Nokia 6310i with command-help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrfiepro

Car
E430 AMGish
I have a 1998 W210. I have installed a nokia 6310i with the MB PSE and MB mic along with a MB loom. All aspects of the command and phone work fine except one little minor annoyance; I cant get the MB microphone to work.

I have tried the two types available from MB and I have tried the new MB PSE ( 203 820 51 85). I have metered all the cables and the mic wiring is connected through to the PSE in the boot(pins 14 & 15). But still no one can hear me.

I wondered if any of you Comand wizards had any ideas, maybe not a solution just any ideas of what to test next.

Thanks

mrfiepro said:
I have a 1998 W210. I have installed a nokia 6310i with the MB PSE and MB mic along with a MB loom. All aspects of the command and phone work fine except one little minor annoyance; I cant get the MB microphone to work.

I have tried the two types available from MB and I have tried the new MB PSE ( 203 820 51 85). I have metered all the cables and the mic wiring is connected through to the PSE in the boot(pins 14 & 15). But still no one can hear me.

I wondered if any of you Comand wizards had any ideas, maybe not a solution just any ideas of what to test next.

Thanks

Possible that the mic connections are crossed.

Worth a try.

rgds

dave

mrfiepro said:

Thanks

Im not saying it is a cure but do you have anything else in the car like CD stacker and/or voice control and/or tele-aid - the introduction of a new device warrants that you should sequence the fibre-optic cable in the correct order.

Even in this case the unit may run with voltage and not be coded in the optical loop. Just a long-shot.

Thanks for the responses.

I have tried both mics both ways round with no diffenence.

As for as coding goes I have used the diagnosis under command and performed a test with an open loop and the phone is being seen.

I am also getting sound through the comand from the caller. I can't understand why absolutly eveything else works but not the mic.

Miro, can you suggest any other test I can do on the d2b loop. I have the MB version coding document and it all looks like it complies with that document. The only other divide on the loop is a CDC.

I will try and just switch the order of the devices and see if that makes any difference. The only aspect of all this I haven't investigated is the phone it self, I wonder if it is possible that the phone is faulty...................

I'll keep trying, I'm determined to get it sorted so I can sell some of the bits I have left, I nearly have enough bits left for a complete new installation.

Can anyone with a phone installation confirm that the mic is connected to pins 14 and 15 of the d connectors on the PSE? Please!!!!

Regards

Last edited:
mrfiepro said:
Can anyone with a phone installation confirm that the mic is connected to pins 14 and 15 of the d connectors on the PSE? Please!!!!

Regards

If you are using an MB phone loom, the mic cable will be wired correctly (i would have thought) But I dont know to which pins, sorry, as I've not had a reason to pull the loom apart to that degree. Could there be a break in the mic part of the loom perhaps?

I dont think the fibre optics are the cause simply because you are getting incomming sound over comand - if the fibre was at fault i do not think you would get any response from the phone. No harm in disconnecting everything & then plugging it al back again.

Also, with the phone kit wired & connected have you tried rebooting comand from the diagnostics menu?

I have used the W210 phone loom on 2 cars with success first time every time
part number A210 440 1409 costs about £70. . As last resort it could be worth trying a new loom.

Hi Steve,

It is a MB loom. I am only really clutching at straws with the loom because logically everything else has been tested with at least two units (except Comand). I have also metered the cables for continuity from the Mirror to the pse and even on to the PSE circuit board, and it all meters through OK.

What would be really useful if anyone local to me with a phone installation where I could substitute my parts just to check that they are all working correctly.(any one interested :D )

I have now also tried another 6310i but with no better results.

Last edited:
mrfiepro said:
Thanks for the responses.

Miro, can you suggest any other test I can do on the d2b loop. I have the MB version coding document and it all looks like it complies with that document. The only other divide on the loop is a CDC.

Regards

Assuming this is using W203 parts then I would have guessed the microphone takes power. Is there power on the Microphone lines.

Paul Hick in the USA has a plethora of WIS material on his website regarding phone installation. A good trawling will reveal many of the pin-outs and subtle details of the setup.

My other suggestion is to bypass the CDC and go 1:1 with the COMAND, that should prove something.

Here is the link

http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsite/

PS: I might be a bidder on the left-over parts.

great link Miro . very helpful.

Thanks Steve, Miro

Steve MBenzNL has suggested The cradle is worth a try, so I will play around with it this weekend. What voltage should I see across the mic pair from the PSE?

Miro, as far as the parts go I can't sell anything until I know what works and what doesn't.

regards

Last edited:
Miro,

Just an updated I am getting 3.606VDC across the mic pair, so I guess this should be OK. Any more ideas?

P

mrfiepro said:
Miro,

Just an updated I am getting 3.606VDC across the mic pair, so I guess this should be OK. Any more ideas?

P

It sounds like it is somewhere at the cradle or between the cradle and the PSE.

Check the cradle to see if all the pins are coming out to meet the phone. Do a continuity test on the pins. Pauls website can tell you which pins are what.

mrfiepro said:
Miro,

P

It sounds like it is somewhere at the cradle or between the cradle and the PSE.

Check the cradle to see if all the pins are coming out to meet the phone. Do a continuity test on the pins. Pauls website can tell you which pins are what.

Start on the isolated cradle and see if you can trace all the relevant continuity back to the PSE connection. You will need a 5m wire to test both ends since you will be going the long way. Time to phone a patient friend.

Miro,

Thankd for your help, I do have a spare cradle but that does not seem to work at all???? :confused:

I'll do all the testing tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

Regards

I have taken both cradles apart and one has burnt out componants on the pcb, the other one I can't get continuity on some of the cables.

I am told that the mic connection on the nokia 6310i are the first two towards the middle of phone in the bank with seven pins, I have metered them through and can't find any signals anywhere. So the lesson here is two cradles off Ebay and both knackered, however I didn't pay much for them.

Anyone got a spare cradle, and it would be useful if it were in working order.

I have replace the cradle and all is well. Thanks very much for all your help.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom