Nokia 6310i in W215

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jbo

Car
CL55AMG,CL500(W216)
Advice needed!! I have just bought a 2003 CL55 which has the MB intergrated telephone (Nokia 6310i) Phone is working ok but is continually dropping calls (appears to be due to poor signal) The cradle part number is A215 820 0351 which i think is correct. I have tried connecting a different antenna (screen mount) to the cradle but this has not resolved the problem. I am now trying to identify the PSE module. After looking on previous threads i know which numbers to look for but i have checked under the drivers side rear seat and not sure if im looking in the right place?? Any ideas where the PSE module is on the CL and does anyone have any other ideas as to why the phone keeps dropping calls. Also why is it when you set the phone not to send your phone number it still does when the phone is in the cradle but it doesnt when taken out? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
pretty sure you'll find the pse module in the boot beside the cd changer - think you have to dismantle part of the boot lining to gain access though.

jbo said:
Advice needed!! I have just bought a 2003 CL55 which has the MB intergrated telephone (Nokia 6310i) Phone is working ok but is continually dropping calls (appears to be due to poor signal) The cradle part number is A215 820 0351 which i think is correct. I have tried connecting a different antenna (screen mount) to the cradle but this has not resolved the problem. I am now trying to identify the PSE module. After looking on previous threads i know which numbers to look for but i have checked under the drivers side rear seat and not sure if im looking in the right place?? Any ideas where the PSE module is on the CL and does anyone have any other ideas as to why the phone keeps dropping calls. Also why is it when you set the phone not to send your phone number it still does when the phone is in the cradle but it doesnt when taken out? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1/ Drops calls ? Impossible to pin point with the car and the phone as radical variables. How many bars on the screen ?

2/ PSE should be under the passenger cushion. Lift up the rubber mat and then undo 2 or 3 screws to reveal the modules under the solid metal plate.

3/ If you want to change over to 2005 phone system I can do it .... Please check with British Airways on the cost of the job :eek:

4/ Phone number privacy doesnt work.

Found PSE

Thanks for the advice. Have found the PSE under the rear seat mounted to the metal plate as described. Confirmed that the part number is A203 820 2585 which i understand is the correct unit for the Nokia 6310i. I guess i will have a bit more trial and error to resolve the signal problem which must be something to do with the arial. For info the signal drops in more locations (on the same route to work) than it used to in my previous car, which only dropped signal in one bad reception point, with the same phone and an intergrated phone kit (with a screen arial). Its virtually impossible to have a conversation for more than two minutes or so in the Merc. The command display shows a 2 or 3 bar signal as you lose the call but within approx 5 seconds shows no signal at all but only after the call has been dropped. The Nokia 6310i signal display obviously responds a bit quicker than the command screen and shows no signal almost immediatley you lose the call. I will update if i can find a solution.

I had exactly this problem with my W203. It turned out to be the Compensator which is fitted in the antenna lead between the phone and the antenna. In the W203, it's mounted adjacent to the PSE behind the rear seats - it's a small die cast aluminium box with three connections (input, output and power).

The dealer took a bit of convincing but swapping it proved to solve the problem. If you can find it on your car, you might try bypassing it by disconnecting the input and output leads from the compensator and connecting them together so that the phone is connected directly to the antenna. This should improve matters.

rs2000 said:
I had exactly this problem with my W203. It turned out to be the Compensator which is fitted in the antenna lead between the phone and the antenna. In the W203, it's mounted adjacent to the PSE behind the rear seats - it's a small die cast aluminium box with three connections (input, output and power).

The dealer took a bit of convincing but swapping it proved to solve the problem. If you can find it on your car, you might try bypassing it by disconnecting the input and output leads from the compensator and connecting them together so that the phone is connected directly to the antenna. This should improve matters.

It probably is the compensator but let me say .... it is powered by the PSE.

The compensator removal on the W215 is no fun at all. The C-pillars, rear seat backrest and rear shelf must be removed to expose the compensator under the rubber foam.

Bypassing it is no easier. There is a massive amount of rubberised foam in the wiring tunnel leading into the trunk.

THe only way to be sure would be to replace the compensator, cradle and PSE and with so many new parts there would be fewer possible causes. I was wondering if the car was ever in an accident and was repainted and baked. From time to time the oven lamps baked the rear glass to such an extent that the antennas fall off the glass. So there may also be a loose 'through-glass" phone antenna. (It is possible depending on the heat the car is parked in also).

If someone wants to go this far then they may as well upgrade. I think I have a pile of removed PSE modules somewhere and disused cradles. I may have sent the modules to MBenzNL since I had no use for them.

Last edited:
still trying !!

Thanks for the info on the compensator and its location. Is the compensator in the boot or cabin side of the rear seat backrest? What exactly does the compensator do (boost / compensate when there is a poor signal?)
So far we have tried accessing the underneath of the cradle and attaching a screen type antenna directly to it,with the phone still mounted into the cradle, with no real improvement. After considering that the car will probably have a metalised / reflective screen we have also located the antenna on the outside of the n/s/r window, rather crude i know, but just to see if the signal improved which it did to a certain extent but still not at all satisfactory. I am now wondering if the antenna connection in the cradle could be at fault and may think of trying another cradle if i can get hold of one to identify if this is the problem as i have noticed on the odd occasion that when putting the phone in the cradle it seems to reduce the signal on the phone itself (this is when the phone cradle is attached directly to the screen type antenna and not through car antenna lead & compensator)
When the cradle is attached to the normal car antenna there seems to be a fluctuating signal on the phone when the car is parked!? I shall keep going until i get to the bottom of this!!!

Since the cradle enables the phones external antenna you may want to get someone to replace the antenna connector inside the phone. It is after all a wear and tear part of the phone.

The compensator adjusts the high and low frequency. It does not boost the signal. IT is inside the car on the rear parcel shelf.

and next ....

I have just tried yet another 6310i to see if it was the phone or the antenna connector in the phone that was at fault, and no change. Anyone have an old A215 820 0351 phone cradle that is surplus to their requirements. If that doesnt solve it its on to the compensator, however, i think i have proved its not the compensator as we have already by-passed this by using another antenna and lead connected directly to the cradle. Surely it has to be the cradle !!??!!!

jbo said:
I have just tried yet another 6310i to see if it was the phone or the antenna connector in the phone that was at fault, and no change. Anyone have an old A215 820 0351 phone cradle that is surplus to their requirements. If that doesnt solve it its on to the compensator, however, i think i have proved its not the compensator as we have already by-passed this by using another antenna and lead connected directly to the cradle. Surely it has to be the cradle !!??!!!

If you change over to UHI then you can just use the BLuetooth solution.

JBO - if you are in the UK - then your 2003 CL is probably still under warranty (assuming its a UK dealer supplied car) - (or just went out of warranty) as we get 3 years.

So, get your dealer to fix the problem !! If you're near Ascot I can lend you a W203 cradle - good for at least trying it out - but I cant guarantee the quality of the cradle since it was given me by a MB tech, which probably means it came out of a car under warranty.

I had a cradle that the antenna connection on it broke. So its a big possibility that you have a similar issue - especially if you have already elmintaed the compensator (which sounds like you have) - if you use the phone in the car (without the cradle) and it works better, it sounds like its an aerial connection issue on the cradle. Do you have a voltmeter, you can measure the resistance while you twiddle the cables ..

Cheers

Richard

Last edited:
richard said:
JBO - if you are in the UK - then your 2003 CL is probably still under warranty (assuming its a UK dealer supplied car) - (or just went out of warranty) as we get 3 years.

So, get your dealer to fix the problem !! If you're near Ascot I can lend you a W203 cradle - good for at least trying it out - but I cant guarantee the quality of the cradle since it was given me by a MB tech, which probably means it came out of a car under warranty.

I had a cradle that the antenna connection on it broke. So its a big possibility that you have a similar issue - especially if you have already elmintaed the compensator (which sounds like you have) - if you use the phone in the car (without the cradle) and it works better, it sounds like its an aerial connection issue on the cradle. Do you have a voltmeter, you can measure the resistance while you twiddle the cables ..

Cheers

Richard

The cradle connectors are different. The W215 Nokia cradle has identical connectors on it to those used in the UHI version junction points. Odd isnt it.

miro said:
The cradle connectors are different. The W215 Nokia cradle has identical connectors on it to those used in the UHI version junction points. Odd isnt it.

Aha. I have a W211 cradle with the curly lead as-well - does that have the correct cable ?

R

richard said:
Aha. I have a W211 cradle with the curly lead as-well - does that have the correct cable ?

R

That would be the third variant ..... wrong antenna connection.

It is thus in the world of Nokia cradles in various cars.

a) W203 version - RJ48 (RJ50) 10 pin data and mini UHF antenna

b) W211 version - 2 x 5 pin connector and mini UHF antenna

c) W215 version - 2 x 5 pin connector and SMB fakra antenna

Go figure !

some progress !?!?!?

Thanks again for all your advice and help so far.
I'm not jumping for joy just yet but...I have taken apart the phone cradle and removed the antenna connector from it so that the Nokia phone now sits in the cradle but uses its own internal aerial, and...surprise surprise the phone now performs much better!! The phone is no longer dropping calls in poor signal areas, although you can tell its struggling, and the only other observation is that the caller on the other end can hear some interference during the call.
I see this as a temporary fix for the time being and will keep an eye out for a replacement cradle (A215 820 0351) to try in the future.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
jbo said:
Thanks again for all your advice and help so far.
I'm not jupping for joy just yet but...I have taken apart the phone cradle and removed the antenna connector from it so that the Nokia phone now sits in the cradle but uses its own internal aerial, and...surprise surprise the phone now performs much better!! The phone is no longer dropping calls in poor signal areas, although you can tell its struggling, and the only other observation is that the caller on the other end can hear some interference during the call.
I see this as a temporary fix for the time being and will keep an eye out for a replacement cradle (A215 820 0351) to try in the future.

Thanks again.

Why dont you cut your loses and go for the 2005 upgrade kit with UHI ?

Uhi

What work exactly is involved and approx cost implications because i do agree that this is obvioulsy the way forward especially if there may be a future possibilty of bluetooth intergration at some time.

Bluetooth??

I have spoken to Baybrooks in the UK who will supply a UHI upgrade kit. Will there be or is there already a bluetooth adaptor that will then connect to the UHI kit to allow use of any type of mobile phone via bluetooth??

jbo said:
What work exactly is involved and approx cost implications because i do agree that this is obvioulsy the way forward especially if there may be a future possibilty of bluetooth intergration at some time.

1 control module
1 voice module
1 armrest trim
1 contact plate for UHI cradle

Lots of patience
Programming of head unit.

Anyone can fit the parts but without some expertise it wont work. It needs someone who has done it before.

I will be in Stuttgart in July 2006. I can easily pass your way and do the whole job for a donation towards my travel costs from Germany.

Cost wise .... 600 pounds or so. Needs to be confirmed regarding travel leg.

You must confirm with Braybrooks if they have done a CL before. As it is not the same as doing other cars. I have converted a 1999 S-Class to UHI in no time at all. But the late model 215 is not the same thing.

What year is the build ?

Last edited:
Uhi

Braybrooks have stated that they can supply a kit which has had some modifications already made to the wiring so that it would just be a case of replacing the PSE and plugging in the existing wiring into the new unit and plugging in the aeriel lead and RJ45 connector into the new UHI adaptor / contact plate. No additional re-wiring required it appears?? Are you saying, based on this info, i would need to have some re-programming done as well??
The only benefit i see to doing all this would be that the impending bluetooth device from MB would fit into the UHI contact plate to allow me to use my normal bluetooth mobile.

The car is a 2003 model CL55.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom