no rain sensing wipers after all

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

genesis1210

Car
CLK 320
pssst am using my hubs log in but he says thats ok lol

I have recently purchased a merc sports coupe which was listed as having rain sensing wipers which I was very pleased about as hubby has them

well it has now started raining and it appears there are no rain sensing wipers and the garage confirms this and say it would be prohibitively expensive to fit them

so what sort of compensation do u think we should ask for? thanks in advance

I can't see why they would be particularly expansive to fit. It's effectively the sensor and telling the ECU to look for it.

Either insist they fit the option or refund the full cost of the said option as their claim was unlawful.
If you really can't live without then reject the car and ask for a full refund.

the front windscreen will have a purple square infront of the rear view mirror if your car has rain sensors.

it is easy to fit and rel. cheap, but you got to change your windscreen first! :O

Diesalmans advice for a refund would be what action i'd take!

Ask for a refund and compnesation i.e. discount on your first service too in addition to the refund BUT if you really want the Rain Sensor option than as others have already said you need the correct windscreen first (which could be "sourced" via the glass/windcreen cover which does not affect your insurance policy NCB ;)). BUT finding a good windscreen fitter would be your next challenge as alot of them have poor workmanship and cause damage to the cars body/paintwork/fixtures and fittings during the removal/installation process.

I personally would take the refund+compensation and in the near future IF the windscreen needed replacing i.e. due to crack (s) and stone chiping then go for the Rain Sensor mod... :)

fantastic advice thank you all

can i push a bit further and ask what sort of cost is it for the rain sensing option that i should ask for and what sort of compensation amount ??

i am not overly bothered about having them altho it did appeal to me .. i really like the car other than this small problem so dont really want a full refund but certainly want compensation its just how much i can get away with

thanks again

genesis1210 said:
can i push a bit further and ask what sort of cost is it for the rain sensing option that i should ask for and what sort of compensation amount ??
The sensor is about £100, fitting varies but essentially it has to be fixed to the screen and plugged in, possibly requring software activation.

Shude said:
possibly requring software activation.

STAR Software would definietly be needed for sure to activate the rain sensing wipers.

Genesis1220: Make the Stealership sweat and say that you are NOT happy and hold them to ransom by saying that unless they "compensate" you (make a proposal i.e. make them upgrade your alloy wheels or something FOC...) then under the Suppply and Sale of Goods Act you will be pushing for a full refund of the vehilce!!! This will work for sure.

genesis1210 said:
fantastic advice thank you all

i am not overly bothered about having them altho it did appeal to me .. i really like the car other than this small problem so dont really want a full refund but certainly want compensation its just how much i can get away with

thanks again

genesis1210 said:
well it has now started raining and it appears there are no rain sensing wipers and the garage confirms this and say it would be prohibitively expensive to fit them
I would ask this garage what they think the retrofit would cost, and then ask for that amount in compensation :devil:

Hi,

when i had my CLK, i considered this mod..... i'd need a new windscreen + programming by dealer.

i almost did the mod as my windscreen required replacement, but unfortunatly i couldnt persuade RAC Windscreens to fit a rain sensor windscreen.

I think, from memory, everything needed comes fitted to the screen, so all u need to do is plug in the wires behind the reading lamps (these ports are already there, as is with autodimming mirrors) & get it programmed by the dealer....

good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom