no more uk built fords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's the head of Fiat IIRC that has said that there is massive overcapacity in Europe and that all the manufacturers will have to close plants, and that the only reason it hasn't happened yet is that no one wants to be the first.

It's the head of Fiat IIRC that has said that there is massive overcapacity in Europe and that all the manufacturers will have to close plants, and that the only reason it hasn't happened yet is that no one wants to be the first.

Here's the situation:

* Vehicle sales in Europe down 3.3 million in the past 5 years. Growth in places like Poland and Russia, decrease at >10% in Belgium, Italy and France, but relatively flat in UK, Germany and Spain (decrease <2%).

* 3 plants closed in this time period.

* 8 plants opened - mainly in lower labour costs areas in Eastern Europe.

* Industry utilisation of plant capacity is currently about 75%, and I reckon that about 50% of plants are running at a loss at the moment.

Unfortunately it's far easier (and cheaper) to "restructure" in the UK, although Ford are closing Genk in 2014 and transferring production to Valencia.

What else are they going to do? Honda & co manage their plants ruthlessly with high levels of efficiency and little union interference - they also act as a nice workround to EU manufacturing rules. Premium brands are suffering from overcapacity issues but not to the same degree as Ford & GM.

If anyone has any bright ideas I'd be really interested :D

Someone should start manufacturing cars that:-

1. Are simple= minimum electronics

2. light= economical [ see 1]

3. modular= simple to repair [ see 1]

4.multifuel

5. don't rust [ quickly]

6. at a price that truly reflects their manufacturing costs

7. Then market it with a degree of conviction and novelty- maybe sell em direct from the factory on the internet like any other mass produced item

A car designed for the "third world " levels of income which many citizens of Europe are being forced to adopt.
Make a decent stab at it [ Less Tata Nano More Skoda Citigo ]- and they will queuing up for em. :dk:

Grober: Doesn't Dacia fulfill your brief? It's the closest match I can think of.

Perhaps if the UK market said, you don't want to build them here then we don't want to buy them here, we may have an indigenous manufacturing base!

All this overcapacity floating about and all i seem to read on this forum is people whinging about how long it takes to build a C63...

Speaking of Dacia, my neighbour told me last week that he has ordered a brand new one of these for just a tad over £10k
DaciaDuster4.jpg

I'll reserve judgement until it arrives.

Last edited:
My van is better than a Vivaro. That's why I've kept it for 5 years.

No rust on the Vito yet. If there was a Vivaro with a smooth 6-cyl engine, auto gearbox, and > 200 bhp then I would certainly consider one. I've owned plenty of Vauxhall cars and they were all fine (the last one was almost a Vauxhall van :D)

Sintra.jpg

All this overcapacity floating about and all i seem to read on this forum is people whinging about how long it takes to build a C63...

I'll reserve judgement until it arrives.

Not all manufacturers have massive overcapacity, and some OEMs are very good at managing the demand and flow through their plants.

The problem existing mainly with the big mass manufacturers - multiple plants producing the same model, for example, and less sophisticated lines that don't allow the flexibility to cover a wide range of varients.

I'll be interested in how cars like the Dacia pan out. I'm quite tempted to go and have a look one when Mrs E looks to replace the Punto next year. The problem in the markets with such cars is prejudice. When cars like the Duster are launched in some parts of the world, they are at the top of the tree - and although cheap in our eyes are still a considerable outlay for the average Joe in such markets. Here, they come in at the bottom of the tree and, as vehicles are viewed by probably the majority as status symbols to some degree, fall short of "ideal" ownership. Inclusion of technology is also driven by the market - we demand bells and whistles and they cost money.

I'm working on a long-term research programme at the moment which is looking at some more radical changes in the motoring world - changes in vehicle manufacture, usage, buying/charging/usage models, more customisation, production-on-demand, flexible inclusion of technology, standardised telematic/device interfaces, powerplant/drivetrain innovations, etc. Very much blue sky stuff (which is good fun) and interesting to hear what OEMS and other are thinking about over the next 20-30 years,

Mr E said:
Not all manufacturers have massive overcapacity, and some OEMs are very good at managing the demand and flow through their plants.

The problem existing mainly with the big mass manufacturers - multiple plants producing the same model, for example, and less sophisticated lines that don't allow the flexibility to cover a wide range of varients.

I'll be interested in how cars like the Dacia pan out. I'm quite tempted to go and have a look one when Mrs E looks to replace the Punto next year. The problem in the markets with such cars is prejudice. When cars like the Duster are launched in some parts of the world, they are at the top of the tree - and although cheap in our eyes are still a considerable outlay for the average Joe in such markets. Here, they come in at the bottom of the tree and, as vehicles are viewed by probably the majority as status symbols to some degree, fall short of "ideal" ownership. Inclusion of technology is also driven by the market - we demand bells and whistles and they cost money.

I'm working on a long-term research programme at the moment which is looking at some more radical changes in the motoring world - changes in vehicle manufacture, usage, buying/charging/usage models, more customisation, production-on-demand, flexible inclusion of technology, standardised telematic/device interfaces, powerplant/drivetrain innovations, etc. Very much blue sky stuff (which is good fun) and interesting to hear what OEMS and other are thinking about over the next 20-30 years,

What is blue sky stuff?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom