No Pistons?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
ROTFL

Been around for Donkeys years, desingned by a man named ****el!

Great idea, effectively trebling the number of firing strokes per cylinder. Used by Norton without much success for years on their motorcycles and of course still used by mazda.

The engines main failing point are the rotor tips which tend to wear out rather fast.

rotary-engine-intro.jpg

wow, nees to me.... but then saying that, i had heard of 'rotary engines' just guess i didnt know what one was!

The ****el engine was first used in the NSU RO80, remember those?. What a car, what an engine, but about 10,000 miles to the engine soon put paid to that.

NSU are now part of Audi.

Mazda have made the rotary work.

>> The engines main failing point are the rotor tips which tend to wear out rather fast.

According to Mazda they have redesigned the engine and no longer have the problem with the tips.

Gav.

I have always been surprised that England never really did the whole rotary thing. Growing up in Australia it was the cheapest and easiest way to get yourself a 12 or 13 second quarter mile car.

WIth a bit (lot) of cash, you can tune these babies down to sub 10 second quarter miles on street tyres.

Engines favoured were the 12A, 13B and they even did a 20B triple rotor, twin turbo. Ahh the memories.

First there was the R100.
r-100-2_small.jpg

Then the RX2
rx-2-2_small.jpg

Then the RX3
rx-3-2_small.jpg

Then the RX4
rx-4-1_small.jpg

Then the RX5
rx5_2tn.jpg

Then the RX7's which you will all know.

I suppose the other engine a lot of people don't know about is the Miller Cycle engine:

http://www.mazda.com.au/articleZone.asp?articleZoneID=92

erm i once had an rx7, how could i have missed that it had a rotary engine! As with any car, i sold it soon after the novelty wore off....

As well as Trevor Nation doing his thing on the Norton Rotary Suzuki had a ****el engined bike in the `70s too.

Originally posted by jaymanek
erm i once had an rx7, how could i have missed that it had a rotary engine! As with any car, i sold it soon after the novelty wore off....

I drove an RX7 in the early / mid 80's and seem to remember it having an audible warning buzzer once high revs were achieved. Apparently destructive RPM’s were a real possibility. Anyone remember that?

Apparently destructive RPM’s were a real possibility. Anyone remember that?

Sure do.

rev, rev, rev, plant foot, spin, screaming noise, more screaming noise, DING, change gears, plant foot, spin, screaming noise, more noise.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom