No pre-wiring AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mozzer

Car
Disco and E250 Cab
OK, last night I managed to get my hands on a MB CD changer (MC3110) for £140, and have just managed to get another one (MC3010) just in case for £120 - both with return deals if necessary.

Next I am going to buy the APS30 4716 for €470 today (sorry Shude).

I have just looked in the boot of my '00 230K SLK and there are no bloody wires :eek: :eek: :eek:

So my question to you guys is, what wiring do I need to order from the stealerships to connect these two pieces of equipment (part nos if possible) and any advice on where to feed the wires would be appreciated ?

Cheers

Stuart

It gets worse...

...I have just been on the phone to an MB engineer because I wanted to order optic fibre cables.

I told him :

1 - I have bought a head unit that is compatible with 1999 onwards SLKs - it is a Becker APS30 unit and I have been told that it should just plug straight into the existing wiring, etc and away we go.

2 - I have bought a CD changer that is compatible with 1999 onwards SLKs.

3 - I assumed that if the Becker APS30 plugs into the same wiring as the Audio10 and is compatible and the CDC is compatible with the Audio10, then the CDC and the APS30 boht being Beckr / MB would be compatible with each other.

He did the engineering equivalent of a builder scratching his chin and saying "gonna need some time on this one" and told me that I should not have assumed they would be compatible, even though they are both compatible with a common head unit.

Is he right, have I as usual tried ot over simplify the world or is he just trying to get a buck out of me ?

One thing he did say that worried me a bit was that I would need a speed pulse wire regardless, is that right and if so, where do I get one of those from ?

Cheers

Stuart

Mozzer said:
...I have just been on the phone to an MB engineer because I wanted to order optic fibre cables.

He did the engineering equivalent of a builder scratching his chin and saying "gonna need some time on this one" and told me that I should not have assumed they would be compatible, even though they are both compatible with a common head unit.

Is he right, have I as usual tried ot over simplify the world or is he just trying to get a buck out of me ?

One thing he did say that worried me a bit was that I would need a speed pulse wire regardless, is that right and if so, where do I get one of those from ?

Cheers

Stuart

You deal with the speed pulse by looking at connector A and seeing if Pin 1 has a wire in it. Beyond that I would have guessed that CANBUS delivers data also .... if the unit can take that data.

If your mechanic was so stumped by a CD changer install then do a search for "SLK CD" and you will find a post showing the wire path. If it doesnt exist then I will post a new one. Im not sure I would let him touch my car to be truthful. EPC and WIS have been around for a long time.

You better jump on eBay and buy the CD changer install bracket. They are VERY expensive because they have SLK branded on them.

The fibre optic and CD changer setup are just 2 cables you throw into the cable trays inside the hollows of your car.

Now then!

The only items of interest on this diagram are these:

270: A1705451340 : SUPPORTING PLATE : EUR 65.08 (bracket)
280: A1705451440 : SUPPORTING PLATE : EUR 65.08 (bracket)
300: A2038209089 : COMPACT DISC CHANGER : EUR 390.69
310: N000000002202 : SCREW : EUR .38 (x3)
320: N000000001955 : SCREW : EUR .19 (x4)

I do not know why there are two brackets of the same price, unless both items are required or one is subtely different to the other. What's needed is some information from a member owning an SLK with factory changer (VIN required) so we can filter out the wrong parts. More info to follow.

Attachments

• 170diagram315.jpg
    170diagram315.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 317
The d2b cable section is nasty, I don't understand much of it, I don't even know what the connectors are supposed to look like at either end!

It is possible however that the cable you require is in fact the ones factory installed in my car, code 819 with optical d2b connectors etc, either end should be the same. I could look up the part numbers for that I suppose.

If we wanted to be sure we could try the items out in my car, that'd be a definite way of doing it :)

Shude

The only part I have in my possession at the moment is 300: A2038209089 : COMPACT DISC CHANGER : EUR 390.69, but at least I got that right.

If I buy the APS30 version 4716 now, could I then send you close up pics of the connections of each. That way at least we will know if we are somewhere near - especially if both ends look the same. Then I may be taking you up on the trip to Manchester, where's nice nearby I can take the missus for the night - at least that way I won't get nagged :)

Cheers

S

Mozzer said:
If I buy the APS30 version 4716 now, could I then send you close up pics of the connections of each. That way at least we will know if we are somewhere near - especially if both ends look the same. Then I may be taking you up on the trip to Manchester, where's nice nearby I can take the missus for the night - at least that way I won't get nagged :)
I forgot you're in Bucks, long trip up north to Manchester! Surely someone has a car with factory APS30 so we can run the VIN through the catalogue? I mean, I can guess at the part numbers all day but they're not cheap bits and if they're wrong you're stuck with them or they end up on ebay!

Mozzer said:
I have got the right changer tho yes ? :eek:
If it's the one from the diagram then you will have an original SLK part which would mate up with the rest of the bits if they were also specified for an SLK :)

headunit/changer/wiring is mostly independent of vehicle up to the very latest models (excluding some obscure bose options), and the SLK is a dinosaur parts-wise because it's not been facelifted under the skin and is basically a 1995 w202 c-class underneath. Pretty simple to swap stuff around on.

Shout out to Shude

Shude your pm box is full (and not by me for once :))

OK I have the HU and the CDC in my possession now and have attached a picture of said units, serial numbers and ports.

Please can you have a look and see if you recognise any of this and are able to tell me what connections / cables I need to buy to get these two linked together or whether you need further pics or info ?

Cheers

S

Hi Guys,

I have installed this APS unit into my SL and I had a factory installed CD changer, I can give you my VIN number if it will help in anyway.

Regards

Tan

Fitted it last night, radio and CD work ok as does the navigation disk, but I need to fit the GPS antenna today.

I still need to know whether I need to do something about canbus and as I don't really understand what it is, I don't know what I need to do, anyone ?

Also, do I need to fit a wire from the unit to the speed pulse and if so, what wire do I need and where do I fit it ?

Finally, I need all cabling from HU to CDC. Shude, would getting Tans VIN help us in this quest ?

Thanks (as always)

Stuart

You see that green bit below the fuse in you HU picture, I think that is the cover for the fibre optic cable, not sure as you've cut it off from full display.

Craig

Had another look

Craig

I have just pulled this plastic bit out and there does seem to be a port in there that matches the silver port on the CD changer, so thats one cable I need...I guess ?

Stuart

For audio/control yes you need that fibre cable, but also that 3 pin cable carries power and gnd to the CD changer, that must come of the back of the head unit also from one of the 3 muliti pin connectors.

Maybe it's one complete loom with both copper and fibre cbales from MB, not sure, but you will need both cables for the CD changer to work.

Craig

Online help

OK I'm in the car right now surrounded by radio parts, but how the hell do you get the centre console out of an R170 ???

Heh, on the w202 you start by removing the armrest area so you can take the ashtray out! ;)

I'm in

Its OK, I'm in and haven't broken or bent too many things just yet - can't see an obvious place to put the GPS antenna yet tho :(

Shude - clear your pm out I need to chat off line :D

Update

OK I have installed the HU, the antenna is now underneath the dash above the glove compartment and is normally picking up 3 satellites. I have checked the Becker install guide on their website and according to the diagram attached :

I have wires for all bar the telephone mute in box A - not a big deal since I don't have a car kit installed at the moment in :).

I have the middle four wires in box B - well you'de expect that in an SLK that doesn't have any rear speakers :) - so that's all OK.

Therefore, I need :

1 - The connection wires running from C2 and C3 to the CDC (pictures attached earlier in this thread).
2 - The optic cable from HU to CDC (again pics attached earlier).

Shude any chance you can check in your box of tricks and let me know what part numbers I need to be buying from the dealerships and I will get the parts ordered ?

Many thanks

Stuart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom