Noisy compressor on w168

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Howard

MB Club Veteran
Car
2018 C63 Wagon / CLK430 / A150 / VW Pink Floyd Golf Cabriolet
Hi all

We have a noisy AC compressor on the little purple a class :(

A bit of research suggests that the bearing can be changed ( thanks lofty ) but I'm curious as to the difficulty of this , being as I am about as technical as a teapot. So I'd need a garage to do it , but have no idea if it's an hours work or a days work.

Any ideas on timescale to change and likelihood of a garage wanting to do it ?

Bert Rowe's-Mercedes-Benz 'A'-class info. Air Conditioning Re Gassing

Found the bearing for just under £60 as opposed to £500 for a new compressor.

Simply Bearings Ltd

Any advice gratefully received

H :)

I just had the air-con compressor replaced on a W169 A-Class. It didn't look too difficult on the W169 as long as the car can be raised up high enough to work under. On the W169 the compressor is the last item to be bolted to the engine so it was quite easy to access. Not sure if this is the same on the W168.

The other point to note was that my mechanic commented that it is almost impossible to remove the pulley on these compressors to replace the bearing. Not sure if this is true, but a quick scan on eBay would suggest that there are many different compressor extracting kits on sale with relatively high prices for extracting the pulley.

I ended up getting a brand new compressor from Euro Car Parts.

Last edited:
The compressor is in the same place on the 168, easy to get to at the rear of the engine. On the last one I repaired the plastic "wedges" inside the clutch assembly were worn, it was causing one hell of a noise.

Hardest bit is getting a spanner up on to the belt tensioner, took about 2 hours to do the job properly.

Isn't this what Ed China did on Wheeler Dealers to the SLK?

The compressor is in the same place on the 168, easy to get to at the rear of the engine. On the last one I repaired the plastic "wedges" inside the clutch assembly were worn, it was causing one hell of a noise.

Hardest bit is getting a spanner up on to the belt tensioner, took about 2 hours to do the job properly.

Within the realm of possibilities for a competent garage to do then ?

What did you actually replace if you don't mind me asking ?

Our one sounds like an overloaded washing machine is probably the best description I can give.

Within the realm of possibilities for a competent garage to do then ?

What did you actually replace if you don't mind me asking ?

Our one sounds like an overloaded washing machine is probably the best description I can give.

Yes, any decent garage should be ok to do it. It was the clutch assembly itself that was changed, though with it comes a new pulley and bearing as well.

I was surprised that so much noise could come from something so simple, suspected the crank pulley damper breaking up when it was bought in but not the case.

Edit: the blue plastic part in this picture was the problem in my case, the bearing was still ok.

compresssor%20clutch%20drive.jpg

Last edited:
Are you sure it's the compressor?

We've had pretty much every other pulley replaced , and had a new alternator within the last six months. The garage are pretty certain it's the compressor as it went away when you turned the AC off , but now it has started doing it all the time ?

I just had the air-con compressor replaced on a W169 A-Class. It didn't look too difficult on the W169 as long as the car can be raised up high enough to work under. On the W169 the compressor is the last item to be bolted to the engine so it was quite easy to access. Not sure if this is the same on the W168.

The other point to note was that my mechanic commented that it is almost impossible to remove the pulley on these compressors to replace the bearing. Not sure if this is true, but a quick scan on eBay would suggest that there are many different compressor extracting kits on sale with relatively high prices for extracting the pulley.

I ended up getting a brand new compressor from Euro Car Parts

Apologies for hi-jacking someone else's thread, but I've just had my W169 engine whine diagnosed as the A/C compressor bearing!
May I ask how much the compressor was from ECP and what was the part number?
Also, if you don't mind, how much was the fitting and how long did it take.
Many thanks in advance,
Slime.

Oh, I assume that sorted your problem.

Apologies for hi-jacking someone else's thread, but I've just had my W169 engine whine diagnosed as the A/C compressor bearing!
May I ask how much the compressor was from ECP and what was the part number?
Also, if you don't mind, how much was the fitting and how long did it take.
Many thanks in advance,
Slime.

Oh, I assume that sorted your problem.

The Denso (OEM) compressor from EPC (new and not the refurbished version) was circa £450 delivered to the garage. But I subsequently found out that the same compressor could have been purchased from an EPC store for circa £400. Removal and fitting took less than an hour (inc fitting a new fan belt). On top of this factor in an air con recharge after replacement.

Where are you based?

The Denso (OEM) compressor from EPC (new and not the refurbished version) was circa £450 delivered to the garage. But I subsequently found out that the same compressor could have been purchased from an EPC store for circa £400. Removal and fitting took less than an hour (inc fitting a new fan belt). On top of this factor in an air con recharge after replacement.

Where are you based?

I'm just outside Guildford, in Surrey.
Thanks for the info mate.
I'm glad it sounds a reasonably straightforward job but £400 is a lot of money to replace a compressor when only the bearing is shot.
Do you know whether the bearing/pulley is available seperately?

According to Loftys A class site this is the bearing for the w168 , I think it shares the same compressor as the w169. But don't quote me lol

Simply Bearings Ltd

According to Loftys A class site this is the bearing for the w168 , I think it shares the same compressor as the w169. But don't quote me lol

Simply Bearings Ltd

Thanks Howard, I appreciate your help. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom