No more i-drive a rock hard rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palfrem

MB Enthusiast
Car
W124 E36 AMG, G 300 GEL his, SLK 200 hers
After a disappointing MB experience with a half finished C220 and a rusting W210 320 cdi I bought an E39 530d. What a car! Loved it. Couldn't find one thing wrong with it.

Local BMW dealership managed to talk me into E60 530d. Hated it with a vengeance after E39

Swapped within a week or so for E90 330d . Initially OK but as time has gone by; the ride quality on RFTs - is bone jarring and i-drive is probably the most pointless and long winded control out.

So I have bought this.

Mercedes-Benz Direct :: Vehicle Details :: E320 CDI Avantgarde Sal Auto Avantgarde

The only thing I'd like to change are the wheels!

Can't wait for a comfy ride again though. Am I getting old or what?

I collect it on 1 Oct. I'll keep you posted.

Well done!
Getting old? No, just sensible!:)
What's not to like about the wheels? The 17" with 245 tyres are probably the best ride/grip compromise. If you are talking about the way they look....then only you will be able to know what you fancy:dk:

I keep reading about problems with the BMW run flats, as in hard ride; my tyre-supplier-fitter friend recommends replacing them on an E60/61 with regular tyres...

It does make me wonder if an E60/61* really is a better bet than a W211 :eek:

* which I have seriously been toying with as my next motor

Nice car. I agree with what Mactech says about the wheel size. Also agree with you about the wheels! Not the best I've seen to look at, but not the worst... might improve with some brake dust on 'em? :p

Robert

The E60 was dire in comparison to the E Class. The steering was strangely vague, it tramlined badly on nearside motorway lanes, jarring suspension over minor bumps. I also could never seem to get the seat right and ended up with backache after a hundred miles or so.

Can't sum it up, but I never really felt "at home" in it if you know what I mean.

I do a lot of miles (40K) so my my car is important to me and has to be "just right"

Fingers crossed!

Nice choice - love the pano roof on silver ...:thumb:

Picked up car

...just an update.

Collected the car from MB Direct in Balsall Common yesterday.

Very pleased with it.

After the 330D it's a revelation, smooth, comfy, solid and just plain nice.
It's got a rich sounding stereo and the roof is a work of art - I love it.

Very happy indeed to be back behind a three pointed star.

My only very minor gripe, is the drivers door mirror squeaks when it folds back, but I'm sure a drop of oil will solve that.

I'll try and post a few pictures.

Cheers

So I have bought this.

Mercedes-Benz Direct :: Vehicle Details :: E320 CDI Avantgarde Sal Auto Avantgarde

The only thing I'd like to change are the wheels!

Can't wait for a comfy ride again though. Am I getting old or what?

I collect it on 1 Oct. I'll keep you posted.
Well don't get bigger wheels or you'll spoil the ride. The ride is best on 16 inch wheels and OK on 17 inch. Above that it is ruined IMO and not of MB quality. You also lose steering feel, Aquaplane more easily and use more fuel. And all to look like a 19 year old in a Nova.

My only very minor gripe, is the drivers door mirror squeaks when it folds back, but I'm sure a drop of oil will solve that.
It's just the cable sheath squeeking against the plastic. A smear of silicone grease or vaseline will fix it permentantly.

It's just the cable sheath squeeking against the plastic. A smear of silicone grease or vaseline will fix it permentantly.

Silicone grease or Vaseline will attract the dirt, I would suggest a PTFE spray, dries to a powder. Very slippy :) Used on mountain bike chains..

I use this on my mirrors where the case can squeak against the rubber sealing lip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom