No winter grip (or brains)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
My daily commute to take my daughter to school sees us having to drive over several miles of single track country lanes. A route I have frequented for several years, without incident. This changed this morning when a lovely showroom new shiny Jaguar F-Pace appears behind me (in my ancient but trusty Pajero).

The observant amongst us will have noticed a fair dusting of frost, ice and some fine snow on our country lanes. I will assume the driver of the F-Pace was not one of the observant. Intent on driving so close behind me I could not see his bonnet, he was continually shaking his head and indicating. My efforts to allow him to pass we’re doomed to fail due to the narrow winding lanes with no passing places for at least three miles.

Anyway the inevitable happened. As we approach a 90 degree right hand bend, he goes for it making a dive down my right before spotting the car approaching in the opposite direction.

To keep it brief. Jag guy locks up and passes me with all four wheels locked up. He then continues his slide into the left hand hedge. Luckily the hedge had a pre-prepared Telegraph Pole just where he was aiming. Man that made a loud bang. From my vantage point it looked like his entire front end tried to eat the Telegraph Pole, after it spat out its headlights, front bumper and a half ton of plastic.

We had a brief discussion where I asked if he was rushing to an emergency? He wasn’t. He did say he thought I was going “too slowly” and 25 is far too slow on these lanes.

Short conversation offered him the use of my mobile. He had his own. So we parted company.

I’m guessing he was sold a car and told it would make him invincible?

No gloating here. It’s actually scary to see this kind of thing. All that technology and he still can’t keep in straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My daily commute to take my daughter to school sees us having to drive over several miles of single track country lanes. A route I have frequented for several years, without incident. This changed this morning when a lovely showroom new shiny Jaguar F-Pace appears behind me (in my ancient but trusty Pajero).

The observant amongst us will have noticed a fair dusting of frost, ice and some fine snow on our country lanes. I will assume the driver of the F-Pace was not one of the observant. Intent on driving so close behind me I could not see his bonnet, he was continually shaking his head and indicating. My efforts to allow him to pass we’re doomed to fail due to the narrow winding lanes with no passing places for at least three miles.

Anyway the inevitable happened. As we approach a 90 degree right hand bend, he goes for it making a dive down my right before spotting the car approaching in the opposite direction.

To keep it brief. Jag guy locks up and passes me with all four wheels locked up. He then continues his slide into the left hand hedge. Luckily the hedge had a pre-prepared Telegraph Pole just where he was aiming. Man that made a loud bang. From my vantage point it looked like his entire front end tried to eat the Telegraph Pole, after it spat out its headlights, front bumper and a half ton of plastic.

We had a brief discussion where I asked if he was rushing to an emergency? He wasn’t. He did say he thought I was going “too slowly” and 25 is far too slow on these lanes.

Short conversation offered him the use of my mobile. He had his own. So we parted company.

No gloating here. It’s actually scary to see this kind of thing. All that technology and he still can’t keep in straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He was an idiot , and I'd have told him so to his face .

It would've been a slam dunk DWDCA had the cops been called .

My guess of the event (discussion between cars only, no drivers)
Jaag: "FFS will you move? Can't you see how fast I am??"
Pajero: Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, (changing from 3rd to 2nd gear) Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jaag:"Move, move, move, I'm fast and new and you are slow and old. Grrrrrr Grrrrr"
Pajero: Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, (changing from 2nd to 3rd gear) Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jaag:" Ha ha got you now!!! Look how fast I am! Looooser! Ha ha ha" (JC grim on a face of a Jag driver)
Jaag:"oh,oh,oh,ohhhhhhh,aaaagh" (Jaag kissed the Pole)
Jaag is dead (write off)
Pajero: Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, (changing from 1st to 2nd gear) Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Of course he thought you were slow, not because you were but because no old Pajero can be in front of a new Jaag. It's not your fault neither is a fault of Telegraph pole or 90 deg bend, it's only how pea sized brain of that Jaag driver operates.

Smug sense of AWD invincibility brutally torpedoed by basic physics. :rolleyes:

Is Jaguar now the choice of ex Audi & BMW drivers :dk::dk::dk:

JLR does seem to be a resting ground. I'm seeing more and more shonky driving lately from the likes of D3/D4/RRS.

Look on the bright side Bruce, neither your daughter or yourself were harmed by the cretin plus you behaved as a Gentleman stopping to see if you could offer help or assistance and that is something your daughter would have observed and be proud of her father for doing.

The Jaguar driver was a typical example of more horsepower than IQ and an inability to take the blame for his own stupidity. His insurance company will get revenge :)

My guess of the event (discussion between cars only, no drivers)
Jaag: "FFS will you move? Can't you see how fast I am??"
Pajero: Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, (changing from 3rd to 2nd gear) Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jaag:"Move, move, move, I'm fast and new and you are slow and old. Grrrrrr Grrrrr"
Pajero: Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, (changing from 2nd to 3rd gear) Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jaag:" Ha ha got you now!!! Look how fast I am! Looooser! Ha ha ha" (JC grim on a face of a Jag driver)
Jaag:"oh,oh,oh,ohhhhhhh,aaaagh" (Jaag kissed the Pole)
Jaag is dead (write off)
Pajero: Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, (changing from 1st to 2nd gear) Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Of course he thought you were slow, not because you were but because no old Pajero can be in front of a new Jaag. It's not your fault neither is a fault of Telegraph pole or 90 deg bend, it's only how pea sized brain of that Jaag driver operates.
You should write episodes of Thomas the Tank Engine - the Jag would no doubt be either Gordon or Speedy Spencer ; the Pajero might be little Thomas :)

Jags do now seem to be the car of choice for the thrusty young ****er yes.

Modern cars insulate people so much, plus very clever design and engineering makes their top heavy SUVs feel and drive like a low centre of gravity hatchback.

Trouble is that no amount of engineering can deny basic physics.

We get a lot of that over here. No matter what the weather conditions people drive way to close to my back bumper - even if we are the only cars on the road. To me it just shows that they are not thinking about what they are doing or the consequences of their actions.

As Scotty would have said, "Ye cannae change laws of physics, Jim" :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom