No kickdown, no revs above 3000 rpm. New MAF made no difference.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

almad77b

Car
W210 E320 CDI Estate (2001)
Hi guys first post, I have a 2001 w210 e320 estate.

I've done quite a bit of reading and was convinced my issue was the MAF. I replaced this tonight with a Pierburg model from Eurocarparts but it hasn't made a difference. It's still slow to accelerate, wont kickdown and I can't get it to go above 3000 rpm. When it gets going its great but just sluggish to get there.

Any ideas what else this could be?

Also does it take time for the new MAF to 'bed in' or should I have noticed an immediate improvement.

Thanks in advance.

Should get the fault codes read, there is absolutely no point in guessing, especially on a cdi, air mass, intercooler, boost pipes, egr, inlet port shut motor or flaps, throttle position sensor, fuel delivery side of thing but this usually results in a warning on the dash.

I'd imagine inlet port shut off but get a machine on it.

Auto-mobile said:
Should get the fault codes read, there is absolutely no point in guessing, especially on a cdi, air mass, intercooler, boost pipes, egr, inlet port shut motor or flaps, throttle position sensor, fuel delivery side of thing but this usually results in a warning on the dash.

I'd imagine inlet port shut off but get a machine on it.

It's a straight six. The one thing it won't be is inlet port shut off

Thanks sincerely guys I thought I had paid a local Indy to read the codes and this is what they came up with, although I'm starting to lose a little confidence that it was even on the diag machine.

Looks like I may have to get this done at another Indy with a good rep.

I'm absolutely skint but I guess this may be more economical than randomly changing more parts.

Could the new MAF be faulty, would ECP likely replace it?

*edit - there are no faults via the dash display.

The maf needs to be boot strapped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mixture formation adaptation reset done via a star machine. Putting on a new maf and then expecting it to change is not the case

I had an issue in my S320cdi, I replaced the MAF sensor even though it was 5 months old and it made no difference, turned out the housing on my turbo had broken and the turbo was running but directing the power correctly.

I am looking to replace the turbo soon as it currently only gives 50% power.

I've bitten the bullet and booked it in for the proper diagnostic checks on Monday.

I'll detail any findings.

The maf needs to be boot strapped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mixture formation adaptation reset done via a star machine. Putting on a new maf and then expecting it to change is not the case

I replaced my MAF on the same car, with the same part from the same place as the OP and it cured the fault straight away

MAF/MAS is plug and play.

How do you know it's a Cdi?

Guys thanks for the continued input. It is a CDI, incidentally.

A further slight update, I disconnected the new MAF completely and took the car a run on the motorway, immediately the power/acceleration improved with the MAF disconnected.

I'm far from knowledgeable on these matters but does this suggest a faulty (new) MAF?

Yes it does change through the gears with the MAF both connected and disconnected, it actually runs really well at higher speeds, it's just sluggish to get there.

You need to read he actual values with the engine running via a Diagnostic machine, to see if the air mass value rises with throttle input.
Boost pressure sensors fail on those, split intercoolers and top intercooler pipes, also Turbo actuators............. the list goes on.
Get it on a Star machine :thumb:

I replaced my MAF on the same car, with the same part from the same place as the OP and it cured the fault straight away

It can do but normally you will need to do a boot strap!! Trust me the OPs MAF requires boot strapping. The new MAF is not faulty.

AMG19 said:
It can do but normally you will need to do a boot strap!! Trust me the OPs MAF requires boot strapping. The new MAF is not faulty.

Err no.

It's a diesel.

Gents excuse my ignorance but what is boot strapping and do we have a concensus on whether I need to have this done or not?

It's booked in to a reputable Indy on Monday to go on the diag machine but it's £55 I could do without spending if possible.

Again thanks for all the contributions.

I suspect as the op said the maf was a Peirburg made one. Peirburg maf's are only fitted to CDI's

Thanks, especially BlackC55. I know very little about cars as some of you may have guessed so I'm really seeking any help I can get.

Whilst I don't really want to spend another £55 on the diags, I think it may be worthwhile in the long run, especially as a new MAF hasn't solved the problem, although I do find it strange that I see an improvement when no MAF is connected. This almost suggests to me that the new MAF may be faulty? I'm hoping the diags will confirm one way or another.

:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom