noise from brakes when released

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Heres a bit of background..

Brand new brake discs and pads (MB OEM) fitted all around, the brakes work perfectly from any speed etc etc. HOWEVER when fully stopped say at lights, car in D when you remove you foot from the Brake to get onto the accelerator there is a Metallic grinding/crunching noise. This only happens when you let go of the pedal from a stop, it NEVER happens at speed/ while driving etc..

Seems odd? I originally thought it was the brake discs, but these were all changed and new pads.

Any ideas?

Were the pads loose or tight when fitted?

Sometimes the pads have extra ridges of material that need filling down so the pads can move freely.

Were the pads loose or tight when fitted?

Sometimes the pads have extra ridges of material that need filling down so the pads can move freely.

I dunno I didn't fit them. They are genuine Pads tho

I dunno I didn't fit them. They are genuine Pads tho

In that case I'd ask the place that fitted them to sort it.

Probably a sticking pad. If they didn't clean the callipers prior to fitting the pads this could also cause problems.

How many miles since they were fitted?

Any chance it's the bedding-in coating still wearing-off?

At least 1k miles but I'll wait a few k more to see what happens it only happens sometimes

Still have this issue, 3.2k after fitting.. any more ideas?

Check the caliper carriers are sliding freely.

BTW it doesn't seem to do it when in neutral the brakes are applied and let go, only when in Drive? And when releasing the brakes from stand still say at a crossing

If I very gently release the brake pressure when in drive, the torque converter's normal want to walk forwards causes a slight judder, but only if I release very slowly (to cause it), it's when the power to walk forward exceeds the friction holding the car still.

It's not something that happens during normal driving though, not even when creeping in traffic. I have to make an effort to find that balance, it'll then do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom