Noisy 240D

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sceh

Car
w123 240TD
I have a 1981 240TD with 120000 kms from new.
It is very noisy (engine) and always has been. It has excellent compression, new injectors. Any hints on how I can reduce the noise?
It is pretty sluggish (couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding actually) - any clues here?

Thanks for any pointers!

Sound's normal to me!
g.png
agreed with you

How many engine mounts are there? One at each side but is there another (I can't see one which is obvious but a spares site sells a third mount shaped like a T). Also, is there an engine shock absorber hidden somewhere? Haynes says there is but it is not very obvious.
thanks

There is a rear gearbox mount as well as the two side engine mounts . My Ponton had a shock absorber at the front running vertically down to the 'fahrenschemel' .

The only cure for a noisy Diesel engine is to take it out and replace with a nice petrol engine : a number of people do v-8 conversions into the W123 , a 5 litre M117 would cure all your current complaints :D

BTW , you at least have a 240D - if you really want to know what sluggish is , try a 200D . The performance of your car was considered quite sprightly by comparison back in the day .

Last edited:
Last year it went into a Bosch shop for a proper review of the injection system. It came back NOISIER with a peculiar sound - more metallic.
Is there anything that can be done apart from a V8?

If it bothers you that much, increase the fueling on the injection pump slightly.

One simple thing , on a practical level : does your car still have the under bonnet insulation ?

That really reduces any apparent engine noise , but has often disintegrated and fallen off older cars . You should be able to buy a new sheet of insulation and the glue from your local dealer for something like £40 or £50 - it really cuts down the amount of noise escaping to the outside .

Last year it went into a Bosch shop for a proper review of the injection system. It came back NOISIER with a peculiar sound - more metallic.

All I can think of is to check the pump timing is as it should be.

Is there anything that can be done apart from a V8?

There is a 5 cylinder diesel which can drop in without too much aggro IIRC. There are also turbo kits for them. A mate had a camper van based on a van which had the 240D engine and it had a turbo. A rudimentary turbo set up (include an intercooler) shouldn't be overly difficult and with the fuelling then turned up, a bit more power and a torque increase commensurate with turbo boost level.

A video would help a lot? Have you always ran it on diesel or ever veg oil mix? The power sounds normal.

My W124 E250D was a 5 cylinder normally aspirated diesel and went well enough ( I think it was a 20 valve ? ) .

One of those would drop in easily enough and not look too out of place ; otherwise the 300D engine as suggested above .

Some of the many rusted out Sprinter vans to be found in many scrapyards might be good donor vehicles ?

I will post a video tomorrow but I did find that the lower mount is shot. The site I buy from says I need TWO. I know there is one supporting the engine at the front cross member but where does the other go?
Here is an image of the mount
Thanks

Attachments

• mount.jpg
    mount.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 4
That's the front stop - 86 in the linked diagram. The main engine mounts sit mid way along the engine under arms from either side of the engine block. They are number 5 in the diagram. There may also be a shock absorber, 17.

W123 240D engine suspension diagram

Excellent site - thanks very much. They show a single mount but the Bilstein and other sites say you need two. Odd.
There is also a mount for the transmission which is under another crossmember behind the engine but I can't find it on their diagram. I tried other diagrams but the other engine ones don't expand.
here's a photo

Attachments

• mount1.jpg
    mount1.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 36
Nothing odd - this is the MB Electronic Parts catalogue being used here by Niemoller. Left and right side ones are needed, they are the same for both sides so order two from whoever.

They haven't got a diagram of the box, hence why you can't find it. Just google 240D gearbox mount and I found several on ebay.

When changing the front stop and the transmission mount, do I assume it is just a case of supporting the engine with a jack, lifting it a bit and then removing and replacing both?
Does anyone know if it is possible to retrofit the engine with engine shock absorbers? Normally, it seems the engine with a front stop does not have shockers but they can't do any harm if I can fit them. The question is whether the mountings are there and I can't see since I am not sure what I am looking for. Any clues?

here is the FSM for it

Attachments

• 2290.pdf
    83.7 KB · Views: 5
undoing the front stop bolt is a challenge since it is tightened to 120NM. Heat or brute force?

120N.m is only 80lb.ft - a 40lb pull on a two foot long bar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom