No winter grip (or brains)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My guess of the event (discussion between cars only, no drivers)
Jaag: "FFS will you move? Can't you see how fast I am??"
Pajero: Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, (changing from 3rd to 2nd gear) Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jaag:"Move, move, move, I'm fast and new and you are slow and old. Grrrrrr Grrrrr"
Pajero: Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, (changing from 2nd to 3rd gear) Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jaag:" Ha ha got you now!!! Look how fast I am! Looooser! Ha ha ha" (JC grim on a face of a Jag driver)
Jaag:"oh,oh,oh,ohhhhhhh,aaaagh" (Jaag kissed the Pole)
Jaag is dead (write off)
Pajero: Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, (changing from 1st to 2nd gear) Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Of course he thought you were slow, not because you were but because no old Pajero can be in front of a new Jaag. It's not your fault neither is a fault of Telegraph pole or 90 deg bend, it's only how pea sized brain of that Jaag driver operates.
The nice thing about my Pajero (yes there nice about Pajero's) it is the 3.5 V6 DOHC Short Wheel Base. So it is capable, very capable in these little lanes. Mr Jag maybe should have considered this. not everything is as it appears ;ˆ)
b29294605598144121173ddb448fef6f.jpg
d7f73248fb768f9785ad0ce37d6adae5.jpg

-A lovely showroom new shiny Jaguar F-Pace appears behind me.
-To keep it brief. Jag guy locks up and passes me with all four wheels locked up. He then continues his slide into the left hand hedge.
-I’m guessing he was sold a car and told it would make him invincible?
-All that technology and he still can’t keep in straight.

Smug sense of AWD invincibility brutally torpedoed by basic physics. :rolleyes:

Obviously the Jag drivers actions were foolish and didn't help the chances of him getting to the end of his journey accident free, but it would be interesting to know if this AWD Jag was dressed with winter tyres or not. If it wasn't then maybe his chances of staying on the road would have improved if it was. Which could bring us back to the question, Are winter tyres a con or not ???:dk:

I drove on untreated country roads at 6:30 am today in the MB.

540Nm of Torque available from around 1800 rpm and with temperatures ranging from -2.5 to -4.0 C and not once did I experience any slipping, sliding or other grip related issues and this is with 265/35/18 "Summer" tyres fitted.

Obviously the Jag drivers actions were foolish and didn't help the chances of him getting to the end of his journey accident free, but it would be interesting to know if this AWD Jag was dressed with winter tyres or not. If it wasn't then maybe his chances of staying on the road would have improved if it was. Which could bring us back to the question, Are winter tyres a con or not ???:dk:

They clearly make a difference , but so does adjusting your driving to suit the conditions .

On Tuesday, my drive home was in snow. There were two drivers who refused to drive according to conditions. One was driving a Velar but I don’t necessarily subscribe to 4x4 complacency theory.

The second was an articulated lorry, on the motorway. I was approaching the point where the M6Toll splits away from the M42 - there are five lanes, allowing traffic to get into lane for three diverging roads. It was snowing and everyone was travelling at exactly 40 mph in line with the variable speed limit signs - including me, the car ahead of me, the cars either side of me, but not the lorry behind me. He repeatedly flashed whilst driving a few feet from my rear bumper for several miles. As traffic split and speed limits increased I gently accelerated away. That could so easily have been accident, had someone changed lanes suddenly I couldn’t have reacted quickly enough. There, it’s off my chest.

Someone mentioned it the other day on another thread, but it does seem that when faced with snow or icy conditions, UK drivers divide into two large camps - those who believe that they can continue to drive as though they are on a dry, grippy, surface and those who are so timid that they become a mobile hazard in themselves - and a much smaller group who manage to assess the conditions and travel at an appropriate speed and distance from other vehicles.

I had the pleasure(?) on Tuesday evening of meeting both the main types at fairly close quarters. Around the Chiltern Hills we had a pretty impressive (for the south-east) fall of snow that started around 3pm and continued into the main commute time. I must say that I really enjoyed following in a queue of traffic behind one of the timid types along a dead straight road with no side turnings, entrances or other hazards, travelling at between 15 and 20mph :rolleyes:

Predictably, someone ahead of me decided to act as though there wasn't a 4 to 5-inch high ridge of snow either side of the wheel tracks and to simultaneously accelerate and pull out to overtake Mr Timid. The ensuing fish-tailing, 4-wheel drift and near spin into the verge on the other side of the road did seem to take him a bit by surprise, but I do give him credit for actually making the manoeuvre stick without hitting anything.

Me, I just sat in the slow moving queue, muttering to myself that Mr Timid would have done the whole world a favour if he'd caught the bus...

We have the the village school 100 yds to our left and about a 45 degree bend in the road 50 yards to our right. It's a 30 limit but 20 signs are up in anticipation of their introduction.

Yesterday morning the road was a complete sheet of iced over snow. This was obvious in the couple of hundred yards before the bend. But it didn't stop the school run crowd approaching at their usual 40MPH. Thankfully the outside of the bend had a wide grass verge, which is now quite chewed up. Quite how our BT Broadband box that sits there wasn't hit, I have no idea.

I took my wife's VW Tiguan around the bend later in the day - it's AWD and has full winter tyres. At little more than crawling it still went sideways at any touch of the gas pedal. On the straight the wheels locked very easily under braking.

The thing it was best at was pulling away in a straight line - it could do that remarkably well, which makes me think drivers with winter tyres will be lulled into a false sense of security.

Don't Jags have ABS then?
If the brakes are applied fully on ice , all four wheels will immediately lock and there is no speed difference between any wheels to activate the ABS .

ABS only works if there is a speed differential between one wheel and another

If the brakes are applied fully on ice , all four wheels will immediately lock and there is no speed difference between any wheels to activate the ABS .

Ok, thanks; I thought ABS systems were a bit cleverer than that these days. Perhaps if they linked to the car's GPS...

I thought ABS systems were a bit cleverer than that these days.
Some are more clever, and have a boundary condition programmed that represents the maximum plausible rate of deceleration of a wheel. If that's exceeded - for instance a wheel suddenly locking when on ice - the ABS system activates.

Don't Jags have ABS then?

You still will eventually slide if you are on ice. He was the proof. I also know this from my own three 4 X 4’s of which the Pajero is by country mile the most proficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 219
My view (being an expert). Is that anybody who set off in any motor car in snow & ice on single track lanes with high hedge rows, climbing over the rear of the car in from whilst sawing at the steering in a vain attempt to find an overtake is by definition an idiot. They usually avoid crashing due to the actions of other road users who often pull over.

This chap just looked like (I know) he had spent his spare cash on his dream machine in the belief that he was now King of the Road. It never works like that. Even on Winter Tyres [emoji2957]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The nice thing about my Pajero (yes there nice about Pajero's) it is the 3.5 V6 DOHC Short Wheel Base. So it is capable, very capable in these little lanes. Mr Jag maybe should have considered this. not everything is as it appears ;ˆ)
b29294605598144121173ddb448fef6f.jpg
d7f73248fb768f9785ad0ce37d6adae5.jpg
That vehicle looks like full Collector condition. Absolutely bloody marvellous !!

There and old saying that goes.....

‘Better to be late in this world than early in the next’

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For some strange reason the only ice i want will be in a stumpy glass with some tasty liquid.
43d5a888c84dbd6c7a6502283080cbfc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

He was an idiot , and I'd have told him so to his face .

It would've been a slam dunk DWDCA had the cops been called .

I wouldn't have stopped since there is a risk of being dragged into an interaction with an irate idiot who could well be looking to blame someone else for the results of his stupidity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom