No rear nearside tail or foglight on ML270 CDI '54 plate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Laughing Spam

Car
Mercedes-Benz ML270 CDI
The rear nearside tail and foglight has stopped working on my '54 plate ML270 CDI.

I've cross-checked everything, bulb, fuse, relay, but there's still no power getting to the bulb holder.

PLEASE HELP! It's driving me even more mental than I already am (I have paperwork making it official).:wallbash:

There is only one working rear foglight, on the off-side. Do you have no red light at all on the near-side?

No, there's nothing. I noticed that the bulb is a 21/2w dual filament, odd if it's only offside fog. Maybe wrong bulb? Or have I missed a fuse?

No bulb out message in the cluster? You say no power to the holder, you've tried swapping bulbs from off-side?

its rear for Mercedes to use to rear fogs check see what bulb is in the opposite side

No 'bulb out' warning lights.

Bulb in o/s tried. Works fine in o/s, no joy in n/s.

Both bulbs are genuine Merc. 21/4w. They have offset prongs, normal bulbs don't fit.

Tried 12v circuit tester on bulb holder to no avail.

I've swapped fuses, relays and bulbs without gain.

The fuse boxes (1 under bonnet, 1 in driver's foot well) don't show a fuse for the rear n/s tail/fog lights. There is just 1 fuse and 1 relay for the both rear tail and fog lights.

sorry.
Its Very rare for Mercedes to used a rear forlight in the near side rear lamp on UK spec motors.
have your tried changing the buld to a different type.
Id guess it should be a 12V5W single pole bulb

Thank you. I've tried swapping bulbs. There is a Merc fitting dual filament 21/4w bulb in both o/s and n/s holders.
I don't have a 12v5w single filament bulb that fits, but I'll get one and try that tomorrow. That said, I did try the circuit tester but it didn't light.

any signs of corrosion or damage to bulb holder?
if you look at the bulb holder it should also indicate what bulb should be fitted to it.

Thanks for that. Y'know, the more I hear that it should only be a single filament 5w bulb, the more I think that this may be the problem.

I'll look at the holder in the morning, and will get a bulb from Mercedes.

I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Thanks to all for your invaluable advice. A round of virtual drinks are on me!

part number N072601 012701 think thats the current number off top of my head

There's no corrosion. It's all like new.

I'll check the holder for any info (it's v. poss that I missed it without my spectacles).

The more I think on the fact that it ought to have a single filament 5w bulb, the more I think that therein lies the solution.

I'll check the holder and get a bulb from Mercedes tomorrow, and will let you all know how I get on.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and wisdom with me thus far.

On my S210 the loom passes the LHS on its way to the RHS foglamp. The LHS unit has the fitting for the rear fog except not the the single filament bulb and holder, which are the same as the RHS. So bulb, holder and a short length or wire and we get a pair of rear fogs. Which I feel is a safer option in bad conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom