No more commute = no more Mercedes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

silver1011

Car
2016 W212 E-Class Saloon SE
In February this year I was happily racking up the mileage on my 2016 E-Class, a 120 mile round trip five days a week, three hours a day in the car.

Then COVID-19 came along and whack, my annual mileage has gone from 25,000 miles to 0 miles overnight, and if I'm lucky enough to keep my job it'll be this way forever. My employer has already told me to plan to be working from home for at least the rest of this year, probably indefinitely.

Pro's and con's, I'm saving a good chunk of diesel fuel costs a month and I now have three hours of my day back Monday through Friday which means I get to spend more time with my wife and kids, the downside is that I like driving and quite enjoyed the commute, my Mercedes really excelled at comfy and sedate cruising.

Now a tough decision, what to do with the car. It literally sits on the drive doing nothing. I'm lucky enough to have access to a second vehicle, the wife's family bus (Skoda Kodiaq) so my car is surplus to requirements. It may as well go, seems a shame to have it sat there depreciating and collecting leaves.

So, it's up for sale and if anyone fancies a really clean W212 E-Class then it is being advertised on this forum in the For Sale section.

My exposure to Mercedes has been cut short unexpectedly, I do still need a car for the occasional business mileage and weekend work so will be looking to replace it, but what with is to be decided!? Having driven diesel saloons for most of my life I'm tempted to buy something I want rather than need :)

I wonder how many more people will find themselves in a similar situation? Keep smiling guys and girls!

Picture a.jpg

Picture x.jpg

Picture f1.jpg

Bad , and good , trade for a nice SL ? Perfect for weekends and high days , fuel economy less of a concern if just for recreational outings ? V8 ? You know you want one ! Man maths must come to the fore . You might find a dealer with a nice SL sitting , who would feel your car would be an easier sale and do you a good deal ?

Funny you should mention that, this popped up on eBay not so long ago, it's a 2005 SL350 with 83,000 miles up at £6,500 and 40 miles up the road!

Mercedes-Benz SL.PNG

I'd imagine if you're going to go to the effort then the SL500 is the only way to go!

I guess the issue is the potential bork factor, I need to read up on common R230 issues but I remember when I looked a few years ago I was quickly scared off.

Reactions: 219
Depending what you’re looking for - I had a R129 for seven years and 100,000 miles ; it was a great car and simpler than a R230 .

In February this year I was happily racking up the mileage on my 2016 E-Class, a 120 mile round trip five days a week, three hours a day in the car.

Then COVID-19 came along and whack, my annual mileage has gone from 25,000 miles to 0 miles overnight, and if I'm lucky enough to keep my job it'll be this way forever. My employer has already told me to plan to be working from home for at least the rest of this year, probably indefinitely.

Pro's and con's, I'm saving a good chunk of diesel fuel costs a month and I now have three hours of my day back Monday through Friday which means I get to spend more time with my wife and kids, the downside is that I like driving and quite enjoyed the commute, my Mercedes really excelled at comfy and sedate cruising.

Now a tough decision, what to do with the car. It literally sits on the drive doing nothing. I'm lucky enough to have access to a second vehicle, the wife's family bus (Skoda Kodiaq) so my car is surplus to requirements. It may as well go, seems a shame to have it sat there depreciating and collecting leaves.

So, it's up for sale and if anyone fancies a really clean W212 E-Class then it is being advertised on this forum in the For Sale section.

My exposure to Mercedes has been cut short unexpectedly, I do still need a car for the occasional business mileage and weekend work so will be looking to replace it, but what with is to be decided!? Having driven diesel saloons for most of my life I'm tempted to buy something I want rather than need :)

I wonder how many more people will find themselves in a similar situation? Keep smiling guys and girls!

View attachment 99886

View attachment 99887

View attachment 99888
Very clean.I remember you on the SkodA forum giving very informative and knowledgeable advice

Thanks Sweetooth, I'm still floating around on Briskoda, we've a Skoda in the family still. I decided to break from tradition and try something a bit different to the usual Skoda Superb :D

Reactions: 219
Car looks very nice...and pretty much a bargain for someone....Good luck with the sale...Be Lucky! Ed

What a fun position to be in - needing a second car for low-mileage use. How about an SLK55? Simpler than the SL but has a proper engine and lots of fun...

Only consideration is if OP is a family man : R129 is a 2+2 with back seats suitable for children , but bit of a squash for adults going any distance. Just need to put in 3 point belts , as I did , if they’re going to see regular use as cars come with lap belts in the back .

R230 and SLK are strictly 2 seaters

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom