No kickdown / no acceleration.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

futsysmids

While driving back from seeing a customer today, I decided rather than take the motorway, I would take the scenic route home.

While I was happy to pootle along and enjoy the scenery when I wanted to accelerate the car wouldn't accelerate fast enough nor would it go into kickdown when I depressed my foot flat to floor.

I suppose I limped to the local supermarket and went in. When I came out and went the rest of the way home the car was fine, accelerates fine and kickdown worked as it should.

Any ideas why their seemed to be a glich in the system???

My car is a 93k, fsh, C180 5spd auto on a 1997 plate.

I took the car out again a couple of hours later and the car performed perfectly. I did however get stuck in a hour long traffic jam on the A20 - which caused my car to jump and splutter when trying to move off at low speed when crawling in traffic or having stopped for a minute or two.

Don't know what caused that???

When I got out of the traffic jam and was heading through home at normal and above normal speeds the car was fine.

Does anyone have any ideas? I see that I have had a lot of people look at the post but no replies.

Btw - the gearbox was serviced about a year ago when the rear main oil seal and head gasket were replaced - so fluid levels should be fine. I can't see it being the selector rods as the Haynes manual suggests.

Last edited:
Possibly the MAS which senses the amount of air entering the engine. They can cause flat performance and some jerks when malfunctioning.

It will run when disconnected, if better then it's almost certainly suspect.

Possibly the MAS which senses the amount of air entering the engine. They can cause flat performance and some jerks when malfunctioning.

It will run when disconnected, if better then it's almost certainly suspect.

I assume you mean the MAF? This was replaced just over a year ago.

I'm no expert on MB's but on Smarts the kickdown is done as an extra 'notch' on the accelerator pedal, if the pedal is faulty it could cause these faults.

Kate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom