No one expects an old Mercedes!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Richard1973

Car
S210 320cdi Avantgarde
Traveling home tonight on the A50 and I get a guy in a newish 3 series trying to push me along. He did seem a little shocked when my old 320cdi pulled away and left him vanishing in my mirror! Childish I know, but no one expects an 02 Mercedes diesel to go as well as it does! For 205,000 miles it surprises me too! Must be one of Mercedes finest engines!

Sent from my SM-T365 using Tapatalk

I must admit. My E320 steams along nicely and is even surprisingly quick off the line as well
As you say, childish yes but quite a laugh when you’re in an old, easy to underestimate old barge! Haha

I had the same when we had an old Volvo Estate. Little boyracers in their little boxes didnt know what they were playing with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Traveling home tonight on the A50 and I get a guy in a newish 3 series trying to push me along. He did seem a little shocked when my old 320cdi pulled away and left him vanishing in my mirror! Childish I know, but no one expects an 02 Mercedes diesel to go as well as it does! For 205,000 miles it surprises me too! Must be one of Mercedes finest engines!

You should have slowed down, don’t give into bullies ;)

My 320 CDi goes pretty well too and with an AMG backbox and two silencers removed, it likes to cover the tailgaters in soot too.
I've also got the 210 E55 and thats even more fun when you get the proper boy racer cars i.e. GTi's, Corsa VXR's etc - leaves them for dead!

You should try it a 1989 W124 diesel with an M3, its feckin hilarious lmao

I once ran a remapped CLK280 CDi (I think) in my 8L S3. This was when the S3 was the shht, I mean 225hp...what?! :D. That thing (clk) seriously pulled.

I recall an episode back in the early 80’s when I had my W114 280E , one of the very last ones with the 5 speed manual box .

Pootling along the M9 , I saw one of the then brand new Capri 2.8 injection models come up the on ramp ahead of me . I just followed for a bit .

When he picked up speed , I just kept up with him , after a bit we were both somewhat north of the speed limit , and judging by his lack of further acceleration, and the puffs of smoke coming out of his exhaust , I reckoned he was maxed out ...

It had to be done - I slowly drew alongside , glanced over and gave a big grin , then accelerated away , before changing up into 5th .... all this in a somewhat staid looking saloon , past its first flush of youth .

Another amusing incident in that car was , stopped at traffic lights on Queensferry Road , another car drew up , Cortina IIRC , revving up as if for a race . When the lights changed I gave it some welly and my front end rose up , leaving him behind effortlessly ... did I mention I had a Thomson Glenragle caravan hitched on the back at the time ...

One time , though , I was left for dead .

Proceeding up the M90 towards Perth , at a somewhat naughty speed , I saw something come up the on ramp ahead . I moved into the outside lane to give him room ... the driver saw me , changed down , and with a puff of smoke from his exhausts , his Ferrari BB512 shot off like the starship enterprise going to warp .

Last edited:
I recall an episode back in the early 80’s when I had my W114 280E , one of the very last ones with the 5 speed manual box .

Quite possibly my dream car

Reactions: 219

Your car's performance is well known...your eyesight is what amazes me...seeing a driver's expression in your rvm as you leave him for dust!!!

2 ways to catch a cat . Coming home one night, i had this cooper up my back side . He was not the best of drivers to have on your tail . He would drive up to the rear of my car very fast, just to try and shove me along faster .
Then i had to stop on a set of stop lights .Looking on the floor just before the lights i saw this spillage of concret .The stones were just sitting on the top. Well i had to stop ,the lights were on red .I never planed this, but my car wheel was on the cement . Lights changed ,i pulled away . Then i heard this noise .I looking in my mirror, i could then see what had happened The cooper had this ratatatat just as i put my foot down to move off .The rear wheels of my car had gone in to a spin .Then these stones came raining down on to his bonnet. He never did follow me after .Saw him scratching his head looking at the damage .

Proceeding up the M90 towards Perth , at a somewhat naughty speed , I saw something come up the on ramp ahead . I moved into the outside lane to give him room ... the driver saw me , changed down , and with a puff of smoke from his exhausts , his Ferrari BB512 shot off like the starship enterprise going to warp .
Reminds me of a couple of incidents. The first was back in the mid 60s when early one morning I was riding my Triumph Bonneville up the M1 at a comfortable 125mph. This was before the NSL came in. Around about Watford Gap a car came past me so fast that I nearly stepped off my bike to see what what wrong. The car turned out to be an AC Cobra on a test run at over 180mph.

A few years later I stopped at traffic lights in Ealing in my 1955 Vauxhall Velox. One of the six plugs was oiling up so I had to keep blipping the throttle to stop the engine stalling. A black Ford Transit pulled up next to me and I glanced over to see the driver grinning down at me. I was of course going to show this van driver that the 60hp 6-pot engine under my bonnet would teach him that I wasn’t just a boy racer blipping my throttle for effect. The lights changed to green and I planted my foot hard to the floor. I very nearly beat him to the white line. As he shot past I just had time to see the John Player Lotus logo on the back before it disappeared into the distance. I later discovered that it was an F1 team car fitted with a Cosworth V8.

Tales of the past .
Driving out one evening with my girlfriend now wife .
Nice flat road this was with the second car my father purchased for me a Vauxhall Wyvern .On this road i came up to this large black saloon . And those days it was get there before you start out [fast] .I over took this black saloon .From then on it was cat and mouse .Like , overtake the black saloon 3 or 4 times .Then i look out of my drivers window just as the car came up the side of my car .I could see this saloon was no normal pushover . The emblem on the front was a sphinx ,.Yes this modest saloon was an Armstrong Sidley . He came level with me ,we were both on 80 mph by now. I looked again to see the driver was in this Mayors car . It was then i saw the crest on the door.He just looked at me. But i saw him push this item on the column ,overdrive .That was the end of it he was gone. Next day my first sart up the engine was caput .Main bearings had gone knock knock .

20/20 hindsight is often somewhat rose-tinted too... Or is that cattle I smell?

I had a Rover 825 Sterling 24V V6. Drank fuel. Absolutely nailed nearly everything at kickdown. Hilarity, until a head gasket went.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom