Noisy power steering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AdamBoyse

Car
Defected to Porsche but still love mercs. Last car W202, C200 sport.
Hi all,

The power steering on my W202 is whining a lot and it's not just the usual noise you get from PAS when you have the steering on full lock.

Every time I turn the wheel it makes a reasonably loud whining noise - it's usually worse when I first drive the car but it can always be heard in the background as I turn corners at low speed.

The local Dealership say that it's normal for the PAS drive belt to get dry and they told me they put more PAS fluid in at my last service. However, I'm not convinced they did put any fluid in and if they did it didn't stop the noise.

As the car has about 2 months before it's out of warranty I wanted to get this sorted. As it's not "broken" the dealership aren't interested.

Anyway, do you agree with the dealer's diagnosis - and if it is a "dry PAS belt" how do I go about resolving it?

Cheers

Adam

Have you checked the power steering fluid level.

I think this needs to be checked with the ignition off and the vehicle in a straight ahead position.

check the fluid level for pas system,also I think there is a modified tensioner for the multigroove belt on these models,but I could be wrong.
if the dealerdhip are not interested in this problem and you still have warranty,them you should tell them that you will contact mercedes benz uk at milton keynes about their bad customer service.
good luck.

how do I check the fluid in my car?

It's not in the hand book.

I know where the fluid goes, its how I go about checking the actual level I need to know.

should be in the hand book.
resovoir is located at the front of the engine on the right or passenger side if its a rhd car.
normally just above the p.a.s pump,unscrew the cap and it should have adipstick attached to it,level is normally an inch from the top with wheels straight ahead and engine off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom