Noisy 220d W213?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SCRL

Car
W213 E220d
Wondering if anyone has, or has experience with, the current E Class 220d?

I have an 8-month old example (late 2017) with about 6000 miles on the clock. When the engine is cold, it's quiet and pretty refined - just like I would expect it to be. However, when it warms up, it gets considerably more "tractor-like" in the noise it makes. There's a noisy that sounds like a timing chain, or maybe an exhaust leak, or perhaps it's just a diesel injector noise. I don't know. This is *especially* noticeable under light load at low revs (<2000) rpm (when pulling away say, or crawling in slow moving traffic), and seems to disappear under heavier load or at higher revs. I can make it do it by just lightly opening and closing the throttle at about 10 mph.

This seems odd to me. It's not *that* noisy, but it's quite a bit noisier than my Mk7 Golf Diesel, and it seems strange that it's noisier when it's hot than it's cold. Aren't diesels supposed to be the other way around?

Before I get into a depressing "there's a funny noise that I can hear but you can't" type of discussion with my local dealer (I don't want to be the moaning customer who has imaginary problems), would anyone like to comment on whether this is normal and - whether it's normal or not - what it might be caused by?

Wondering if anyone has, or has experience with, the current E Class 220d?

I have an 8-month old example (late 2017) with about 6000 miles on the clock. When the engine is cold, it's quiet and pretty refined - just like I would expect it to be. However, when it warms up, it gets considerably more "tractor-like" in the noise it makes. There's a noisy that sounds like a timing chain, or maybe an exhaust leak, or perhaps it's just a diesel injector noise. I don't know. This is *especially* noticeable under light load at low revs (<2000) rpm (when pulling away say, or crawling in slow moving traffic), and seems to disappear under heavier load or at higher revs. I can make it do it by just lightly opening and closing the throttle at about 10 mph.

This seems odd to me. It's not *that* noisy, but it's quite a bit noisier than my Mk7 Golf Diesel, and it seems strange that it's noisier when it's hot than it's cold. Aren't diesels supposed to be the other way around?

Before I get into a depressing "there's a funny noise that I can hear but you can't" type of discussion with my local dealer (I don't want to be the moaning customer who has imaginary problems), would anyone like to comment on whether this is normal and - whether it's normal or not - what it might be caused by?

SCRL, It’s a noisy engine, unless you can identify unusual sounds coming from a specific area don’t worry, mine has just quietened down after 50k miles, I’m worried now that it’s too quiet!!!!!
I have been driving a year old bmw 320d m3 and can’t hear it running, no fun at all.
You have another two years warranty to determine if there’s anything seriously wrong.

Any updates on this? I have noticed the same thing and just bought the car

what engine oil do you have in the engine, mercedes engines are quite sensitive to other brands .

it would be good to hang some short file to hear the engine running at 2,000 rpm (outside). It would be easier to comment

Any updates on this? I have noticed the same thing and just bought the car
Still the same, three years on. Got the same noise, but nothing bad has happened. It's bit annoying that the engine is so much noisier (relatively) when warm than it is when cold, but there doesn't seem to be any harm going on, so I've accepted it.

I'm using MB oil (I hope!) as the car has been serviced so far at an MB dealer.

Strange it’s normally the other way round, noisy at cold starts, then subsides when engine is warmed up, has the noise been there since first day of ownership. This was one of my main reasons to choose another V6, when I replaced my W211, a couple of friends who have the E220d, really tried hard in persuading me to go for the 4 cylinder, saying it’s quieter then the older 4 cylinder, and that might be the case, but it just cannot be quieter or more refined then the V6, yes to compensate for that, increase in fuel bills, but my annual mileage being around 6k, it’s worth that little extra fuel costs.

Try some better motor oil, original MB are from italian company Petronas and I found out they are louder . I am going back to Mobil

I also get this noise/vibration in 1st gear when pulling away(around 1000rpm for a couple of seconds then goes away). It’s the kind of noise you get in a manual when in the wrong gear

I can't tell you how happy I am that I'm not the crazy one in this. My old Passat was by far quieter than my new 2019 E Class 220d SE. I really thought it was a problem in my car, I can't believe how noisy the car is...maybe it's the 18" wheels.., I don't know. At least now I know it's not a problem on my car..... (I was even thinking of returning it)

Its a noisy agricultural engine

I went the same audi 2.0 tdi to merc 2.1 cdi and it's like stepping back 15 years in time

I recently purchased an E220 Coupe and was very pleased with the engine and how quiet it is compared with the earlier 2.1 diesels.

I have just checked a website I occasionally use which measures decibel readings in cars, this shows the E220 is 1decibel noisier than the roughly equivalent BMW 2 litre diesel at idle but the Mercedes is quieter at 55mph, the Passat is noisier at idle for the 2 litre diesel by 1 decibel, there may be variations in results depending on engine model.

My coupe is very quiet on decent roads but terrible on rougher surfaces which I believe is due to the run flats which I detest.

Here is the link
Auto Decibel Database

Robin

and you were happier with the Audi? I had the Passat 2.0tdi (probably the same engine?) I can't believe how noisy this e-class is... I never imagined being so bad about this situation after making the change... I also ruled out that the car has the adaptive driving function.... (like the passat had that changed the speed according to the car in front of it) but it doesn't have that function from the standard factory... and it's like you say, going back 10 years!!!

I recently purchased an E220 Coupe and was very pleased with the engine and how quiet it is compared with the earlier 2.1 diesels.

I have just checked a website I occasionally use which measures decibel readings in cars, this shows the E220 is 1decibel noisier than the roughly equivalent BMW 2 litre diesel at idle but the Mercedes is quieter at 55mph, the Passat is noisier at idle for the 2 litre diesel by 1 decibel, there may be variations in results depending on engine model.

My coupe is very quiet on decent roads but terrible on rougher surfaces which I believe is due to the run flats which I detest.

Here is the link
Auto Decibel Database

Robin
My passat 2.0tdi was quite a bit quieter than this new car I have 2019 e class saloon 220d se. Should I be worried?

and you were happier with the Audi? I had the Passat 2.0tdi (probably the same engine?) I can't believe how noisy this e-class is... I never imagined being so bad about this situation after making the change... I also ruled out that the car has the adaptive driving function.... (like the passat had that changed the speed according to the car in front of it) but it doesn't have that function from the standard factory... and it's like you say, going back 10 years!!!
Yeah the Audi was better quality interior and the s-tronic gearbox was quicker and smoother than the merc auto.

The merc is a 2018 and 5 years younger too

The Merc does looks nicer though. But it ought to at 3x the price

My passat 2.0tdi was quite a bit quieter than this new car I have 2019 e class saloon 220d se. Should I be worried?
I had a 2013 a3 2.0l tdi 150 and this merc is a 2018 200d 2.1 134bhp and it is a lot noisier.

I would not be concerned just turn the radio up

I had a 2013 a3 2.0l tdi 150 and this merc is a 2018 200d 2.1 134bhp and it is a lot noisier.

I would not be concerned just turn the radio up
I'm going to do what you recommended hahah... but I still can't get over my amazement as I thought I had upgraded from the Passat and I feel like I've downgraded?!?!!! I am quite disappointed... :(

I'm going to do what you recommended hahah... but I still can't get over my amazement as I thought I had upgraded from the Passat and I feel like I've downgraded?!?!!! I am quite disappointed... :(
I thought being a 2018 mine would have AdBlue im actually impressed and relieved that it doesn't.

I would say that even the older VAG 1.9 pumpe duece engine is even more refined.

Mercedes Benz Tractor edition.
Im sure some diesel Mercs use a Renault engine which cannot be good. I think thats the 1.6 diesels

Maybe get a decibel meter to see if your readings are similar to those shown on the link I supplied.

I have a 2020 E220 Coupe which is much quieter than I expected and certainly not noisier if warm mine is if anything quieter when hot.

I’m not in a position to remark on the Passat engine as I cannot remember being in one.

If you have run flats they are noisier and far less forgiving on anything but a good road surface.

Robin

Maybe get a decibel meter to see if your readings are similar to those shown on the link I supplied.

I have a 2020 E220 Coupe which is much quieter than I expected and certainly not noisier if warm mine is if anything quieter when hot.

I’m not in a position to remark on the Passat engine as I cannot remember being in one.

If you have run flats they are noisier and far less forgiving on anything but a good road surface.

Robin
Hi Robin, I downloaded an APP to measure decibels and I'm at around 80... when the page you sent says 70... I have no way to measure the Passat because I don't have it anymore, but it's such a noticeable difference that I don't need an APP to know.
I have a SE which usually comes with 17" wheels but for some reason this one has 18" 245/45/18 Continental 6 in the rear and Michelin Primacy 3 in the front. Hopefully it's a problem with the wheels, alignment and/or balancing... please, I ask that!!! hahah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom