No Insurance For Phone Offenders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hawk20

MB Enthusiast
Car
ML250 BlueTEC Sport Jan 2013
No Insurance For Phone Offenders

Car insurers are refusing to cover motorists caught using a mobile phone at the wheel – even first-time offenders.

The AA conducted a survey of eight insurers and discovered that half wouldn’t even quote for a driver awarded three points for the CU80 offence, while the other half would impose a premium hike of nearly 20 per cent.

And Auto Express has found that some insurers will increase policy prices for offenders even more. A spokesman for Adrian Flux told us: “Rises would vary from insurer to insurer, but could be anywhere from 15 per cent to 50 per cent or even a refusal.”

This tough stance extends to other offences, too. Our table (below) spells out the AA’s findings, and as you can see, even a minor speeding violation – an SP30 – will send premiums soaring. Seven of the eight cover providers contacted by the AA admitted that would be enough for a premium rise, and one wouldn’t even offer a quote.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/282649/no_insurance_for_phone_offenders.html#ixzz1tfAdVCWC

Cover will always be available, at a price!

Fines for mobile use whilst driving are a joke. Raise them to £1000 and 9 points should see a drastic reduction in motorists flouting the law?

Simple answer.

Stick to the speed limit and use hands free.

Glad someone is doing something about it. I see at least 20 a day using phones on the motorway. I paid £4 for a Bluetooth headset, not rocket science really.

That's ridiculous that cover would be refused for a speeding offense and a quick use of a mobile.

People who use accident managment companies and pretend to have whiplash should be refused cover, using a phone does nobody any harm.

People who use accident managment companies and pretend to have whiplash should be refused cover, using a phone does nobody any harm.

I agree with the 1st part of your post.
BUT using a mobile phone whilst driving causes numerous accidents, some fatal.
Motorists who text whilst driving should be shot on sight !

Hi

I agree with post above, I too see many young
drivers in all situations on the phone, clearly not
in control of their car... and what about pedestrians
too, either yapping or with headphones on.

This needs much firmer action, I think they should
be taught a lesson hopefully in their pocket
and not with an accident.

Ian

Mr. B said:
I agree with the 1st part of your post.
BUT using a mobile phone whilst driving causes numerous accidents, some fatal.
Motorists who text whilst driving should be shot on sight !

Can we do that to car thieves, work avoiding scum etc as well please?

Mr. B said:
Simple answer.

Stick to the speed limit and use hands free.

I love pre wire in my car. I was on the hands free doing a ton down the motorway until a busty blonde traffic cop gave me some punishment. I should have got her number and had dirty phone s*x on the hands free. A hard on would make run down the M5 seem like a rub down.

10 years out of date, sponsored by AT&T wireless, plenty of "insufficient data / research but we've formed the following conclusion..." statements. I'd lose my job for producing a summary like that.

Something like this report, backed by proper data and methodology, is far better. Or if you'd prefer a US summary, this contains some good summary (page 13) and a list of research papers as well.

Having seen the results of what can happen in a crash caused by the driver using their phone, on Traffic Cops, tells you all you need to know about whether it is safe or not.

You have to draw the line somewhere as I've no doubt it affects some more than others - but you cannot measure that so it is all or nothing and nothing is certainly the safest.

Hands-free is hardly an expensive technology these days and a lot of newer cars have it built in.

If insurers refuse cover to those caught using a phone whilst driving, or massively increase their premiums, it will lead to a huge increase in the number of un-insured drivers on our roads. There are more than enough of those already.

Texting while driving is madness and I wonder why anyone needs fines from the government to make them realise this. However, how is talking with your phone glued to your ear any more dangerous than fiddling with your SatNav, searching for 5Live on the radio, eating an XL Big Mac e.t.c.

I do not illegally use my phone when driving as I have pre wiring but before it became illegal, I never had a problem with using my phone. infact I hit the kerb at 50MPH on an A road and only just managed not to spin out of control while messing with the bluetooth GPS receiver of an old style SatNav system I had.

I don't find using a phone difficult in general whilst driving but the pivot tables in sharepoint can be a little tricky to do on such a small screen whilst driving.. they need to integrate a trackpad on the steering wheel and have a bigger command screen...

redbaron said:
I don't find using a phone difficult in general whilst driving but the pivot tables in sharepoint can be a little tricky to do on such a small screen whilst driving.. they need to integrate a trackpad on the steering wheel and have a bigger command screen...

Wimp. Going on Facebook and posting on here on tight twisty roads. Mercedes need to upgrade the dampers on these cars as typing on my iPhone is very difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom