no mot, out by 3 days fixed penalty help!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Since the law hasn't changed (has it?) I believe you can drive for a year and a day without possessing a licence so long as you are not disqualified or otherwise prohibited from obtaining one.

I would have thought that the days of the "producer" in it's present form are numbered and that both the driver and the car will hold a simple smart card with all the necessary onfo encoded.

No, valid driving licence is required, but that might be a foreign one, provisional or indeed military excemption. And I am aware of "foreign military provisional" !

I doubt the producers days are numbered. It serves a use in other areas of enforcement, but you are unlikely to be aware (or cynical of them) unless you have a string of convictions.

:eek:

I got a producer as "routine" following me parking my car in a brick wall in snow and ice (fortunately nobody else involved).

The police who attended were very nice and helpful, even ran me home after the recovery truck had collected my car. They said they had already checked my licence and insurance but couldn't check the MOT. This was all done by radio to the police station as it wasn't a traffic car. It would seem therefore that access to the MOT system is still not as easy as DVLA and insurance details.

Davross23, you are new to driving so I can understand your frustration but if you are going to drive a car like that then you need to make sure you are completely legal (as should we all of course) as you know you are going to get a lot of attention. You will also find that as time goes on you will almost be grateful for "just" getting a fine that doesn't attract penalty points!

Sorry, should have made it clearer.

Yes you do need to have a pre-booked appointment with an MOT Station.

If, for example, I bought a car without MOT but made an appointment with an approved garage near my home for later that day, on my journey to the garage, directly from the place of purchase I would technically be commmitting the offence of Using a car on a road without a valid certificate being in force but have the valid defence of a pre-booked appointment (so would be found not guilty at Magistrates if it ever got to that stage).

However, if I arrived at the garage too late and they were closed, my journey from there home would be illegal and I would have no defence.

I then book another appointment for the following day, my journey from home to garage (by direct route) is still "Using without valid MOT", but again I have a legal defence.

:)

"I" have not done the above, disclaimers, small print etc.

You still cant drive long distances without an mot if you buy the car in Brighton and book the mot in Manchester you may still be committing an offence although you would have a defence i doubt any beak would accept it

You still cant drive long distances without an mot if you buy the car in Brighton and book the mot in Manchester you may still be committing an offence although you would have a defence i doubt any beak would accept it

It does say in the regs that the testing station must be within a reasonable distance.

No, valid driving licence is required, but that might be a foreign one, provisional or indeed military excemption. And I am aware of "foreign military provisional" !

I doubt the producers days are numbered. It serves a use in other areas of enforcement, but you are unlikely to be aware (or cynical of them) unless you have a string of convictions.

:eek:

Please read the statement . You may drive without possessing a driving license so long as you have not been disqualified or are otherwise prevented from holding one for a period of one year and one day.

Not having passed a test would be "prevented from holding one" -

This is not about passing the test or being banned, it is about physical possession of a bit of paper/plastic (that's why I asked if the law had changed)

Oh, and I know exactly what a producer is for, first to make life just a little difficult, second , to make it easier to get a conviction for perverting the course of justice - the police just hate to have documents presented in court

Sigh

Thanks guys, cheque in an envelope it is! My final response is that i'm not letting of steam i simply was asking a way around not pay £60. The best comment was how long i would have continued with an expired MOT and the answer is till may when my road tax expired so yes, lesson learned methinks.

Please read the statement . You may drive without possessing a driving license so long as you have not been disqualified or are otherwise prevented from holding one for a period of one year and one day.

can you clarify that as it beats me!

can you clarify that as it beats me!

OK, pencil and paper.

You passed the test. You are a good boy, you haven't been disqual. A typhoon blows the roof off of your house and you lose your DL - physically rather than legally lose your licence. You have a year and a day to replace it (unless the law changed very recently). You may still drive.

OK, pencil and paper.

You passed the test. You are a good boy, you haven't been disqual. A typhoon blows the roof off of your house and you lose your DL - physically rather than legally lose your licence. You have a year and a day to replace it (unless the law changed very recently). You may still drive.

My word.

Thanks guys, cheque in an envelope it is! My final response is that i'm not letting of steam i simply was asking a way around not pay £60. The best comment was how long i would have continued with an expired MOT and the answer is till may when my road tax expired so yes, lesson learned methinks.

Your best bet when you bounded into the police station was to unbound a bit, and when you saw the ticket was out, to have gone and got a new one and presented that to plod - chances are you may have stood a chance at getting away with it - especially if the car was straight when stopped.

But only if the roof of the house was blown off by a typhoon.

Plod can tell in two seconds if you are disqual or don't otherwise have a licence - not being able to produce it is nothing unless compounded with something more naughty, plod knew you had a year to get a new one, so rarely pushed it unless you had the body of your dead wife in the boot.

Not having passed a test would be "prevented from holding one" -

This is not about passing the test or being banned, it is about physical possession of a bit of paper/plastic (that's why I asked if the law had changed)

Oh, and I know exactly what a producer is for, first to make life just a little difficult, second , to make it easier to get a conviction for perverting the course of justice - the police just hate to have documents presented in court
20-4006559.jpg

Hi Dav,
I hope my 'letting off steam' remark did not offend? I meant it in a polite and respectful manner.

I'm positive there was NO way you deliberately flouted the law and I guessed you were annoyed with yourself for this indiscretion? Hence my remark about how it could have been me, or perhaps anyone else.

I try to have the tax, and MOT all fall on the same date, that way I get a reminder. Others feel this might be too exensive! Each to their own and whatever works must be acceptable.

Regards
John

no offense taken, just some people make assumptions when you describe your issue, i genuinely never did anything wrong and fealt that even though i have the type of car that most people would stereotype the owner. i do not drive like that stereotype, i just like the car, so when treated like that by the police, who i'd always said had every right pulling young idiots over, i fealt more unjustice than anything else when treated the same as them. again thanks for your help guys.

no offense taken, just some people make assumptions when you describe your issue, i genuinely never did anything wrong and fealt that even though i have the type of car that most people would stereotype the owner. i do not drive like that stereotype, i just like the car, so when treated like that by the police, who i'd always said had every right pulling young idiots over, i fealt more unjustice than anything else when treated the same as them. again thanks for your help guys.

Good people on here dave so do not worry.
We all have had experiences good and bad with the plodd.
Mine has been particularly bad but life goes on.

Last edited:
I had an opinion from the garage that did my motorbikes MOT. My bike failed for rear brake pads (not enough pad remaining) and intermitent horn. the mechanic told me that I should be careful driving away as my last MOT was out of date (by about two weeks) and my insurance wouldn't pay out in the event of an accident.

I rode home (very carefully) and booked into another garage for the repairs tok it there the next day, then after three hours back for its MOT retake which it then duly passed.

Didn't feel like getting the magnifying glass out to trawl through my insurance terms and conditions. Asking you lot doesn't hurt my eyes...if i'd scraped a ferrari on the way back from the failed MOT would my insurance have paid out or would i have been in for the repairs out of my own pocket? was i even uninsured for the fortnight since my 2007 MOT expired?

I had an opinion from the garage that did my motorbikes MOT. My bike failed for rear brake pads (not enough pad remaining) and intermitent horn. the mechanic told me that I should be careful driving away as my last MOT was out of date (by about two weeks) and my insurance wouldn't pay out in the event of an accident.

I rode home (very carefully) and booked into another garage for the repairs tok it there the next day, then after three hours back for its MOT retake which it then duly passed.

Didn't feel like getting the magnifying glass out to trawl through my insurance terms and conditions. Asking you lot doesn't hurt my eyes...if i'd scraped a ferrari on the way back from the failed MOT would my insurance have paid out or would i have been in for the repairs out of my own pocket? was i even uninsured for the fortnight since my 2007 MOT expired?
Maybe it would affect the payout that you recieved but the third part would get paid out

If you genuinely did nothing wrong then do not pay the fine, BUT..... If you drove your vehicle on the public highway without a valid MOT, then I would respectfully suggest you did do something very wrong!

Yes it was only a little out of date, but that in a way was academic. Your car was not booked in for an MOT and you had no intention of getting it done? I only say this because you appear to have forgotten all about it?

When we take on the responsibility of driving a motor vehicle we must surely accept all the other responsibilities which include having a car that is fully street legal. I feel for you and life can be a swine, but thankfully no one was injured, and no harm has been done. A lesson has hopefully be learnt and this situation may never arise again.

John

Hi Dav,
I hope my 'letting off steam' remark did not offend? I meant it in a polite and respectful manner.

I'm positive there was NO way you deliberately flouted the law and I guessed you were annoyed with yourself for this indiscretion? Hence my remark about how it could have been me, or perhaps anyone else.

I try to have the tax, and MOT all fall on the same date, that way I get a reminder. Others feel this might be too exensive! Each to their own and whatever works must be acceptable.

Regards
John

I always like to have the mot run out before the tax, that way if it fails its mot at least it's taxed for the journey to and from the mot station/garage.

I always like to have the mot run out before the tax, that way if it fails its mot at least it's taxed for the journey to and from the mot station/garage.

I must change mine, the tax ran out in April and the MOT on the 1st May, so I get the reminder on the 15th April.
this year the MAF went down on the 18th, unplugged it car runs fine and booked for MOT on the 29th, that passed for the 9th the time all clear and even the emissions were ok with out the MAF. the Disc took 3 days online.

Next year I will bring the MOT forward, it to nerve racking for comfort the way it is

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom