Nokia 6230i problems with C-Class car kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ccp

Car
A7 3.0 TDI quattro / Q7 3.0 TDI quattro
Got hold of a cradle for my Nokia 6230i to fit into the arm rest of my C class estate. When I plug the phone into it it all appears to start working (car symbol appears on the phone and charging starts) then after approx. 10 seconds the phone powers off:mad: . If I turn it back on it just turns off a few seconds after it starts working again.

Tried a replacement cradle - no difference.

Just wondered if anyone else had seen something similar? Or if someone with a Nokia 6230i that works with the MB car kit could tell me their Nokia firmware version. - you type *#0000# on the phone and it pops up.

Thanks

there are two 6230 cradles kicking about.

one is for the 6230 and one is for the 6230 and 6230i.

Can't remember the part number but the sticker on the back lists 3 phones including 6230i - so it should be the right one?

ccp said:
Can't remember the part number but the sticker on the back lists 3 phones including 6230i - so it should be the right one?

yeah , must be a firmware issue on the phone then.

was just pointing out to make sure before you start pulling your hair out :)

My 6230i which works fine in both the D2B and MOST based UHI cars is s/w version V03.62 04 Nov 05

Cheers
Richard

ccp said:
Got hold of a cradle for my Nokia 6230i to fit into the arm rest of my C class estate. When I plug the phone into it it all appears to start working (car symbol appears on the phone and charging starts) then after approx. 10 seconds the phone powers off:mad: . If I turn it back on it just turns off a few seconds after it starts working again.

Tried a replacement cradle - no difference.

Just wondered if anyone else had seen something similar? Or if someone with a Nokia 6230i that works with the MB car kit could tell me their Nokia firmware version. - you type *#0000# on the phone and it pops up.

Thanks

If in your user profile you have "igntion detect = ON" then you may have a variant in the phone setup which does not agree with the UHI cradle. If you can find this setup menu check it and see that it is turned to OFF.

Thanks Miro & Richard. The ignition detect is set to off already, but my firmware version is 3.30 Will try and get hold of a newer phone to test it with.

ccp said:
Thanks Miro & Richard. The ignition detect is set to off already, but my firmware version is 3.30 Will try and get hold of a newer phone to test it with.

The minimum level of required firmware is written on the sticker next to the name of the phone. That would be the meaning of those decimal points.

I had exactly the same symptoms with a Nokia 6230i and a UHI kit (W208 CLK/ self-installed retrofit). Phone recognised kit, showed car symbol and started charging, then after approx 10 secs it went dead (did not turn off in normal orderly fashion, just went blank).

I checked ignition detect (set to off) and software version (3.40 same as that indicated on label on back of cradle).

Having tried a number of times over several days with no joy, I gave it one final try and the phone stayed on (and the kit worked). Unfortunately, I had done nothing between the time I first put it in and when it started working so I cannot suggest what you might try to remedy the problem, other than to persevere and keep trying over a number of days (Not very scientific I know).

Good luck.

Thanks for you comments everyone.

I've tried three different phones now, versions 3.30, 3.50 and 3.62. They all show the same symptoms ... so its back to the main dealer it goes. I'll see what they come up with.

ccp said:
Thanks for you comments everyone.

I've tried three different phones now, versions 3.30, 3.50 and 3.62. They all show the same symptoms ... so its back to the main dealer it goes. I'll see what they come up with.

Suggest its time to (in this order until it fixes it)
(a) check no errors are being flagged by phone/agw/cd/comand/radio
(b) See if the phone controller needs a software update (flash update)
(c) ensure that (assuming facelift model here) the AGW has the latest flash update released a couple of months ago
(d) check the wiring between the UHI pickup and the phone controller ...
(e) replace the phone controller

Cheers
Richard

Quick update. Car has been to MB who have decided to replace most of the phone components - connector in the armrest, wiring loom and the control box. Parts are on order so just waiting for a phone call...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom