no spark

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

optimusprime

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes W124 260E M103
Hi could i check my coil by removing centre wire from distributer and putting it to ground on the engine. Will it damage anything. I have no spark at plugs .Nothing wrong with dist or rota. Both clean and dry when i removed them. Sorry Mercedes w124 260e m103 engine.

coil test

Grober i have had a 12 volt test light on the possitive side f the coil and on the negitive side.I have power in to the coil .On both neg and poss side they light up the bulb.Can the coil be knacked?

coil

Hi removed the coil for testing .Looking on how to check it with ometer ,can anyone direct me to the right location to get them please.The way to check it is what i need.

Checked by testing the resistance through the coil I believe don't know what figures you would be looking for though also does that model have a crank sensor maybe worth checking that

info

Roastbeef , i have a TDC censor on the flywheel but its only there to check timeing from a round type OBD plug on the inner wing it goes in from the rear,to remove you take the plug off ,and extract it from the rear. after its removed So would not stop the car from runnng.As you screw the top of the plug you can see the three holes that is part of the tdc censor. So it is only there for timeing check . Thank you. I want the ohms value for checking the coil on the bench. And the best way to check it out.

The CPS can stop the engine from running, very crudely if it's dead the EZL doesn't know that the engine is turning over...
That said AIUI they're not a common failure and when they do fail it's usually temp related i.e. work when cold, go out of spec when hot

15 Engine Electrical System - M103 15-1250 has resistance values, voltages etc

Roastbeef , i have a TDC censor on the flywheel but its only there to check timeing from a round type OBD plug on the inner wing it goes in from the rear,to remove you take the plug off ,and extract it from the rear. after its removed So would not stop the car from runnng.As you screw the top of the plug you can see the three holes that is part of the tdc censor. So it is only there for timeing check . Thank you. I want the ohms value for checking the coil on the bench. And the best way to check it out.

The flywheel sensor controls the engine, the round plug on the inner wing is connected to the sensor on the crank pulley.

spark

carat how would you check out this crank censor,i know its location, and have an meter. Pull it from the ezl what are the values.

The CPS can stop the engine from running, very crudely if it's dead the EZL doesn't know that the engine is turning over...
That said AIUI they're not a common failure and when they do fail it's usually temp related i.e. work when cold, go out of spec when hot

Thank you for the post ,in stereo yes. I posted on both forums as it was urgent.

spark

Hotrod coil was checked to-day its ok to go. How do i check the ezl and the cps censor. As the light was on both sides of the coil as i cranked i understand from other links that it might be the ezl not pulsing.

The CPS has a screened lead type connector = centre pin and outer sheath. With a DVM measure the resistance across the pickup coil --should be 680-1200 ohms. Insulation to earth from either contact should be better than 200Kohms. With the DVM set to AC volts connect across the the CPS lead contacts when disconnected from the EZL they should read > 1volt when the engine is cranked over.

spark

Grober can you tell me if the test i am to do are they from the end of the CPS wire after i pull it from the EZL .

grober can you tell me if the test i am to do are they from the end of the cps wire after i pull it from the ezl .
yes

oqbpxv.jpg

14sfuwo.jpg

Last edited:

Just looked at your link i know now were to look .Did not see it before did not know what it was.

spark

Grober Thanks , just printed off all info on ignition from the link you gave me .I can now check it out. The cps i can do. Lets hope it is the fault. Looking for the end that fits to the crank,i dont see it ,looked three times now. Trev

spark

Groba i used the red probe up the centre , and put black probe on the earth to the battery. Readings are nill ,zero .On this ohme meter it reads .75 on the other check inner and outter and earth .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom