noise when starting engine mainly from cold (e220 cdi w212 2014)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kannanni

Car
e220 cdi saloon (2014 model)
hi all,

i am hoping to shed some light on this noise. It mainly happens on cold start-ups but it's not consistent and can happen at other times also. Lasts for like 20 seconds or so and it then goes away. seems to come from belts area.. (i hope its not the main chain belt so soon)
Car has 42k miles born in oct 2014 and has only been serviced by MB. under warranty until 2017 December. Noise can be heard better with opened bonnet.If inside the car you cannot hear it.

I took it to my main dealer and apparently they couldn't hear it. I have now recorded it with my phone and send an e-mail to their service manager hopefully waiting to hear from them next week.

Can someone please listen to the uploaded link and give me your thoughts as to what it might be.

Playing: Noise.mp3 - picosong

thank you,
kannani

Hi Kannanni,

Unlike your main dealer, I CAN hear what you're talking about: To my ears it almost sounds like a screw or bolt rattling on a metal plate - like something's loose.

My guess would be something exhaust related, hence why it's more noticeable when cold.

The chain is at the rear on this engine but tbh my previous MB cars have all used different engines, so others here maybe able to point to something that's a known issue on the 220cdi.

Best wishes getting it sorted :thumb:

Hi MarkII,

Thanks for replying, i am off tomorrow and will try going to mb and get it booked again. Its a bit weird as its not happening only when its cold,its casual without a specific pattern, it does sound like something's loose indeed, hopefully it's something small.. will update back here at the end.

thanks again,
kannanni

I've done a couple of timing chains on these.

Timing chain replacements

what were the reasons behind replacing the timing chains... high mileage...poor maintenance... etc?

Agree with above, sounds like something metallic rattling. It's quite a high sound, compared to the general engine sound, and I had to listen carefully and filter out the engine noise to hear it, but it's definitely there. Perhaps your AD just didn't listen carefully enough?

Good luck tracking it down. Perhaps getting hold of an automotive stethoscope and carefully listening to various areas might help to pin it down more successfully?

I've got it booked for the 4th of July with MB lakeside. I'm keeping an eye on it as its not there all the time. Hope it's not the timing chain.. Any other symptoms I need to look for the chain ?

Well I doubt it is the timing chain, a 2 year old car with 42,000 miles ,it would be very rare for a timing chain to rattle,if they say it is I would be looking for it to be done for nothing.

Hi there, I have heard a similar sound on a petrol e280. Turned out to be a loose plate in the Catalytic Converter.??

Noise is coming from left part infront of engine on the middle to bottom part. I hope is belt/tensioner/pulley related rather than main timing chain which is on the back of my engine.
What worries me is that is not there all the time,and when it is it only stays on startup idle for no more than 10 seconds so it's going to be quite difficult to catch it.

Hi Kannanni,

I wouldn't worry too much: Although there have been problems on the 220/250CDI engines which are fitted with a single row i.e not double row or 'duplex' timing chain, most of these seem to be on engines with 70 - 100,000+ miles on and your 2014 car is still under MB warranty anyway, so this would be sorted for you.

FWIW: There's a suggestion that constant Stop/Start can cause accelerated stretch in the chain which eventually the adjuster can no longer take up but if this were the case you'd be both very unlucky and suffering other related issues.

I genuinely don't think this is the case with your rattle and would want to gather a second opinion if a garage suggested it was because in all probability it's NOT the chain.

The rattle is quite 'lightweight' - my money is still on something exhaust related.

Hope the MB dealer gets it sorted for you.

Mark :)

Last edited:
I had similar noise going on with my car turned out to be the catalytic heat shield.
Easily fixed this myself
Cheers
Ben

Just a quick update. I still haven't been able to find out the source so far. Wondering if this is only me. Guess I have to live with this.. no error codes or warnings and car drives the same. Only worried it's not related to the timing chain or any of its components. Was thinking to remap the car but not sure if it's safe to do it

The exhaust manifold theory makes sense..... something is loose and tightens up when it gets warmer.....

If this the case how come sound is most definitely coming from top front of the engine. At list this is how it seems. Maybe the noise travels and is giving us fake impressions

I found this post as I'm experiencing exactly the same problem. Rattling mostly when cold and only for 20 seconds. I know i have diffrent engine 1.5 diesel b180d but I listened your recording and it is very similar.
Hopefully you found the problem. If yes, can you please let me know as they don't believe me in MB and according to them everything is normal.

Thanks

If this the case how come sound is most definitely coming from top front of the engine. At list this is how it seems. Maybe the noise travels and is giving us fake impressions
Hi,
I just bought a E250CDi used, found the exact issues like yours, can you share your finding and solution?
Best regards

If you turn off your A/C then go to the front to listen it would of gone!
Turn the A/C back on and it will come back......in fact all it is the A/C compressor clutch ...it will go on and off as it cycles.
Mine has done it for 4yrs since i owned the motor and still working ok.

It's a Diesel - they make anything rattle...lol. You'll also notice the Engine note changes slightly making the sympathetic vibration peter out.

Sounds like the alternator clutch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom