Nobody expects-- the Volkswagen Scirocco

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I loved the old Scirocco, not sure about this one though - to me it doesn't have the same presence...

I think we are going through a period of really ugly design in cars -agression is the main feature; beauty and elegance the victim.

Big snarly, agressive mouths on the front like all Peugeots; the huge ugly mouth on the front of Audis; the ugly Ford Kuga. Cars are beginning to look like agressive yobbos -only the tattoos and rings through the noses are missing.

First you 'pedigree' and then after several generations you get 'third degree' but that was really 'six degrees' of seperation.

I like it. It maybe because I used have one of the last Mk1 storm models.

It was a great car, it aslo corroded quicker than a W210:crazy:

From behind it's just like an Astra coupe - front is so plain and boring you wouldn't look twice.

I wonder if car buyers will get quite as excited about it as Volkswagen themselves are?

Looking at it in the video clip, to me it seems like the VW designers on the "Scirocco Project" decided to have the day off and spend it down the bier keller... then realising they were up against it, hurriedly morphed a new ASTRA with an ALFA 147 ... result an amalgam mongrel !

Looks just like a hatch back to me, can't see any coupe in that car. The same goes for the C30 Volvo. Both of these cars ain't really coupes, just hatchbacks without the virtues of of a normal hatch.

A CLK is a coupe as is a CLK as is an Audi A5, a CLC to me is borderline coupe/hatch but it has RWD unlike the Sirroco and C30. Just my opinion though. I am sure as a sporty hatch the Sirocco will be great, just its not a coupe.

I have to say I quote like the look of the new scirocco myself, but then I quite like the golf V gti too, which this is based on.

also, you do get that great DSG gearbox.

dave

That's one ugly car -- a great pity. And the VW.co.uk website is a pain too.

If I wanted a bloated Vauxhall Corsa redesigned by Seat, I'd buy one.

Just not sure about this..

I think we are going through a period of really ugly design in cars -agression is the main feature; beauty and elegance the victim.

Big snarly, agressive mouths on the front like all Peugeots; the huge ugly mouth on the front of Audis; the ugly Ford Kuga. Cars are beginning to look like agressive yobbos -only the tattoos and rings through the noses are missing.

Interesting opinion, but I tend to disagree :)

I'd say there are alot of decent looking new cars out there and 'most' new Audis are looking particularly good. Much better than the old 'boring' MB and BMW era where all the models looked the same. I'm a fan of the Kuga (with bigger wheels) but I'd have to agree with your Pug comments. The Italians are producing some nice looking motors and some main stream makers are giving Joe public a great choice of tasty looking company cars (C5 etc) and family wagons.

As far as the yobbo quote, I can see where you're coming from. A lot of hot hatches are staring to go too far in terms of boy racer looks!

Compared to days of old there are far more better looking cars out there than ugly and dull ones.

Mind you, a forum for MB fans probably isn't the place to talk about good car design!! :devil: :D (I love living on the edge :) ) **

**Edit - I must admit that the CLS has created a new niche which is breeding some fantastic looking cars - Audi (A7), VW, Ford (4dr Passat/Mondeo Coupe) etc etc

Last edited:
Big snarly, agressive mouths on the front like all Peugeots; the huge ugly mouth on the front of Audis

Visual identity, branding, and all the other marketeer stuff means that brands are keen to differentiate themselves from each other.

In the old days the big old chrome raditator grille was used to do just that, but with pedestrian impact limitations in recent years, the closest this has been replaced with openings.

The irony is grille's will have an increasing amount of blanking plates in future, in order to reduce drag.

If it has two screen wipers, it's not a Scirocco.
And if it's front (wrong)-wheel drive, I'll not be owning it.

If it has two screen wipers, it's not a Scirocco.
And if it's front (wrong)-wheel drive, I'll not be owning it.
I'd even go so far as to say that if it's got two screen wipers then it's not a mercedes either! :)

EDIT: forgot to add that if it has a hatchback and door frames then it's not a coupé either!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom