Noisy new cat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chorcheela

Car
1999 E200T
I posted elsewhere on the forum a while ago regarding my new cat for my E200. It is still quite noisy on accelleration and first start up; the fitter says that bits of the dcecayed old cat are working their way thru the rest of the exhaust and that this is causing the noise. It does seem to be slowly getting better, any thoughts anybody?

This has been discussed at length before on the forum.In short non-OE make cats are noisy and don't last very long ! The fitter is pulling your leg... blown through substrate powder makes no noise.

adam

big x said:
This has been discussed at length before on the forum.In short non-OE make cats are noisy and don't last very long ! The fitter is pulling your leg... blown through substrate powder makes no noise.

adam

No but broken off lumps do (as in my SLK230)

Bazzle

It's most probably broken off bits of the 'Ceramics' inside the 'Cat'.

Ciao.

Well you could test that theory by disconnecting the back box and going for a blast, making good use of the turbo.

i dont think you have any bits of the old cat in the new cat, at least i think that is what your fitter is trying to tell you.
The noise is from the non oem cat. I am definately going to buy oem cats from now onwards due to the amount of noise from non oem.

I remember when I had a new cat fitted to my old c class it was as noisy as hell on acceleration(very tinny and siunded as if it were blowing abit)But when I'd been on a burn up the motorway for about 4hrs it quitened down a bit.When starting from cold it was back to been noisy again.Took well over a year and 15000 miles to bed in properly.I will buy OEM next time if the problem ever arises on my new car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom