Noisy Power Fold Mirrors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Webbo15

Car
C180 Kompressor (W204)
Hi

My folding door mirrors are very noisy in operation, is there an easy way to give the mechanism some lubrication?

It's the rubber. Some lubricant on a micro fibre keeps it at bay for a few months. Apply it to the rim when open and when folded, for maximum coverage.

The easiest is if you remove the cover for access to the D shaped rubber, but this is a bit of a pain.

Had this problem with my CLK, with probe spray the joints open and folded also insert probe above the glass and spray. Job done.

Have tried spraying with WD40 probe around the joint where the mirror rotates but this has had no effect so far. Will try above the glass as well. Is WD40 the right product for this or should I be using something else?

WD40 will not help much , you can remove the 'flexi' covers and grease the actual exposed gear set. Try not to fold them unless you have to , one (or more) of the wires will eventually break . A common fault.

WD40 will not help much , you can remove the 'flexi' covers and grease the actual exposed gear set. Try not to fold them unless you have to , one (or more) of the wires will eventually break . A common fault.
ok thanks will try an alternative - maybe a silicone spray. Is the 'flexi' cover the plastic cover with inbuilt turn light and does it just need easing out with a screwdriver or similar?

Use a dry PTFE spray, the type used on MTB chainsets. It won't attract dirt and grit.
The door mirrors on the W203 had similar noise problems and there was a slip film (similar to helicopter tape) that could be applied. Not sure if the W204 has something similar. Check with the parts dept?

ok thanks will try an alternative - maybe a silicone spray. Is the 'flexi' cover the plastic cover with inbuilt turn light and does it just need easing out A PTFE Spray finally silenced my mirrorsin a spray can worked on mine.
A PTFE spray finally worked on my mirrors. I tried White Lithium Grease spray and whilst effective it did not last long.
WD40 is primarily a Water Dispersant( WD) and has fairly poor lubricating properties, it will actually remove existing grease though!

I used Bilt Hamber Korrosol, which worked very well.

I think I have this problem.. the drivers side mirror doesn't respond to the auto fold button.. is it an easy fix?
WD40 will not help much , you can remove the 'flexi' covers and grease the actual exposed gear set. Try not to fold them unless you have to , one (or more) of the wires will eventually break . A common fault

ok thanks will try an alternative - maybe a silicone spray. Is the 'flexi' cover the plastic cover with inbuilt turn light and does it just need easing out with a screwdriver or similar?
They are kind of odd and sort of pop out , I did mine a long time ago but I don't remember having to un screw anything to remove them . Best done when warm (as with most plastics/rubber) . When I put them back on one kind of got a litte out of shape and stopped the mirror folding out but was easily sorted with a but of warmth an bending by hand.

Thanks everyone, it looks like PTFE spray gets most votes so I will get some and give it a try.

Thanks to all for your response

The constant flexing of the wires to the mirror can result in breakage in the conductor(s) and failure of various functions

Curious... why do you advise this?
The wires to the various functions are very thin and badly routed they break very easily over time , they are not particularly difficult to repair if you have decent DIY skills , main dealers will probably try to sell you a complete unit and charge at least 2 hours labour. I very very rarely fold mine since the last repair I had to carry out.

The wires to the various functions are very thin and badly routed they break very easily over time , they are not particularly difficult to repair if you have decent DIY skills , main dealers will probably try to sell you a complete unit and charge at least 2 hours labour. I very very rarely fold mine since the last repair I had to carry out.
Mine was actually very costly to repair/replace, so you have a point. Can I confess that it is usually a very good indicator for me as to whether or not I've locked the car? I always seem to forget!

No idea why MB don't spec ultra-flexible cables, as used in robotic assembly machines. Cost probably

Agree only fold when required

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom