No more C63 V8 in future?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,
It seems that Mercedes might be dropping the V8 in the next C63 in favour of a similarly powered, downsized, hybrid powertrain!
Next AMG C63 to ditch V8 for hybrid four-pot | Autocar
This is certainly a vision of the future for previously big engined cars!
Cheers
Steve
I can’t remember the last time I removed the delivery packaging from my copy of Autocar when it landed on my doormat, but I did yesterday because of this featuring on the cover.. That’s progress I guess, but I will miss the V8 engine.

I can’t remember the last time I removed the delivery packaging from my copy of Autocar when it landed on my doormat, but I did yesterday because of this featuring on the cover.. That’s progress I guess, but I will miss the V8 engine.

Me too - sad times ahead!

disappointing that it is 4 cylinder and not even 6 but emissions regs will kill off the inline 6 cylinder in most models too except maybe the 600hp + applications perhaps .

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

seems like yet another repeat of the misguided fight against saturated fat in the late 50s and the 60s instead of refined carbs and seed oils which are the real culprits of our current health crisis.

Electric drivetrains are much better as driver cars, and that's now! With development they'll be amazingly fast and pleasant to drive. Unfortunately AMGs are sold on the sound, and I think I'd go over to BMW for a future BEV sports car choice.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Cooing 'don't frighten the kids' (but be sure to ignore them) with no reference or explanation as to melting glaciers - credible?

electric drive trains force a huge amount of extra weight. while the response is instant, the weight makes them far less drivers cars. I can fill up a petrol car in 3 or so minutes and do a 1k mile road trip in a day and a half like I am this weekend. cant do that in a superior electric car.
new AMGs are also luxurious , not all that heavy and handle like proper sports cars and have insane torque. I'll skip the better electric tech cars as long as possible!

electric drive trains force a huge amount of extra weight. while the response is instant, the weight makes them far less drivers cars. I can fill up a petrol car in 3 or so minutes and do a 1k mile road trip in a day and a half like I am this weekend. cant do that in a superior electric car.
new AMGs are also luxurious , not all that heavy and handle like proper sports cars and have insane torque. I'll skip the better electric tech cars as long as possible!
That's all true right now, but not in 5 years.

I don't think the argument here is that electric vehicles make great sport cars, just that due to legislation we'll see electric sport cars in future and we'll just have to make the most of it. And yes they do have an edge when it comes to acceleration...

I argue that they will make great sports cars in future. Battery tech is improving exponentially already, they'll be lighter in future and can be low down and moved backwards and forwards as required for perfect weight distribution depending on handling desires of the car, far more torque than is available in a petrol car and immediate nanosecond response from traction control provides perfect grip far quicker than any throttle body or braking TC system can react to wheel sensor data, 150kW chargers are already around with potential for charging at 1000 miles per hour (adding 100 miles of range in 6 minutes) even with todays battery technology - this is all in 5 years or so.
Essentially quicker, better handing, more adaptable to desired driving characteristics in any conditions. The only loss is the noise and emotion involved with cars like the AMG. I'm certainly not suggesting this is an insignificant loss though!

more to the point I was originally poorly making is 500 scientists getting together and writing about their reservations about the current climate change theories around CO2 being the main cause is completely ignored by the media is disappointing.

feel free to buy electric cars asap if they are so good. I for one will not. my mobile phone battery, after a hundred or so discharges and recharges loses a significant amount of capacity. Until they ban petrol/ diesel, I'll use it for the next decade.

again feel free to take your heavier and supposedly better handling car, I'll take my slower , lighter , worse handling car any day of the week. I will also always choose a rwd car over an AWD car. not because it is safer or faster, it is not . but it is the driving experience I seek. the RS4 , RS6 and w213 e63s all existed when I bought my slower , inferior c63, but it is the type of car I prefer and find exciting. the next c63 may be AWD which unless has a non track based RWD mode which includes traction control on , I will never buy one of those even if it had 12 cylinders ...

Again; that is true today. Come back in 5 years.

cant wait!

My 5 year plan is to acquire a 124 190E AMG and daily that ... at least I wont get anymore speeding tickets though I may annoy a lot of spirited drivers in their electric super cars ...

Among the happier memories of my life are to have been the driver of three petrol V8s.
1. A 1974 Chevy 350 cid Impala 4-door sedan .....
1974 Chevrolet Impala - Pictures - CarGurus
2. A 1981 MB W126 380SE
3. A 2002 MB W210 E430

All very different.
All magic !!

5 years lol, the toyta prius is nudging 15 years or more, things havent changed that much, battery technology hasnt truley change in a 100 years, only the materials used packing in a bit more power density, charge times are still horrendously long and slow. The degrading effect of repeated charging still remains and shows no signs of being solved. Only with careful design of the battery construction can this be reduced a little but lithium iron as an example, still has a very finite life before the build up on the electrodes prevents further charging. The same goes for other battery types.
Solid state battery's are safer but charge times still long and mass production is more than 5 years away. I thin its more likely to be another 15 to 20 years before any real break through occur, if at all.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom