no mot, out by 3 days fixed penalty help!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And I did read your post again, and again, and like I said I felt that your attitude was unnecessarily superior and judgemental.).
That is your right and I have no issue with that but you have twisted, altered and added words that I never said, never hinted at, never implied, nor suggested.

If a car was to be involved in a terrible accident and the insurance expired three days prior to the incident, would we blame the insurance company for not paying out for any injuries to the guilty party?

If this same car had full insurance but no MOT (it expired three days prior to the incident and the insurance company stipulated the car must be FULLY road legal) Then would they be right to refuse any claim by the guilty driver?

I am not suggesting the author was involved in ANY type of incident.

John

That is your right and I have no issue with that but you have twisted, altered and added words that I never said, never hinted at, never implied, nor suggested.

I can't believe there have been 81 posts about someone in a Saxo who forgot to get his car moted...

If a car was to be involved in a terrible accident and the insurance expired three days prior to the incident, would we blame the insurance company for not paying out for any injuries to the guilty party?

If this same car had full insurance but no MOT (it expired three days prior to the incident and the insurance company stipulated the car must be FULLY road legal) Then would they be right to refuse any claim by the guilty driver?

I am not suggesting the author was involved in ANY type of incident.

John

Lets make it 84:D

We get reminders by post about insurance and we therefore have little excuse for failing to insure our car. MOT we don't get the same reminders.

You are going on yet again about the insurance company voiding the insurance - we can trawl through hundreds of pages about this where we see that it is extremely unlikely that this would happen. It is highly likely however that they won't pay out on own risks if the car wasn't roadworthy - they will still pay out on third party risks, even in fact if the policy is voided from inception due to for example non-disclosure.

The primary requirement is to keep the car roadworth, even having an MOT doesn't prove the car is roadworthy as it say quite clearly on the certificate.

Like I said if it was someone with a tweed suit and a new CLS 3 days late he wouldn't have been told he was "very wrong".

There was no need to be so judgemental.

Not read the whole thread but did see the beginning the other day....I went to pay my car tax online the other day and discovered I had no MoT...I was over a month late:eek: . I did feel bad about it and would have taken the wrap if I was caught..I was in the wrong after all.

As it was car sail through and I live to breath again. It good now because the Mot and the road tax now coincide so I suspect I will not forget again.

getting clobbered for 3 days is a bit steep(in my opinion). That said, how are the police to know it was ever going to get done? we have the rules, we may not like them but thats it. If we dont like them we have to influence politicans but can you see anyone getting that upset to want to change the rules?

my 2p; just glad I got away with it:eek:

If you are Billy burglar, you get 3 strikes and then your out. If you are forgetful fred, then 3 days means a nice big fine, not after you have forgotten once, twice or three times but straight away.

Not read the whole thread but did see the beginning the other day....I went to pay my car tax online the other day and discovered I had no MoT...I was over a month late:eek: . I did feel bad about it and would have taken the wrap if I was caught..I was in the wrong after all.

As it was car sail through and I live to breath again. It good now because the Mot and the road tax now coincide so I suspect I will not forget again.

getting clobbered for 3 days is a bit steep(in my opinion). That said, how are the police to know it was ever going to get done? we have the rules, we may not like them but thats it. If we dont like them we have to influence politicans but can you see anyone getting that upset to want to change the rules?

my 2p; just glad I got away with it:eek:

Well, it's all computerized now - wouldn't you think that it would be easy to let people know about MOT due date? After all, we want to prevent crime, not punish it.

If you are Billy burglar, you get 3 strikes and then your out. If you are forgetful fred, then 3 days means a nice big fine, not after you have forgotten once, twice or three times but straight away.

You can see why people get the hump and get a very negative attitude towards the system.

Yeh Yeh Yeh, I know it is an absolute offence and the guy was very wrong, but honestly ... what happened to a bit of common sense?

So what should the limit be then for non compliance. Three days, three weeks, three months..??

It's a definative deadline to ensure the car is roadworthy at all times. Don't forget a new MOT can be procured upto a month in advance.

but honestly ... what happened to a bit of common sense?

I ask myself that quite often.:rolleyes:

Since when does having an MOT prove that the vehicle is roadworthy? Only at the time of test.

Our man wasn't nicked for having a vehicle in a dangerous condition, and if we had the old style system then the offense would have been failing to produce rather than not having a valid MOT in place.

We wonder why Joe Public stands back and watches plod get a good hiding rather than get involved and assisting - is it any wonder?

Our OP is now aware of the law, and will no doubt quickly forget the £60, but he won't forget being nicked -

I ask myself that quite often.:rolleyes:

So, what would you have done? would have have told him to take his docs away, get the car MOT'ed , and come back with a valid one, suggesting that he needed to wake up a bit regarding motor documentation, or would you have just nicked him?

Let's assume this guy had a reasonable attitude.

Now lets play the same game with Lord and Lady Fourmile in their CLS500 who have forgotten about the first MOT by three days?

Just interested to know.

Was this the first MOT.?

A Policemans job is to report fact to the CPS who then make a decision. Other than roadside fixed penalty notices a Policeman isn't Judge and Jury.

I doubt it can be ignored once the 'producer' is written.

So, what would you have done? would have have told him to take his docs away, get the car MOT'ed , and come back with a valid one, suggesting that he needed to wake up a bit regarding motor documentation, or would you have just nicked him?

Now lets play the same game with Lord and Lady Fourmile in their CLS500 who have forgotten about the first MOT by three days?

Just interested to know.

First off - I would have checked all the documentation when I bought the car to ensure what I had paid for was what I got.

I've never been caught having an expired MOT, but it has happened and let's say that was the scenario here, the OP like many of us had simply lost track of the date. I'd have arranged to get it done immediately and not driven the car until it was done. This is what I had to do in the past when I did forget.

If I'd been caught - I would prob be grateful for the reminder, a £60 fine and that that was all that had happened - ie no accident's or anything of the like. And no points ;)

No an MOT does not mean the car is roadworthy - and yes maybe a database should now be available to remind us - but how is it going to be paid for?

I believe the PNC shows every vehicle's MOT expiry date these days, as the computerised MOTs have rolled out and handwritten ones are no longer issued - but I could be wrong. I'm not sure if all MOTs are now computerised yet.

Was this the first MOT.?

A Policemans job is to report fact to the CPS who then make a decision. Other than roadside fixed penalty notices a Policeman isn't Judge and Jury.

I doubt it can be ignored once the 'producer' is written.

Can't have been the first mot, as the OP says the mot had expired by 3 days.

Just interested to know.

Just as an interesting issue almost on the same thing.

I drove my SL for almost one year without telling the insurance company that the number had changed.

I only found out when I tried to tax the car online where it said no valid insurance

Last edited:
Is that a wise statement to put on a public forum Malcolm?

I didn't quote you, incase you decide to edit your comments in the 3rd sentence;)

Is that someone knocking at your door Tv....

Can't have been the first mot, as the OP says the mot had expired by 3 days.

Thanks, that's what I thought but wondered if I was mistaken. My query was in reply to:

Apples and pears....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom