period. This is why we bought an 'industrial' sized boiler with a water capacity that shame most inland reservoirs, in full flood.

Anyways. No hot water was the problem. How to ensure that there was/is hot water is the challenge. This to be undertaken under the watchful gaze of my female others.

Now, I should have added that when the boiler was going through it's warm up & pre-start routines every sound it made was in the correct order at the corect time and at the correct magnitude. It just refuse (to my eyes) to actually fire up and stay fired up. Rendering it as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Then an epithany. NO FUEL!!! I knew the tank had recently been filled (as confirmed by the league of Arab Nations sitting down to discuss my Oil Bill.

A further inspection, next to the actual tank revealed a small bowl filter housing. I undid the housing to reveal what appeared to be the pubic region on a female Sumo Wrestler. I have seen less hair in a seventies glam rock band.

Some diligent use of my air compressor to blow a fine mist of fuel oil, straight into my awaiting eye balls and gaping mouth. A rub down with a towel (presented by my lovely wife). Screw the filter back together and BOOM (no pun intended) we were off. Harmony and hot water restored. A few test firings confirmed that mix of pubic hairs and sand (sand, seriously, do not ask) had caused a catastrophic backlog of women needing showers.

Clean those filters folks. It could save you in the longer term.

Last edited:
I imagine you are currrently enjoying god like status in your house Bruce---- for now!;) My only explanation for the "pubic hair" phenomenon would be plumbers hemp or maybe some strange filter material employed by your kerosene supplier. Parallel threaded pipe joint video to follow- those who use those instant push fit pipe joints should look away now!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Well Bruce nothing like restoring hot water to desperate females,you must have been king for at least 5 mins,having strutted your stuff,and found that blocked filter,interesting it was hair,this revelation took me back 35 years when I got a call from next door because their oil fired boiler was not working,that also was a blocked filter and took me about 20 mins to locate and clean, that too had what looked like mush and hairs that earned me a case of red wine, next door had filled their tank about 4 weeks before,and as this filter blockage happened 3 times again,sorry to report no red wine came with cleaning it out,I suggested that they get the oil tank cleaned out when they had run the tank down,the people who cleaned it out reported that they thought a small animal had entered the tank and had decomposed,after cleaning it out they had no further problems for the next 6 years after which I moved.

I presume you had the correct filter removal tool , Bruce ? :D

I presume you had the correct filter removal tool , Bruce ? :D

Now, that has to win the best thought out reply of the week award?. I did indeed actually have to hand a set of Adjustable Pump Pliers/Grips (lovely job). I have now ordered up a 'see thru - filter & bowl'. That way we can get to forget we have a see-thru one and never bother to inspect it, until we run dry again.

When we moved here 20 years ago. We were given some great help with logistics etc by some of the "local" lads (ho ho ho). One of the teaks that they were most helpful with was offering to help Mrs M, by taking delivery of the pesky central heating oil. Next day (by some strange spooky event) he tank was empty again. No smell and no oil left. Hmmmmmmm

Reactions: 219
You need an air source heat pump Bruce; no more worrying if you’re going to run out of oil and they save a nice chunk of cash compared to what you spend on oil.

But more importantly, no pubic cleansing needed.

Ah... should have used V-Power.

WTF??? Are you trying to kill the guy.. at the moment he has a Meteor on full chat.. but with V Power you'll give him a heart attack + one of these:

Never mind the women how on Earth were you going to clean the Merc?:)

WTF??? Are you trying to kill the guy.. at the moment he has a Meteor on full chat.. but with V Power you'll give him a heart attack + one of these:

Not same thing.

321341-ee5f1899321562aa4a9fb6969cd27b8c.jpg

There used to be a Lightning sitting on a pedestal by the BAE factory in South Gyle Industrial Estate in Edinburgh - think its gone now and not sure what happened to it .

I also know there's a Meteor lying in the museum at the old airfield in Montrose ...

Having oil fired heating myself , I know exactly the sound . It more made me think of a DeHaviland Comet starting up , except then you get to hear that ignition sound four times :D

I guess all are burning kerosene of some sort .

grober.. .yet again, a snippet that takes me back a few years...hemp and paste. Long before the ptfe tape was born, i used loads of hemp and red stag on pipes, plugs, and all manner of things. :)
I imagine you are currrently enjoying god like status in your house Bruce---- for now!;) My only explanation for the "pubic hair" phenomenon would be plumbers hemp or maybe some strange filter material employed by your kerosene supplier. Parallel threaded pipe joint video to follow- those who use those instant push fit pipe joints should look away now!

I still have a roll of plumbers hemp and associated paste (although that is looking a little "firm"). It was left behind by an old school plumber who worked on the original and rather ancient plumbing system.

He said to keep it handy because one day you will have a problem on some fittings that none of the modern stuff will deal with :)

Had a joint on a pressure cylinder which leaked no matter how much ptfe was applied. My father (a plumbers mate about 50 - 60 years ago) arrived with hemp. Asked if I had any paste/bosswhite. Mine was all dried up. He made a trip to the fridge and came back with margarine spread. Applied the hemp to the thread with the flora - leak cured.

I empathise with Bruce about females in the house and hot water supply. In 1983, having not long bought the big family house, we had the plumbing sorted and, amongst other jobs, replaced the single small hot water tank replaced with 2 much larger ones (each about 4ft tall). Worked really well even when we had guests (2 power showers) until we had a teenage daughter - then she managed to use the entire contents of both tanks in one shower!! Like Bruce, we had an oil boiler - rated 156KBTU so not small - but I had the choice between timing daughter in shower and turning the hot off (cue earache) or wife unable to wash hair (cue even more earache!), as the boiler was not able to keep up with the speed with which they could deplete the supply.

Happy days mostly now - empty nest, downsized house, and infrequent visits from daughter, SIL and granddaughter (we go to them, they have a combi boiler!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom